Excerpts from Dan Radcliffe's Interview in August 2011 GQ: Going Teetotal, Child Actors and Post-Potter Projects

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
July 04, 2011, 04:38 PM

Excerpts from the interview Daniel Radcliffe gave to men's magazine GQ have now appeared online via The Telegraph. Although the August 2011 issue isn't out until the 7th July, The Telegraph has a number of quotes from Radcliffe about choosing a quieter lifestyle and the reasoning behind his choice to go teetotal last summer:

As much as I would love to be a person that goes to parties and has a couple of drinks and has a nice time, that doesn't work for me. I do that very unsuccessfully. I'd just rather sit at home and read, or talk to somebody that makes me laugh. There's no shame in enjoying the quiet life. And that's been the realisation of the past few years for me.
Once again the actor spoke about life after Potter, specifically his choice to take on new projects, saying, "If I can make a career for myself after Potter, and it goes well, and is varied and with longevity, then that puts to bed the 'child actors argument'."

You can read The Telegraph's write-up on the interview at this link and find Daniel Radcliffe's playlist here on the GQ website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

Wow! I’m surprised to hear Dan Radcliffe speak of a problem with drinking. I’m happy for him that he realized his problem early on so that it didn’t prevent him from having a bright future in acting. Good for him! Wonder if his relationship with Gary Oldman had any influence in his decision to change.

Posted by Silvery Doe on July 05, 2011, 12:01 PM report to moderator

Well Silvery Doe, I think the thing is, like you, some people will misunderstand this and blow it out of proportion, like the media always does… I don’t think he had any problem most young people (and older people) have nowadays. People go to parties, and drink as if it isn’t anything bad. But it is, even if it is not much, it can lead to serious problems. And I think that’s what Dan is talking about, he decided to stop living like that before it could lead to a real problem.

Posted by ethanHP on July 05, 2011, 01:06 PM report to moderator
315475_491136950901884_1807119504_n_thumb

good 4 dan reading leads 2 much better careers than parties do

Posted by athena lupin on July 05, 2011, 04:01 PM report to moderator
From_start_to_finish_by_tian_cai-d33cmh1_thumb

can’t wait to get this magazine! good luck dan! and i’m glad u r doing well with ur girlfriend!

Posted by handhrfan18 on July 05, 2011, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

AHH! DON’T LET POTTER END!

Posted by silverkacy on July 05, 2011, 06:55 PM report to moderator

Honestly, how great is he?!
That’s very brave to come clean about his old ways. So proud of him for not touching alcohol for a while now. It’s such a dose of confidence for everyone out there, struggling to be something they’re not. Thanks Dan for being so real, honest, and your true self… you are a role model, just like Harry.

Posted by emdash84 on July 06, 2011, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Its good that he knows whats good for him! Great role model!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 11, 2011, 05:15 PM report to moderator

When the whole class was seated, Lockhart cleared his throat loudly and silence fell. He reached forward, picked up Neville Longbottom's copy of [i]Travels with Trolls,[/i] and held it up to show his own, winking portrait on the front.[br]"Me," he said, p

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014