Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge Begins July 31

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 30, 2011, 10:33 PM

The Pottermore Insider Blog and website have been updated this blog post and link, revealing more about J. K. Rowling's latest project:

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the hidden link in our 'You ask, we answer' blog post from 19 July, which took you to an interview J.K. Rowling gave in 2000.

In the interview was some interesting information about a Magical Quill, located in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Magical Quill detects the birth of a magical child and writes their name down in a large book.

Every year, Professor McGonagall checks the book and sends owls to the children who are turning eleven, to inform themthat they have a place at Hogwarts. Each day for seven days, from 31 July to 6 August, we will be placing a clue on the Pottermore homepage to help you locate The Magical Quill. If you find it, you'll have the chance to gain early access to Pottermore.

There will be a new clue every day, and each clue will relate to a different book in the Harry Potter series. On Day 1 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, on Day 2 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and so forth. The clues will also vary in difficulty. On Days 1-3 the clues will be harder, and on Days 4-7 the clues will be easier.

To find The Magical Quill, you need to solve the clue and add the answer to the end of the web address. This will lead you to a website where The Magical Quill will be located while early access places are available. The Magical Quill's location will change every day.
Example
Clue: How many books are there in the Harry Potter series? Multiply this number by 10.
Answer: 70
Add this number to the end of the website address. (In this case it would be http://quill.pottermore.com/70)
Hit 'Return' to go to the website where The Magical Quill is located.
Once you have found The Magical Quill, you will be redirected to Pottermore.com. If the registration process is still open for that day, you will be able to submit your details to register to access Pottermore early.

It's important to note that finding The Magical Quill does not guarantee you access to registration, as registration will only remain openwhile the early access places allocated for the relevant day, between 31 July to 6 August, are available.

Don't worry if you don’t manage to register first time. There will be plenty of opportunities to find The Magical Quill as we will be revealing a new clue each day from 31 July to 6 August. For those who miss out on earlyaccess to Pottermore, please note the site will be open to all from October. Keep visiting Pottermore to find out when registration commences.

We won't be telling you when a clue goes live, so you'll need to keep a careful eye on Pottermore.com over the seven-day period. However, we will let you know, via Pottermore.com and the Insider, when registration for a particular day has come to an end.

Finally, please note that we will not be enabling early access to the site straight away. Once The Magical Quill challenge is over, we will send successful early access registrants a Welcome email, letting them know whenthey will be able to access Pottermore. We won’t be able to let everyone into the Beta site at the same time, so please be patient with us. You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Me_thumb

That’s the welcome email, you have to get the validation email and validate your registration within 48 hours

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 04:54 AM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

Does anybody know when we’ll get our emails? My friend who also got in said she thought she read on one of the registration pages that we won’t get them for awhile since this is bound to get crazy…

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on July 31, 2011, 04:55 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Well, much to my surprise I have managed to register, and am now awaiting my email.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 31, 2011, 04:56 AM report to moderator

Got in! Waiting for the email. Exciting, but really frustrating. I hope in comes in the next couple of days if not hours.

Posted by martinse08 on July 31, 2011, 04:57 AM report to moderator
Avatars_bookauthor_quote_aug_003_thumb

I got in within the first minute or two. We should all be in the very earliest of invites since it says first come first serve for the invites after the contest is over.

Posted by Mooner on July 31, 2011, 04:57 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Sposed to get a validation email and validate your registration within 48 hours. You get a Welcome email that may take several weeks, telling you when you can actually venture into Pottermore. Once you validate your registration all you can do until you get the Welcome email, is edit your account info.

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 05:00 AM report to moderator

I’ve got the question right so all I need to do is wait for my owl!! EKK!

Posted by Phoenix Felicis on July 31, 2011, 05:00 AM report to moderator
Gryffindor_thumb

I had to capture the quill 4 times before the popup took me to the “congrats” page. I would think we can change those cryptic usernames at some point. Congrats to all who got it and happy birthday to JR and HP!

Posted by prathouse on July 31, 2011, 05:00 AM report to moderator

Waiting for the email is killing me!! I feel like it’s the night before my 11th birthday all over again!

Posted by RavenQuill on July 31, 2011, 05:01 AM report to moderator
Crookshanks_thumb

Have you all gotten to the picture of Privet Drive at night? I got my email really fast, but I can’t really do anything but stare at this nice picture. Do we have to wait for a second email?

Posted by Eillac on July 31, 2011, 05:02 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

@Mooner I got registered before people even started psoting on here and sitll haven’t gotten my email yet :o(

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 05:02 AM report to moderator

That was easy – if this is one of the hard questions, I wonder what the easy ones at the end of the week will be like – “How many letters are in Harry Potter’s first name?” :) I’m CentaurPotion67 by the way, yuk! Did anyone NOT tick the “all” button for which books/films you have read/seen by the way?

Posted by andrewilley on July 31, 2011, 05:03 AM report to moderator
Avatars_bookauthor_quote_aug_003_thumb

Wulfric….if you have validated your email address, yes you just have to wait for them to start sending out the official invites beginning in about a week.

Posted by Mooner on July 31, 2011, 05:03 AM report to moderator

No email yet, but wasn’t expecting one to be honest given what the site said.

Posted by andrewilley on July 31, 2011, 05:06 AM report to moderator

Relief! Got my email (it took about 10 minutes or so!) and I’m fully registered now! I hope I get picked for early access!!!

Posted by SamKamHPFan on July 31, 2011, 05:08 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Isn't he [i]beautiful?"[/i] Hagrid murmured. He reached out a hand to stroke the dragon's head. It snapped at his fingers, showing pointed fangs.[br]"Bless him, look, he knows his mommy!" said Hagrid.