"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Breaks Midnight Opening Record

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
July 15, 2011, 04:09 PM

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" is on track to break several box office records this weekend, and according to Variety, it already has a major one under its belt.

The eighth and final Harry Potter film grossed $43.5 million in midnight screening sales in just the U.S. last night in more than 3,800 locations. This makes it the highest grossing midnight release, beating the previous record-holder "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."

"What an incredible beginning for the movie that ends it all," said Warner domestic distribution prexy Dan Fellman. "Everyone at Warner Bros. joins me in congratulating the many people behind the 'Harry Potter' films. We know this is just the start of what promises to be an astounding weekend and a magical summer."
Internationally, "Part 2" has grossed $82.5 million in just two days and also broke IMAX records for a midnight screening with sales of $2 million.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Gossipgirlxoxo-716360_100_100_thumb

Awesome!!!!!! :D

Posted by roseteaxx on July 16, 2011, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Potter25_thumb

yes!! i went to the midnight show and it was AMAZING!!!! best movie EVER!! i went to see it again last night w/ more ppl and i would totally see it a third time in the theater!! im sooo happy we finally beat those stupid sparkly vampire idiots!!! TWILIGHT WILL NEVER BEAT HARRY!! :D

Posted by Kiah V. on July 16, 2011, 01:55 PM report to moderator
Th_tonks1pg7_thumb

While not a surprise, still awesome regardless! :)

Posted by Steph on July 16, 2011, 02:09 PM report to moderator

Ohh yeah! Way to go, Potterites! I just hope that we can get enough to beat Twilight by the end of the weekend! C’mon, guys, what’s the DA and the Order for? DESTROYING EVIL!!!

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on July 16, 2011, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_philosopher_s_stone_thumb

I really do think this was the BEST movie..by far. It was basically flawless. All the others I have some problems with (well PS/SS and DH Pt. 1 not so much..but this still tops it). I have never in my entire life gone to any movie twice in theatres..& Yet I’m going to this one again next weekend. It was so very perfect. I hope it beats all records, and makes 3 billion dollars =)

Posted by RubeusHagrid on July 16, 2011, 02:22 PM report to moderator

Went to see it yesterday evening in Tralee, Ireland. Saw the 2D version, couldn’t get tickets for 3D so will go back during the week. First time I’ve ever heard a full audience go ‘schhhhh’ at the start of a film. Brilliant experience, can’t wait now for the DVD so I can watch over and over again. Neville rocked in it. And Alan deserves an Oscar, how on earth did he get that emotion out!

Oh and fair play to Filch with the broom lol huge laugh…

Posted by DavidTheUnready on July 16, 2011, 03:42 PM report to moderator

Yay found Leaky on Sirius XM channel 850

Posted by DavidTheUnready on July 16, 2011, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

Still trying to catch my breath (and wipe away tears). Went to the 2D film yesterday (sold out theatre), going tomorrow to see it in the imax 3D, but I don’t think you need that. It was an amzing film, even though I still don’t like the falling-from-tower thing, but I do understand why they did it. Only complaint is that Harry didn’t fix his wand at the end, and they could have easily done that before he broke it in two (a silly thing to think you could do anyway, it is the Elder Wand after all). Allan Rickman was wonderful and so emotional, Dan was excellent in all of it, especially the forest scene. LIked the way they made it seem as if he could feel the horcruxes being destroyed as well and that he could “hear” them. How else would he have found the diadem,since Ginny hid it in HBP (another annoying change).
Hope it beats out all the other films this opening weekend; I’m sure it will.

Posted by izziewitch on July 16, 2011, 04:18 PM report to moderator
183795_1863148383671_1389826798_2091840_7833596_n_holgaart_4_thumb

watched 3 times..2 shows back2back..still it seems there is need to watch 10000000 times…..
\m/
legend this epic is…..and always be…

Posted by vonvon on July 16, 2011, 04:30 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

HAHA!!! Thats great! loved it, just wasnt loyal to the book like they said. I hope Twilights fourth movie doesnt beat out Harry Potter. The twilight books are good, but the movies are horrible. they did a disgusting job of making them and they cast especially Kristen, shes a stuttering fool who makes Bella look like an idiot. But enough of that HERES TO HARRY POTTER AND THE AMAZING CAST!!! WOOT WOOT!

Posted by sboyer06 on July 16, 2011, 06:06 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’m going to try and see it again this weekend if tickets arent sold out. Then I’l hitting the IMAX! XD

Posted by LunaLuver on July 16, 2011, 06:06 PM report to moderator
Hogwarts_dementor_thumb

AWESOME!! I’m glowing with happiness and pride for our beloved Harry Potter series! And to be honest, I wouldn’t have expected less from this film, after all, to quote Warner Bros, “It all Ends” and this is based on a record shattering novel of the same name that has become one of my favourites in the series alongside Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! Go Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D :P!!!! And I’m proud to be a part of Leaky, of this AMAZING fandom and of the audiences who went to the midnight premiere of this film!!! It was EPIC!!!! If you haven’t seen this movie……..GO. WATCH. IT. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Posted by HIFireWhiskers58 on July 16, 2011, 06:43 PM report to moderator
Hogwarts_dementor_thumb

And if it helps! The rating on rotten tomatoes for this movie is 97% !!!!!!! ;)

Posted by HIFireWhiskers58 on July 16, 2011, 06:43 PM report to moderator
Hp_trio_thumb

Absolutely awesome!! Where I live, Cinemark offered a Harry Potter Marathon, featuring all 8 films spanning 2 days. I never expected it to be as emotional as it was for me. I cried through a lot of Sorcerer’s Stone, and got teary-eyed in every movie, just seeing how the actors have grown and how the story has revealed itself on-screen. Deathly Hallows Pt 2 was brilliantly done. I am so sad it is over, but OH HOW I HAVE ENJOYED THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Jo Rowling, for an amazing experience spanning over a decade and for a journey that has touched us all. I will buy anything you write!!! :D LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted by paige350z on July 16, 2011, 07:19 PM report to moderator

I’m not surprised.Got to watch it again.It was AMAZING!!!!

Posted by Dracmione-booksncleverness on July 16, 2011, 09:23 PM report to moderator

"Half an inch of skin and sinew holding my neck on, Harry! Most people would think that's good and beheaded, but oh, no, it's not enough for Sir Properly Decapitated-Podmore."