Dan Radcliffe Interviewed by Total Film Indonesia

Radcliffe
Posted by: Mel
July 09, 2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com, we have an excellent interview with Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) which will be featured in the magazine Total Film Indonesia. The interview touches on a variety of topics, but mostly Radcliffe's work habits on the set of Harry Potter:

After all this… you remain so polite, patient and enthusiastic – even to the point of talking to all the little Hufflepuffs between takes. How are you not a total diva?

(laugh) I don’t know. I love talking to the background because we have great kids on our films. They’re brilliant and they all want to be there. In the earlier films, there were some quite obnoxious kids in the background. On the last few films, they have just been brilliant. I think that, if you’re an actor, especially if you’re the principal in something, you have to see yourself as the… just like Amanda Knight is the head of the make-up department, and Lisa Tomblin is the head of hair, and Jany Temime is head of costume, you have to view yourself as the head of your department. So you lead by example and set a good example. I hate the hierarchy of the film industry. It’s one of the only things I dislike about the film industry. You hear horror stories about actors that won’t let people talk to them. I just think that, to be honest, if you’re doing that, you must be pretty stupid. There are moments, obviously, when you say, “I just want to be alone now”. That’s fine… but I think I have a more interesting day talking to them than I would be just chatting to myself. If you’re involved and you’re checking that everyone’s all right, everyone knows what they’re doing. There’s a legendary man called Michael Stevenson, who’s been in the film industry since long before I was a twinkle in my parents’ eye, and he is just amazing with names, If we have a Great Hall scene with four hundred extras, he will know every single one of them by their first name. He’s phenomenal. I watch him because he’s always going around and checking, “Do you know what you’re doing? Do you know what you’re think at this point?” Eventually I want to direct one day so you learn from people like that, in terms of how to run a set… how to make everyone work as happily and as most efficiently as they can. That’s kind of the art of being on a film set, I think: happy efficiency. If you can get that, then you’ll probably make a good film. Even if you don’t, everyone will want to work with you again.

Radcliffe also discusses the Epilogue and gives readers a peak into what it'll look like as well as the personalities of the actors playing his children:

Tell us about the epilogue. Who ages best?

Me. Out of the boys, me. Rupert does not age well (laugh) Obviously [Emma and Bonnie Wright] aged better. They aged the best but the boys were all, like, “Yeah, give us the fat suits!”

...

How about your own children?

My children are adorable. My children are fantastic. They’re wonderful, sweet, all of them. Arthur [Bowen] is very good, sort of the quietest of the three and he plays Albus. He’s very, very sweet, young polite. And then there’s the other two. There’s Will Dunn who plays my elder son… who is…

James?

James! Thank you very much. Oh god… I should have read that script better (laugh). He reminded me a lot of me when I met him in the auditions. I think that’s why I was like “he has to be one of my kids!” Even though he’s not as pale as I am but he has this… he’s very chatty, he’s fourteen… kind of like how I think I am – very bright but not academic. he had a lot of trouble at school. Not trouble but, you know, school wasn’t easy for him, like it wasn’t for me. And he’s super bright, a really smart kid, so that was great to have him as my son. And then there’s Daphnie [de Beistegui] who plays Lily. She was amazing. She’s just like this little, incredible creature. She kind of basically adopted me as her father for the days that we were filming. So she would sort of be hanging onto me as we were walking around the set, which was great. And she’s really, really sweet. They’re all so smart, Arthur, Will and Daphne are all very bright.

You can read the rest of the interview here. Thanks again to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Jenavieve_one_thumb

forst comment ! coolio !

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on July 09, 2011, 08:15 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I can’t wait to see the epilogue! I’m really excited to see what Dan, Rupert, Emma and Bonnie look like!

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on July 09, 2011, 09:28 PM report to moderator

The full article is great! There are some (finally) new questions that not every interviewer has been asking, asking, asking!!!
Dan is jut a total doll…

Posted by Maestra2 on July 09, 2011, 10:43 PM report to moderator
881_thumb

Dan has to be my favorite actors….singing dancing acting directing…is there anything he won’t do?:)

Posted by tough~pygmy~puffs*ROAR* on July 10, 2011, 12:11 AM report to moderator

That’s great! I really admire Dan! (: I just love how he described each and everyone of the actors/actress that plays his children! Doesn’t Will (James) sound like Dan? Very chatty! Doesn’t Arthur (Albus) sound like Rupert? Very quiet! And doesn’t Danphine (Lily) sound like Emma? She’s very sweet and amazing! I’m sorry, but I think this could be the next big trio! :D

Posted by . on July 10, 2011, 02:21 AM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Dan’s great! He just gets better as he gets older. I wish him nothing less than success!

Everybody like my new avatar??:)

Posted by iamminerva on July 10, 2011, 05:43 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Excellent article very fun to read.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on July 10, 2011, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Nice article…

Posted by Won_Two on July 10, 2011, 08:25 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Great interview

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 11, 2011, 11:31 AM report to moderator

He is so proud of the kids, he sounds like he is really Harry talking about his children. :)
I’m sure the fact he treats everyone on set the same has helped to keep everyone with their feet on the ground and to make them feel they are an important part of the film. It’s great he appreaciates everyone who works in these films. He can be a great director someday.

Posted by ethanHP on July 11, 2011, 11:52 AM report to moderator
Self_acceptance_by_jenniholma_1__normal_thumb

Awesome interview!

Posted by Aceba {WBM} on July 11, 2011, 01:00 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

They are cute! He will make a great dad one day!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 16, 2011, 04:38 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"[Harry's] not a child!" said Sirius impatiently.[br]"He's not an adult either!" said Mrs. Weasley, the color rising in her cheeks. "He's not [i]James,[/i] Sirius!"[br]"I'm perfectly clear who he is, thanks, Molly," said Sirius coldly.