Early Beta Testing Access for Pottermore Begins; October Registration to Open Soon

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:19 AM

The Pottemore Insider Blog has just been updated to announce that early access to Pottermore has begun for those who found those Magical Quills and signed up for a chance at early access.  The blog post, in part, reads:

We’re excited to announce that early access to Pottermore has begun, so if you’re one of the million people who found The Magical Quill and registered for early access, please read the rest of this Insider  post carefully.
The most important thing to know is that we need to stagger entry to the ‘Beta’ (early) version of Pottermore so we can properly collect all the feedback. To begin with, we’ll be inviting a very small number of people onto the website, so you may not receive your Welcome email straight away.
We’ll be sending those Welcome emails out over the coming weeks and, once yours arrives, you’ll be able to log in and start helping us develop the Pottermore experience.
The blog post continues, describing the way in which beta testers may give feedback to the site, including a feedback button and survey for each beta tester.
Finally, the blog post makes mention of registration for the October.  The post states:
- If you have submitted your email address to be notified when registration is open to all, then you’ll be hearing from us soon, and you'll be able to register for entry in October.
- If you asked to be notified when registration was open to all but also registered for Beta, then you may receive two emails from us. You do not have to register for October if you already have a validated early access (Beta) account. In other words, if you received a Beta ‘Congratulations!’ message then you can ignore the ‘Pottermore registration is now open’ email (although do feel free to forward it to your friends!).
Stick very close to Leaky for the latest!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

I think they are trying to diversify the people they let on in each batch/day. We had to put our age and country, so I’m sure they are letting people of every age and every country in each group they let in to get a good representation sample. It looks like they are also diversifying based on the day you registered, but hopefully more Day 1-3 people are getting in 1st since we had the harder questions. I registered on Day 1 and haven’t gotten a welcome email yet. Hopefully, if everything has gone smoothly, they will start letting bigger groups in at one time.

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on August 15, 2011, 11:36 PM report to moderator

Is it true that people actually finished the first book ALREADY? If it is. That’s disappointing. Shouldn’t have Pottermore make it longer? At least a few months or something but WTF?

Posted by TheOtherHorcrux on August 15, 2011, 11:42 PM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@harrypotterfan808 it’d make perfect sense.. if I had my welcome mail but I still don’t!!! aaaaaaaargh!! and all other mails came through so quickly I thought I was bound to get in yesterday!! (here in Italy it’s 6:16 AM, that’s why I havn’t been adding comments 4 a while: I was finally sleeping..!)
thk AlexandraMayWood.. at this point WE ARE being perfectly reasonable, it’s someone at pottermore that clearly isn’t! ;D come on guys.. it’s about time!!!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 12:44 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@Lexi*the*Auror I completely agree.. plus could you imagine, for one second, getting in next WEEK while some guy entered yesterday???? how many owl breeds in Eeylops Empotium vs. how many deathly hallows ..NO WAY. COME ON POTTERMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 12:51 AM report to moderator

Another Day 1 (in by 4:20 a.m. EST) registrant still waiting for entry e-mail. I was also hoping the first-come, first-served policy applied to early entry order, though I know they wish to diversify beyond English language users. Sigh…patience, patience, patience.

Posted by Floofeather12 on August 16, 2011, 01:21 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

I wonder if it depends on the fact that I havn’t chosen my birth language (Italian) but English.. there are of course a fewer Italian speaking on pottermore than English ones.. I should have chosen the most likely to be needed.. but then I’ve great issues with all the names changed and stuff! the other day my sis asked me what would my “molliccio” turn into ..and it took me AGES to realise she was talking about a boggart!! there’s no possible way I’m doing it in another language!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 01:29 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@floofeather12 that’s one of the many things JK made us all learn: patience! ;D

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 01:31 AM report to moderator
74305_1474689033448_1420352229_31121636_3800057_n_thumb

I’m in!

Posted by AmberMV on August 16, 2011, 01:58 AM report to moderator
Dordogne_2011__435__thumb

OMG, so excited!!! Can’t wait to get in!!! I got the quill on the first day… so I hope I’ll get my welcoming mail soon!!

Posted by moonstone nox on August 16, 2011, 02:02 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@AmberMV lucky you!! you mean you actually just received the welcome mail and got in? this’d mean these mail are still being sent and us 1st days could get in within THIS week! maybe even within TODAY!!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 02:37 AM report to moderator
Natterjack_toad_thumb

@nexthursday – You’re so right about the name changes, I hate it too! Once I read something about a Schnatz and I laughed so loud because I thought it was a made up name; it sounded so ridiculous. But then I realised it’s the german translation for the snitch, urgh!

By the way, still waiting for entrance!!!

Posted by Ninath on August 16, 2011, 03:07 AM report to moderator
Roxicons-icon42_thumb

It looks like not everyone from the 1st day of the challenge got in yesterday. I registered on the 1st day within the 1st hour of the challenge and I still have not recieved my welcome email. :/

Posted by Heiwa on August 16, 2011, 03:09 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@Ninath I know!!!!!!! I hate so say this, but the translated versions are not the same.. don’t get me wrong, I read “Harry Potter e la pietra filosofale” when I was 10 or so.. I wouldn’t have been able to read it in English at that time, so I’m totally grateful for the translations.. still, they made some awful mistakes (at least in the Italian version) and changes that give you the wrong idea of something/someone.. one that really hurts me (and JK as well!) is Dumbledore’s name, changed into “Silente”, which means (as the assoncace tells you) silent/quiet in Italian.. ok, it’s true that Dumbledore kept many things “silent” for a while ;D but this definitely wasn’t in the translator’s minds back in the 90s!! anyways, translations and different ways to pronounce names can be fun, but the original version is incomparable!! plus, I’m so used to re-reading it I’ve forgotten the “Italian way”!! ;D sorry for the detour, I just need to keep my mind busy while I wait for that mail to arrive!!!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 04:30 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@Heiwa did you choose a different access language from your national one? this may be the reason (I’m desperately trying to find a sense to this horrible waiting..!)

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 04:34 AM report to moderator
Natterjack_toad_thumb

@ nexthursday – Luckily I read the english version first. I’m so grateful for that, not only got Harry Potter me into reading english books, but when I read the translation after umpteenth times of reading the original, I couldn’t believe the many mistakes in there, and I don’t consider myself as an english expert.
And not only the names. A few times I actually thought the translater either didn’t understand the story or he simply can’t speak english!!! It was awful and I’m never going to read the translation ever again!

Posted by Ninath on August 16, 2011, 04:45 AM report to moderator

"Amusing man, your father, wasn't he?" said Snape, shaking Harry so hard that his glasses slipped down his nose.[br]"I -- didn't --"[br]Snape threw Harry from him with all his might. Harry fell hard onto the dungeon floor.[br]"You will not repeat what you