Pottermore Q&A Reveals More about J. K. Rowling's Next Project

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 19, 2011, 02:50 PM

The Pottermore Insider has posted a new blog entry answering a number of questions from readers of fan sites across the internet about J. K. Rowling's Pottermore.  The post reads:

Potter fan sites from around the globe helped us with the Pottermore name reveal, and now those same fan sites have been kind enough to tell us what their readers most want to know about the Pottermore experience.

While we can’t give everything away (even though we know you’d like us to!), we’d really love to answer some of your questions...

Will Pottermore be available in multiple languages?
Yes. Initially, Pottermore will be available in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. We are aiming to introduce more languages in the future – including Japanese and Korean later this year. You’ll be able to keep track of language availability here on the Insider

Will Pottermore be free?
Yes, access to Pottermore will be completely free; you won’t have to pay anything to use the site. The Pottermore Shop will have items in it that you’ll be able to buy, but choosing to purchase something – or not – won't affect your progress through the story as the Shop sits outside of the online reading experience.

Can you please explain what you mean by 'online reading experience?' How much will I, as a
Pottermore user, be able to affect the story? After all, hasn't Harry's story already been told?
The best way to think of Pottermore is as an interactive, illustrated companion to the books. J.K. Rowling wanted to create a site where her stories could live on and where readers could explore them in a new way. In addition to discovering new material from J.K. Rowling about Harry’s world, you’ll be able to interact with key story Moments (the Sorting Hat sequence, for example) and upload your own comments, thoughts and artwork for all the characters, objects and places that you come across.

So Pottermore isn't a massively multiplayer online role-playing game like World of Warcraft, or a social network game like Farmville?
No. While there will be some simple games you can play (you'll be able to brew potions, for example), Pottermore is very much about the books: being able to experience Harry’s story in a new way and discover all the additional information that J.K. Rowling has written.

Isn't there a House Cup that we compete for by earning points?
Yes, there is. As you progress through the story you'll also be able to earn house points – and once you get to the end of the first book you can carry on earning points to help your house win the House Cup.

Would you say Pottermore is a social network for fans of Harry Potter?
Not really. Pottermore isn’t trying to compete with sites like Facebook or the Harry Potter forums and fan sites that are already out there. Once you’ve signed up to Pottermore you’ll be able to find and invite your Facebook friends (if you're over thirteen) and leave comments in your house common room and the Great Hall, but Pottermore isn't a social networking site where you can share personal information or chat in forums.

I saw the Sony logo at the top of Pottermore.com. What's Sony's involvement with the site?
Sony is the primary partner of Pottermore. They have been consulted and involved in the development of the site experience and will offer a range of products and services to Pottermore users.

Is Pottermore the Harry Potter encyclopedia?
J.K. Rowling has written exclusive new material especially for Pottermore giving unique insights, back stories and additional information about the characters, places and objects in the Harry Potter series. For now, Pottermore is the only place you’ll be able to find new information from J.K. Rowling about Harry’s world, and we'll be releasing this material as each of the seven books appears on the site.

Once I've been sorted, will I be able to change houses?
J.K. Rowling has created a series of questions for the Sorting Hat, and how you answer these questions will determine which of the four houses you’ll be in. Once you've been sorted, you won't be able to change; the Sorting Hat's decision is final!

What formats will the ebooks be available in? Will I be able to read them on my iPad/Sony eReader/Kindle...?
The Pottermore Shop is due to open in October. Our aim is to offer the ebooks in an as many formats as possible. We’ll provide more information closer to the time.

I’ve submitted my email to the Pottermore website – does this mean I’m registered with Pottermore.com?
Not yet. If you’ve submitted your email address to the site, we'll use it to let you know when site registration is open to everyone. In other words, once you’ve received an email from us, you'll be able to visit Pottermore.com and complete the registration process.

What's going to happen on 31 July?
We don't want to ruin the surprise but something will be happening on Pottermore.com on 31 July. Come back to the site, or keep an eye on the Pottermore Insider (http://insider.pottermore.com) and our Pottermore Twitter feed for details.

