J.K. Rowling Talks About "Who Do You Think You Are?" Episode with Radio Times

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 01, 2011, 10:39 PM

Author J.K. Rowling recently gave an interview to Radio Times magazine in conjunction with her upcoming episode for the BBC show, "Who Do You Think You Are?"

As Leaky reported in June, Ms. Rowling decided to appear on the show to trace her mother's French ancestry. Excerpts from her interview were published by the AP and can be seen below:

Rowling told the Radio Times that the experience was an upsetting and emotional one. She said taking part in her genealogy research made her so emotional that she cried several times.

"There were a lot of big surprises, some wonderful, and one rather upsetting," she said in an interview.

"However, I went into the program wanting the truth, no matter what it was, because I knew so little about my French ancestry, and I don't regret a moment of it. I loved the whole experience," she added.
She said that she has undertook the project because her mother Anne Volant, who died in 1990, was very interested in her French roots but never got the chance to explore them.

"A huge motivation in looking into my family history is my mother. It's very much bound up in that loss," she said.
J.K. Rowling's episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" is expected towards the end of this month.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Goofydan_thumb

The American version of Who Do You Think You Are is my favourite show. I hope they import this episode from the BBC at some point, I know they’ve done that with some of the other British episodes. It would be absolutely awesome to see this one.

Posted by Allstar on August 01, 2011, 10:53 PM report to moderator
Pic_20_2312ma14060069-0001_thumb

Mine too! Great show and it’s real stories.I would LOVE to see Jo’s mum family history.I bet it was emotional for her like she said.Would make us love her even more,if that’s possible.

Posted by Dlcohm7 on August 01, 2011, 11:15 PM report to moderator
Scrap_tiger_1879__thumb

Yes, one of my favorites too. Have always thought I’d love to trace my roots too, but you never know what you’ll be faced with. We had a branch of the family that seemed just gone completely after WWII, and you would have to be ready for what you might find -I suspect that could be the case for JKR as well. Very emotional thing for anyone to look into. I do hope they show it here too -who can we write to?

Posted by CathrynOCamdentowne on August 02, 2011, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Its a good show…

Posted by Won_Two on August 02, 2011, 12:34 AM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_thumb

it will be interesting to watch

Posted by LoopeyLooneyLuna on August 02, 2011, 01:51 AM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

Hope they take this episode state side!

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on August 02, 2011, 02:10 AM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I can’t wait to see this, I can see that this is very important to Jo and it’ll be great to see what she’s found out!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on August 02, 2011, 02:41 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

It is a fascinating show. I hope that we will get to see this one about Rowling here in the US. Anyone know if they will show it, or will it only be in the UK?

Posted by Eeyore on August 02, 2011, 02:53 AM report to moderator

Can’t wait to see this!! I love this show and I’d always hoped they’d one day do an episode with Jo. :-)

Posted by JuleBule on August 02, 2011, 05:35 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

well maybe I’ll get to see it someday :(

Posted by mencia on August 02, 2011, 06:39 AM report to moderator
600full-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows_-part-2-screenshot_thumb

This episode will be soo good love you J.K !!!

Posted by maddison R-O-A-R on August 02, 2011, 06:40 AM report to moderator
Shaw__4__thumb

Love that show.

Posted by HogwartsForever on August 02, 2011, 09:08 AM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

never seen it, but it looks really interesting ! Good job to JK for wanting to explore her roots !

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on August 02, 2011, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I think I’ll be watching that :D

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 02, 2011, 09:53 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Can’t wait to watch it! I love the show!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 02, 2011, 10:07 AM report to moderator

"There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one."