Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge Begins July 31

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 30, 2011, 10:33 PM

The Pottermore Insider Blog and website have been updated this blog post and link, revealing more about J. K. Rowling's latest project:

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the hidden link in our 'You ask, we answer' blog post from 19 July, which took you to an interview J.K. Rowling gave in 2000.

In the interview was some interesting information about a Magical Quill, located in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Magical Quill detects the birth of a magical child and writes their name down in a large book.

Every year, Professor McGonagall checks the book and sends owls to the children who are turning eleven, to inform themthat they have a place at Hogwarts. Each day for seven days, from 31 July to 6 August, we will be placing a clue on the Pottermore homepage to help you locate The Magical Quill. If you find it, you'll have the chance to gain early access to Pottermore.

There will be a new clue every day, and each clue will relate to a different book in the Harry Potter series. On Day 1 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, on Day 2 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and so forth. The clues will also vary in difficulty. On Days 1-3 the clues will be harder, and on Days 4-7 the clues will be easier.

To find The Magical Quill, you need to solve the clue and add the answer to the end of the web address. This will lead you to a website where The Magical Quill will be located while early access places are available. The Magical Quill's location will change every day.
Example
Clue: How many books are there in the Harry Potter series? Multiply this number by 10.
Answer: 70
Add this number to the end of the website address. (In this case it would be http://quill.pottermore.com/70)
Hit 'Return' to go to the website where The Magical Quill is located.
Once you have found The Magical Quill, you will be redirected to Pottermore.com. If the registration process is still open for that day, you will be able to submit your details to register to access Pottermore early.

It's important to note that finding The Magical Quill does not guarantee you access to registration, as registration will only remain openwhile the early access places allocated for the relevant day, between 31 July to 6 August, are available.

Don't worry if you don’t manage to register first time. There will be plenty of opportunities to find The Magical Quill as we will be revealing a new clue each day from 31 July to 6 August. For those who miss out on earlyaccess to Pottermore, please note the site will be open to all from October. Keep visiting Pottermore to find out when registration commences.

We won't be telling you when a clue goes live, so you'll need to keep a careful eye on Pottermore.com over the seven-day period. However, we will let you know, via Pottermore.com and the Insider, when registration for a particular day has come to an end.

Finally, please note that we will not be enabling early access to the site straight away. Once The Magical Quill challenge is over, we will send successful early access registrants a Welcome email, letting them know whenthey will be able to access Pottermore. We won’t be able to let everyone into the Beta site at the same time, so please be patient with us. You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hmm I still haven’t received my validation e-mail and I registered before all the posts started.

Posted by Dfarmer99 on July 31, 2011, 05:08 AM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

I managed to find the quill, I registered and now I’m waiting for my mail!

Posted by Despina on July 31, 2011, 05:08 AM report to moderator

I am frustrated that i cant seem to get to the right page….i keep getting to the sony.com page and thats it…what am i doing wrong or am i too late?

Posted by hp82176 on July 31, 2011, 05:15 AM report to moderator

I registered about 45 minutes ago and still haven’t gotten the first email with joining instructions, in my inbox or junk folder! Is anyone else in the same boat, or better yet, has anyone else gotten their email after having to wait this long or longer for it? I’ll be so sad if my registration expires because of an email glitch. I can’t find anything in the help pages that specifically addresses this or a support email address . . . anyone else?

Posted by amande on July 31, 2011, 05:16 AM report to moderator

Got registered, got email, just waiting to see if i get picked for early access.

Posted by jderrick on July 31, 2011, 05:16 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Been around 30 mins for me, still no email…..

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 05:18 AM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

@Amande: I’m hoping the exact same thing. Got in about 40 minutes ago, and still no email. I’m terrified of a glitch. D:

About how long are most people having to wait for their emails?

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on July 31, 2011, 05:20 AM report to moderator

I got in! I am now RiverSword158. Wish I could’ve chosen though… I won’t rememeber that….
Just excitedly waiting for my email now!

Posted by Moony Lupin on July 31, 2011, 05:20 AM report to moderator
Me__xd_thumb

@amande I’ve been waiting for almost an hour now and still haven’t gotten an email. I really wanted to stay up and wait for the email, but it is 4AM here and I’m exhausted.

Posted by Naners on July 31, 2011, 05:21 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Check that, I been waitin 1 hour and 15 mins.

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 05:21 AM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

@ amande i’ve been waiting for over an hour now and still haven’t got mine either, guess it’s busy.. i presume the whole 48 hour thing will be once they have sent your email and not from when you first registered… hold tight the owls have a long way to fly!

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on July 31, 2011, 05:24 AM report to moderator

I got my email but when I clicked the link to activate it said that there was an error and asked me to create a new Pottermore account! Has this happened to anyone?

Posted by Loopy Lucy on July 31, 2011, 05:25 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

now THAT has to suck Lucy

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 05:27 AM report to moderator
Crookshanks_thumb

@Loopy Lucy, yes that happened to me, I just clicked “sign in” at the top of the page and it worked. Hope you can get in!

Posted by Eillac on July 31, 2011, 05:28 AM report to moderator

ok, i did that and afterwards all i see is a message that says: “To ensure the exciting world of Pottermore is as magical as possible, a million lucky registrants will be given early access to the site to help us shape the experience before the site is open to all in October. If you are selected, please keep checking your inbox, because from 31st July you will receive an email granting you early access to Pottermore!” That can’t be right, can it?

Posted by Loopy Lucy on July 31, 2011, 05:31 AM report to moderator

"You could've fried an egg on your face" said Ron. "You'd better hope Creevey doesn't meet Ginny, or they'll be starting a Harry Potter fan club."[br]"Shut up," snapped Harry.