Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge Begins July 31

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 30, 2011, 10:33 PM

The Pottermore Insider Blog and website have been updated this blog post and link, revealing more about J. K. Rowling's latest project:

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the hidden link in our 'You ask, we answer' blog post from 19 July, which took you to an interview J.K. Rowling gave in 2000.

In the interview was some interesting information about a Magical Quill, located in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Magical Quill detects the birth of a magical child and writes their name down in a large book.

Every year, Professor McGonagall checks the book and sends owls to the children who are turning eleven, to inform themthat they have a place at Hogwarts. Each day for seven days, from 31 July to 6 August, we will be placing a clue on the Pottermore homepage to help you locate The Magical Quill. If you find it, you'll have the chance to gain early access to Pottermore.

There will be a new clue every day, and each clue will relate to a different book in the Harry Potter series. On Day 1 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, on Day 2 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and so forth. The clues will also vary in difficulty. On Days 1-3 the clues will be harder, and on Days 4-7 the clues will be easier.

To find The Magical Quill, you need to solve the clue and add the answer to the end of the web address. This will lead you to a website where The Magical Quill will be located while early access places are available. The Magical Quill's location will change every day.
Example
Clue: How many books are there in the Harry Potter series? Multiply this number by 10.
Answer: 70
Add this number to the end of the website address. (In this case it would be http://quill.pottermore.com/70)
Hit 'Return' to go to the website where The Magical Quill is located.
Once you have found The Magical Quill, you will be redirected to Pottermore.com. If the registration process is still open for that day, you will be able to submit your details to register to access Pottermore early.

It's important to note that finding The Magical Quill does not guarantee you access to registration, as registration will only remain openwhile the early access places allocated for the relevant day, between 31 July to 6 August, are available.

Don't worry if you don’t manage to register first time. There will be plenty of opportunities to find The Magical Quill as we will be revealing a new clue each day from 31 July to 6 August. For those who miss out on earlyaccess to Pottermore, please note the site will be open to all from October. Keep visiting Pottermore to find out when registration commences.

We won't be telling you when a clue goes live, so you'll need to keep a careful eye on Pottermore.com over the seven-day period. However, we will let you know, via Pottermore.com and the Insider, when registration for a particular day has come to an end.

Finally, please note that we will not be enabling early access to the site straight away. Once The Magical Quill challenge is over, we will send successful early access registrants a Welcome email, letting them know whenthey will be able to access Pottermore. We won’t be able to let everyone into the Beta site at the same time, so please be patient with us. You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

It opened at 6am EST. I got in, but a friend said she tried at 6:30 and it was already closed. I was checking ever 15 min starting at 4 am. I suggest to everyone to check the Pottermore blog for the time window and have the Lexicon and your copy of GoF handy. You have to be quick.

Posted by Imablack on August 02, 2011, 12:50 PM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

alright guys i couldnt make the third clue but my email hasnt come yet so im gonna try for the fourth!! hopefully one of u guys could spare me some company….. does anyone know what time it will be pacific time??

it happened to me I tried at 9:22 ( Brazil) and it was closed and my friend said she got in 9:10 and it was open :(
I have no chances to get in anymore …beacause of the school… :-I

Posted by camila_black08 on August 02, 2011, 01:03 PM report to moderator
FeatherHolly198, yeah I’m 12 and I also only have my IPhone.
Posted by camila_black08 on August 02, 2011, 01:06 PM report to moderator

Tomorrow ( for a good reason, of course, and this year the subjects are really easy) I’ll just say to my teacher that I want to go to the bathroom. You know that I’ll get in Leaky and Pottermore
instead of going to the bathroom :)

Posted by camila_black08 on August 02, 2011, 01:22 PM report to moderator

Don’t think that I like losing class! because I don’t. Only History which I know the matter since I was 9.

Posted by camila_black08 on August 02, 2011, 01:27 PM report to moderator

So, has anyone read that they are tracking IP address to see if you’ve made more then one account? Someone just told they read that some where.

NO, I DON’T have more then one account, but I have gone through the registration up until the username page, just to see what they are (im very intrigued by them for some reason). But not any further.

Posted by BloodHallow175 on August 02, 2011, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

roonwit: I had not noticed that they were a multiple of the book as well. Very interesting!!

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 02, 2011, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Mirror_card_7_thumb

The Pottermore Insider just updated Day 4. Clue will be posted between 2 PM and 6 PM BST.

Posted by Mollycairn on August 02, 2011, 02:08 PM report to moderator

does anyone know if the welcome emails will be sent out in the order that people registered (e.×. day 1 people get their emails first, then day 2, etc.). I know that they used the phrase ‘first come first serve’ and said that it will be affected by language, but i dont know what they mean by that exactly.

Posted by luckyleo81 on August 02, 2011, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

luckyleo81: I don’t think we have any more information than you have already found. I think however that refers to getting an early access place, and may not refer to the order in which early access commences. I think it is likely however that they will move non-English speakers up the queue, as that will be an area they specifically want to test.

Posted by roonwit on August 02, 2011, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Gryffindor_thumb

“Successful applicants will receive a welcome letter on 7 August to alert them to when they can begin using the website.” :¬D

Posted by prathouse on August 02, 2011, 03:16 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

prathouse: Where did you get that from? It seems a bit unlikely to me that they would promise notification on August 7th given the issues they are having with email (and it is also not a working day) though it would make sense for them to send out the emails soon after that date.

Posted by roonwit on August 02, 2011, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Gryffindor_thumb

Fourth paragraph I think. http://tgr.ph/oFUqLJ

Posted by prathouse on August 02, 2011, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

prathouse: I don’t consider that an authoritative source. It could be right, but it could also be a journalist misinterpreting things or reporting someone’s theory.

Posted by roonwit on August 02, 2011, 03:38 PM report to moderator

The thing Wormtail had been carrying had the shape of a crouched human child, except that Harry had never seen anything less like a child. It was hairless and scaly-looking, a dark, raw, reddish black. Its arms and legs were thin and feeble, and its face