Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge Begins July 31

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 30, 2011, 10:33 PM

The Pottermore Insider Blog and website have been updated this blog post and link, revealing more about J. K. Rowling's latest project:

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the hidden link in our 'You ask, we answer' blog post from 19 July, which took you to an interview J.K. Rowling gave in 2000.

In the interview was some interesting information about a Magical Quill, located in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Magical Quill detects the birth of a magical child and writes their name down in a large book.

Every year, Professor McGonagall checks the book and sends owls to the children who are turning eleven, to inform themthat they have a place at Hogwarts. Each day for seven days, from 31 July to 6 August, we will be placing a clue on the Pottermore homepage to help you locate The Magical Quill. If you find it, you'll have the chance to gain early access to Pottermore.

There will be a new clue every day, and each clue will relate to a different book in the Harry Potter series. On Day 1 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, on Day 2 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and so forth. The clues will also vary in difficulty. On Days 1-3 the clues will be harder, and on Days 4-7 the clues will be easier.

To find The Magical Quill, you need to solve the clue and add the answer to the end of the web address. This will lead you to a website where The Magical Quill will be located while early access places are available. The Magical Quill's location will change every day.
Example
Clue: How many books are there in the Harry Potter series? Multiply this number by 10.
Answer: 70
Add this number to the end of the website address. (In this case it would be http://quill.pottermore.com/70)
Hit 'Return' to go to the website where The Magical Quill is located.
Once you have found The Magical Quill, you will be redirected to Pottermore.com. If the registration process is still open for that day, you will be able to submit your details to register to access Pottermore early.

It's important to note that finding The Magical Quill does not guarantee you access to registration, as registration will only remain openwhile the early access places allocated for the relevant day, between 31 July to 6 August, are available.

Don't worry if you don’t manage to register first time. There will be plenty of opportunities to find The Magical Quill as we will be revealing a new clue each day from 31 July to 6 August. For those who miss out on earlyaccess to Pottermore, please note the site will be open to all from October. Keep visiting Pottermore to find out when registration commences.

We won't be telling you when a clue goes live, so you'll need to keep a careful eye on Pottermore.com over the seven-day period. However, we will let you know, via Pottermore.com and the Insider, when registration for a particular day has come to an end.

Finally, please note that we will not be enabling early access to the site straight away. Once The Magical Quill challenge is over, we will send successful early access registrants a Welcome email, letting them know whenthey will be able to access Pottermore. We won’t be able to let everyone into the Beta site at the same time, so please be patient with us. You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Gryffindor_thumb

Just got my email!!!

Posted by prathouse on July 31, 2011, 06:02 AM report to moderator
Photo_on_2010-02-05_at_23

andrewilley, that’s odd i’ve only entered my info less then 40 minutes ago (my history shows 12:15 as the time i was on stage 6 registration point).
I really hope if their system crashed it hadn’t lost people’s registration info, especially those of us who signed on last.
though is it sort of discouraging, i mean you would think they have a storn

Posted by voldierot on July 31, 2011, 06:04 AM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

Finally got my email and i’m fully registered, hope i get the early invite now :)

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on July 31, 2011, 06:05 AM report to moderator
Escreech_thumb

@Prathouse You did? sad I’m still waiting over here. It looks like you waited an hour or less? getting very worried now

Posted by Shinyfox on July 31, 2011, 06:06 AM report to moderator

I know I’m making this more confusing than it needs to be, but what exactly does everyone see when they log into the site after they have confirmed their registration? Also, if we registered today does that mean we get in early? When I log in a sign says “If you are selected” but on the Pottermore Insider post it says that “you should receive your validation email shortly. Don’t forget to click the link in your validation email within 48 hours; this will secure your early access place”. Which is it?

Posted by luckyleo81 on July 31, 2011, 06:10 AM report to moderator
19961_295278227280_850597280_3220270_6993096_n_thumb

i stayed up til 4am and the clue never appeared :(

Posted by AbbieAstoria on July 31, 2011, 06:18 AM report to moderator
Gryffindor_thumb

I wouldn’t worry too much Shinyfox. My other friend hasn’t got hers yet either. I activated and logged in and it’s the same pottermore.com site as before the login but you can look at your account info. Still exciting!

Posted by prathouse on July 31, 2011, 06:18 AM report to moderator

Got my email.. I was so worried it took about 2 hours lol

Posted by Nydaria02 on July 31, 2011, 06:19 AM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

“To ensure the exciting world of Pottermore is as magical as possible, a million lucky registrants will be given early access to the site to help us shape the experience before the site is open to all in October. If you are selected, please keep checking your inbox, because from 31st July you will receive an email granting you early access to Pottermore!”
That is what mine says @luckyleo81… you’ll just have to wait and see if you get another email to invite you in early

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on July 31, 2011, 06:19 AM report to moderator

Got my email.. I was so worried it took about 2 hours lol

Posted by Nydaria02 on July 31, 2011, 06:19 AM report to moderator

Email arrived a few minutes ago, phew! All confirmed now, and settled in at Privet Drive at night. I guess once live registrations for today ended, their email engine could start to catch up with the backlog.

Posted by andrewilley on July 31, 2011, 06:19 AM report to moderator
Escreech_thumb

@Prathouse Thanks for the kind words! I figure I’ll just go to bed and when I wake up the owls will have left the letter for me! Here’s hoping!
@Nydaria I’m glad to see I’m not the only one. If your’s took 2 hours then I’m sure mine will appear soon(ish)!

Posted by Shinyfox on July 31, 2011, 06:22 AM report to moderator

Got mine too after about an hour and a half. Thanks everyone!

Posted by amande on July 31, 2011, 06:24 AM report to moderator

@Shinyfox I am sure a owl will have dropped it off before you wake. :)

Posted by Nydaria02 on July 31, 2011, 06:24 AM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

Oh goodness, I’m so happy to hear that all of your emails finally came through! Makes me much more hopeful. I can now to go bed in the hopes it’ll be there in the morning, haha~

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on July 31, 2011, 06:26 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I would [i]not[/i] go that way if I were you," said Nearly Headless Nick... "Peeves is planning an amusing joke on the next person to pass the bust of Paracelsus halfway down the corridor."[br]"Does it involve Paracelsus falling on top of the person's he