Parade Magazine Highlights Quidditch and the Real Life People Who Play It

Fans
Posted by: Mel
July 08, 2011, 07:42 PM

There is a new article in Parade magazine which focuses on Harry Potter fans' love of Quidditch, as well as those fans who became so enamored when reading about the sport that they decided to create a real life counterpart:

Adapted from J.K. Rowling’s fierce flying matches, ground Quidditch—a cross between rugby, basketball, dodgeball, and tag—began at Middlebury College in 2005. Freshman Alex Benepe and his friends were bored of playing boccie and devised rules for the wizardly game. Soon 10 coed teams formed across campus. “It was a hit right from the start,” Benepe says. “Harry Potter is like the Star Wars of my generation.”

You can read the rest of the article here. And take a look at pictures of future Viktor Krums and Gwenog Joneses here in Parade's photo gallery of the sport of Quidditch.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Seems so much fun! Probably the only sport I would ever play.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on July 10, 2011, 08:56 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_capture_thumb

Awesome! I wish I could play…

Posted by sirius33 on July 10, 2011, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Profile_thumb

So, I’ve never personally considered playing team sports before… this kinda changes my mind!

Posted by willowandlaylasmom on July 10, 2011, 11:54 PM report to moderator

I really want to play Quidditch!! I would love to create a team!

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 12, 2011, 11:02 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Its kinda cool, but I prefer the real thing!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 16, 2011, 04:29 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"It's a disgusting thing to call someone," said Ron, wiping his sweaty brow with a shaking hand. "Dirty blood, see. Common blood. It's ridiculous. Most wizards these days are half-blood anyway. If we hadn't married Muggles we'd've died out."