First Impressions of Pottermore Appear Online

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:24 PM

A few hours ago, early beta access was opened to a select few registered members of Pottermore, J. K. Rowling's newest Harry Potter project.  A few entertainment sites have posted early reviews and first impressions of the site.  Be warned, spoilers Entertainment Weekly had this to say of the site:

First things first, for those who were worried that this would be just the skeletal frame of a game used to sell audiobooks or ebooks or plush sorting hats or whatever: it’s not. Even though the site is currently limited to material relating to the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, there’s still more than enough to make your entire afternoon disappear like a temporus suckus spell.
EW delves further into the detail of the site, commenting on the different moments and elements included in Pottermore.  Big Shiny Robot also has a first impression review online, stepping through the first steps of the experience.  To hear their thoughts, click here to read.

A number of Leaky readers have let us know they been among those granted early access to the site. If you have, please do let us know @Leaky or in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

@Noz

I’m a Day 2er and I received my welcome email this morning. Though, I just got started a little while ago and the site went down for maintenance! Darn it!

Posted by Nickan8r71 on August 16, 2011, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

@Nickan8r71
Ok, so it confirms the rumor. I really don’t get it then. Why answer on the first day, with the toughest question, if people who have succeeded after us are granted access before us ? This is really disappointing… But congrats Nickan8r71 :-))

Posted by Noz on August 16, 2011, 09:49 AM report to moderator

I got in on the Beta. Just waiting for my welcome letter so I can get in. So excited!

Posted by ashowers36 on August 16, 2011, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

So far, it still seems like rumor to me. People keep saying that it’s random, but every single comment I saw yesterday from people who got in were from Day 1 registrants, and so far from what I’m seeing here the people who got in were Day 1 or Day 2. I’ve yet to see a post on Leaky from someone who registered on Day 5, for example, and has gotten in. Where are these rumors coming from? Different sites? Has anyone here registered later than Day 2 that is actually in Pottermore?

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 10:27 AM report to moderator

Cant wait!!!

Posted by vkooly on August 16, 2011, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I’d say it’s at least more than just chronological, or I’d logically have received my mail by now. If people from day 2 have gotten in, then it’s at least random within the day 1 and 2 group.

Posted by Noz on August 16, 2011, 10:33 AM report to moderator

I got early registration! I just got in in week 3…

Posted by Jeffrey.Potter on August 16, 2011, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

I was a day 5 and still haven’t received the mail yet… so, still waiting. Concerning the media been let in before the rest of us, I think is pretty normal. Publicity is very important you know… sadly they are revealing the details even before all the beta users have been let in… this should’ve happened afterwards… just before the october registration process…

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 16, 2011, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Well, that may be true. I was just hoping that registartion was going a bit faster. But I guess there are also some Day 1 folks who haven’t gotten their welcome email yet but Day 2 folks who have, so that is strange. Gives me some hope, though! I got in on Day 4. I think the process is fair, even if it’s random. People have all kinds of different schedules and obligations that may have found it impossible to try any sooner than they did. That’s why I think the Pottermore folks staggared the times. It gave equal chance to all to register early by allowing for different times. Otherwise, only people who’s schedules allowed them to get up at midnight and watch their computer would have had a chance to get in. I know it’s hard to wait, but sounds like it will be well worth it once we do all get in!

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

the argument that people who got in on the first day should get in first because they worked to stay up to get in doesn’t really make sense. A LOT of people stayed up and didn’t get in. I know there are people who tried to get in all week, but didn’t get in until day 7…it almost seems like since they worked harder, they should get in first! So, random makes perfect sense to me. And in case your wondering, I got in on day 3, so in order of registration WOULD benefit me…but I still think random is fair.

Posted by Rin68nyr on August 16, 2011, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I’m sure it will be worth it :-)
And I still think the process is a tad unfair. In my time zone I had to stay up till 4am, but I did it happily, hoping to get in according to my registration day. I just hope I’ll receive my mail today, or tomorrow…

Posted by Noz on August 16, 2011, 10:53 AM report to moderator
Imagescaf0zk2w_thumb

OMG soooooooo cool i still didnt get my email :(

Posted by #1harrypotterfan{ROAR} on August 16, 2011, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I’m not saying that people who got in on the first day should get in first because they WORKED to stay up. I’m staying they should get in first, simply because they were first online. When you wait in a line to get a movie/theater/exhibition/concert ticket, it’s only fair that people who are the first to wait are the first to get a ticket right ? The same should go for Pottermore. Ah well, I’ll just wait, with as much patience as I can

Posted by Noz on August 16, 2011, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Noz, the diffenence is is that the registration process wasn’t really a line – it was musical chairs. So once all the chairs are filled and those who don’t have a seat are just – out – then what? How do you then decide who gets in the castle in what order? It is tricky, when you think about it.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 11:03 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

I think that random authorizations are in order. I think that the reason PM gave 7 opportunities to early access was because the site was going to collapse if they let everyone in at the same time just as it did the first time. However once you found the quill you became part of the million people who were granted that early access. From then on, I suppose we were equals, otherwise there would be beta users of the beta users… Come on!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 16, 2011, 11:07 AM report to moderator

"I didn't put my name in that goblet!" said Harry, starting to feel angry.[br]"Yeah, okay," said Ron, in exactly the same sceptical tone as Cedric. "Only you said this morning you'd have done it last night, and no one would've seen you... I'm not stupid,