Is the Pottermore Owl Twitter account official?
No, it's not – but we kind of wish we'd thought of it!

Thanks to all the sites that helped us collect the questions for this post: Blog Hogwarts, Clube do Slugue, Harry Potter Xperts, HPANA, The Leaky Cauldron, Mugglenet, Portus, SnitchSeeker, and L'Univers De Harry Potter.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Thank_you_thumb

Ahh, shame…I was kind of hoping for a book version of the encyclopedia, just something that I could refer to, now it looks like that won’t be happening. :( Everything sounds great though!)

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on July 19, 2011, 03:36 PM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

First comment, yay!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on July 19, 2011, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

FIRST!!!

I’m really looking forward for this now!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 19, 2011, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

THIS IS FREAKING INSANE !!! can’t wait !!

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on July 19, 2011, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Snapshot_7__4-10-2011_3-21_pm__thumb

Woah!!!! Super Mega Awesome!!! Can’t wait!!!

Posted by JustOddBall on July 19, 2011, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

This really answered a lot of questions, its sounds amazing! I wont which house I’ll be sorted into? Lol I bet they do wish they’d thought of it, I love ‘The Owls are Gathering’. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on July 19, 2011, 04:06 PM report to moderator
41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

I was kinda hoping for a book, too. Not only is it nice to have something concrete to flip through, but I love how the HP books look on my bookshelf. However, this electronic resource and experience seems really exciting as well. Just think, we are going to be able to move through the seven books all over again and be more a part of the story. I wonder what house I’ll be sorted into.

Posted by Silvery Doe on July 19, 2011, 04:26 PM report to moderator

Hmm I was really hoping for a more interactive game type of somthing. But im sure this will excede my expections when were are all in there!! Should be fun!

Posted by Hogsmeade on July 19, 2011, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

Awesome cant wait! Totally not sleeping on the night befor opening! Watching it all night for sure!

Posted by farewell_fred on July 19, 2011, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

I sort of wish that this would be a companion to a Potter encyclopedia; I’d love to go down to the bookstore and have another book between my hands with Jo’s name on the cover. I suppose this means we’ll never be seeing the Scottish Book…?

But really, I can’t complain. Pottermore looks AMAZING and I’m so incredibly excited to join!

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on July 19, 2011, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

Oooh! I so cannot wait for this!

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on July 19, 2011, 06:05 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

I’m soooo looking froward to this!!!

Posted by ParisThePotterLuver on July 19, 2011, 06:27 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

I hope i can register early on july 31st

Posted by ParisThePotterLuver on July 19, 2011, 06:28 PM report to moderator
Leakyavatar_thumb

I was wondering about the question regarding Sony’s involvement and the statement “Sony will offer a range of products and services to Pottermore users”. Does this possibly mean a mmorpg addition to the pottermore site eventually? Any thoughts?

Posted by kellyokidd on July 19, 2011, 07:28 PM report to moderator
757920_thumb

This is a decent FAQ. I’m glad they are doing this and not being mysterious. I love Jo’s mysteries but this is to stop us from thinking crazy things over the next couple weeks.

I would like to know more about the fan submissions. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I don’t want to see a bunch of ten (or even many 13) year old’s comments and fanart. Will it be visible to all or just friends? There is a lot of fanart out there by people who don’t really have artistic talent (including me) and I definitely don’t want my “online reading experience” tainted with “OMG i looooooooooooooooove Harry PoTtEr it is SOOOOOO kewl!” and “I think Harry and Hermione would make a good couple.” I was hoping Pottermore would remain a safe place of canon. It’s hard to get immersed if you feel like you are in a fanclub rather than actually there at Hogwarts with Harry.

Posted by Beckatrix the Strange on July 19, 2011, 07:53 PM report to moderator

"Did [Dudley] eat it?" said Fred excitedly, holding out a hand to pull Harry to his feet.[br]"Yeah," said Harry, straightening up. "What [i]was[/i] it?"[br]"Ton-Tongue Toffee," said Fred brightly. "George and I invented them, and we've been looking for so