Early Beta Testing Access for Pottermore Begins; October Registration to Open Soon

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:19 AM

The Pottemore Insider Blog has just been updated to announce that early access to Pottermore has begun for those who found those Magical Quills and signed up for a chance at early access.  The blog post, in part, reads:

We’re excited to announce that early access to Pottermore has begun, so if you’re one of the million people who found The Magical Quill and registered for early access, please read the rest of this Insider  post carefully.
The most important thing to know is that we need to stagger entry to the ‘Beta’ (early) version of Pottermore so we can properly collect all the feedback. To begin with, we’ll be inviting a very small number of people onto the website, so you may not receive your Welcome email straight away.
We’ll be sending those Welcome emails out over the coming weeks and, once yours arrives, you’ll be able to log in and start helping us develop the Pottermore experience.
The blog post continues, describing the way in which beta testers may give feedback to the site, including a feedback button and survey for each beta tester.
Finally, the blog post makes mention of registration for the October.  The post states:
- If you have submitted your email address to be notified when registration is open to all, then you’ll be hearing from us soon, and you'll be able to register for entry in October.
- If you asked to be notified when registration was open to all but also registered for Beta, then you may receive two emails from us. You do not have to register for October if you already have a validated early access (Beta) account. In other words, if you received a Beta ‘Congratulations!’ message then you can ignore the ‘Pottermore registration is now open’ email (although do feel free to forward it to your friends!).
Stick very close to Leaky for the latest!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

The site may just be unavailable because they’re working on some updates based on the first day of beta testing. Don’t despair !

Posted by HermionesAunt on August 16, 2011, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Stmungosspew_thumb

@AlexandraMayWood i cant wait that long either!!! but i will just have to!! she can only let in a couple thousand people a day or else the server will crash!!! pottermore isnt working rite now.., they r making some updates or something

Posted by ahaque521 on August 16, 2011, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@Talenami yep, I got to the same conclusion late yesterday night.. or early this morning..!! ;D let’s just hope they fix the site quick enough to let all day1 in asap.. and don’t listen to those papers, as mine, they LIE!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Natterjack_toad_thumb

Why can’t they just update their blog or twitter account more often, so we know what’s going on?!?

Posted by Ninath on August 16, 2011, 10:26 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

yeah.. I wouldn’t be refreshing all my panels every 30 seconds to see if anything has happened!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Wolf_4_thumb

@nexthursday, of course i don’t listen to those papers – even if they make a nastier reading than yours – but my adamant beliefs about my actual age don’t seem to be of any help in beating the age policy on Pottermore. Sigh…
I went back and read your comments on translations, and I fully agree with you. I only got book one in Italian, then I switched to the English version – much more enjoiable, and quicker on the book shelf – so I’m not even familiar with the translation. I still shudder when I read thins like “babbani” or “McGrannitt”, but, until now, I had been spared horrors like “molliccio”. Urgh!
I’m still refreshing my email every 5 seconds, hoping to get the congratulations letter al teast. It would mean they have taken my humble person into account, wouldn’tit?

Posted by Talenami on August 16, 2011, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Imagesca5dnhp9_thumb

If the server crashes when just a few thousand people have signed in, what’s going to happen in October when the whole world wants to.

Posted by Luna294 aka Silver on August 16, 2011, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Natterjack_toad_thumb

Maybe they do something to let more people in at once - just hopeful thinking, sigh!

Posted by Ninath on August 16, 2011, 10:40 AM report to moderator
Stmungosspew_thumb

@Luna294 I was thinking the same thing!! a lot more than 1 million people are gonna wanna enter pottermore in october… they have to make the server stronger b/c it will crash!

Posted by ahaque521 on August 16, 2011, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Wolf_4_thumb

@Luna294, that’s why they are beta-testing the Pottermore site in this way and carefully staggering the entries. They have to adjust their servers – and some of the contents – to the real requirements.
I also think that running a site like Pottermore is really a new thing. For instance, most of the the existing huge MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) sites started from scratch ages ago, with a few hundred players each, and SLOWLY got to their present size, gradually adding and uptdating and adjusting their structures to meet the demand of the thousand and eventually millions of new users. But Pottermore will abruptly start with MILLIONS of users – only us beta.testers are a million! That’s why they’re choosing such a soft approach. I bet they’re working full steam in order to squeeze what other huge sites achieved in years within just a couple of months!

Posted by Talenami on August 16, 2011, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

@Talenami I forgot about “McGrannit”!! aargh!! I got shivers down my spine for that!!! there are a few picky Italians who KNOW how to read properly.. ;D I’m happy I found one here too!
I guess we’ll all keep on refreshing till we forget who we are (but not what we’re doing it for) until we’ll eventually get in and find ourselves together again as we are now, in pottermore ..just knowing this is actually going to happen no matter when is amazing.. all this waiting is frustrating, we all know it is, but we also know it’s worth!! thanks to JK and those pottermore guys who I bet are stressed out in front of their monitors just like us..
this is a pioneer site/experience ..and we knew the beta version would be like this! nerving while waiting and full of surprises once you put your hands on it: JK style! ;D

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 11:13 AM report to moderator
Denver_thumb

I meant Italians AND not native English speaking in general! I like this kind of “pickyness”!!

Posted by nexthursday aka Flame on August 16, 2011, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Stmungosspew_thumb

ikr!! i keep refreshing pottermore, pottermore insider, pottermore twitter and my email!!!

Posted by ahaque521 on August 16, 2011, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Stmungosspew_thumb

i wish pottermore would tell us y they r down on insider or on there twitter!!!!

Posted by ahaque521 on August 16, 2011, 11:33 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I’m constantly hearing tht they are letting in day 1-7 randomly but so far I’ve only heard from day 1’s. I think they are only letting in day 1’s. This is the way it should be. I also think tht it said on her site tht they would let people in by the first to register. I didn’t get in until day 6 and don’t expect to see anything until late Sept but would be well pleased to see it sooner.

Posted by molly43 on August 16, 2011, 12:22 PM report to moderator

He racked his brains. A really, really happy memory... one that he could turn into a good, strong Patronus...[br]The moment when he'd first found out he was a wizard, and would be leaving the Dursleys for Hogwarts! If that wasn't a happy memory, he didn't

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014