"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Breaks Midnight Opening Record

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
July 15, 2011, 04:09 PM

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" is on track to break several box office records this weekend, and according to Variety, it already has a major one under its belt.

The eighth and final Harry Potter film grossed $43.5 million in midnight screening sales in just the U.S. last night in more than 3,800 locations. This makes it the highest grossing midnight release, beating the previous record-holder "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."

"What an incredible beginning for the movie that ends it all," said Warner domestic distribution prexy Dan Fellman. "Everyone at Warner Bros. joins me in congratulating the many people behind the 'Harry Potter' films. We know this is just the start of what promises to be an astounding weekend and a magical summer."
Internationally, "Part 2" has grossed $82.5 million in just two days and also broke IMAX records for a midnight screening with sales of $2 million.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Shaw__4__thumb

I hope they manage to break the $1 billion mark with this one.

Posted by HogwartsForever on July 15, 2011, 08:50 PM report to moderator

I’m not surprised, but I am extremely happy. I went last night. The air was palpable with excitement and the audience ready. They loved it, I loved it. And may I just say, Neville Longbottom Rocked!

Posted by Erin Lovegood on July 15, 2011, 09:08 PM report to moderator

I think this one will finally do a billion, being the last one and having the extra 3D factor. Oh, and it’s great, also.

Posted by vamjf1 on July 15, 2011, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Hl002-1allinye_thumb

Ya! Even my small town theater was completely sold out.

Posted by jedisakora on July 15, 2011, 09:59 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I loved Filch cleaning up after the battle!

Next stop the Dark Knight’s record. I do want this one to be financially on par with PS. Come on! Also you know the whole “Why do you live?” “Because I have something worth living for” Was that in the movie I can’t remember… guess I’ll just have to buy a ticket and give more money to the movie :)

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 15, 2011, 10:14 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Loved the movie! But I’m IN LOVE with the books. Oh JKR, why did it all have to be so good? You left us wanting more but wrapped it up so nicely. I’m devastated it’s over (and I’m secretly still hoping for more) but for now, Pottermore will have to do. Thank you JKR for the best story written.

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 15, 2011, 10:52 PM report to moderator
Pic_20_2312ma14060069-0001_thumb

I saw the midnight show and then the 11am one today.Only 4 hrs sleep,had to take nap later.Was so worth it.Was truly brilliant! Plot stories were perfect! Prince’s tale,forest again,kings cross, perfect! I wish they would have made harrys,adult lily and little lilys eyes GREEN! like they are suppose to be.Never understood why they couldn’t put that in,important for story.And a few other major things, like, SPOILER ALERT.. didn’t fix his wand before he breaks the elder.I loved the ending,Dumby’s sis and grindewald story,and Dumby’s wish for elder wand,showing the 3 before then 19 yrs later oh wow! So perfect and emotional.You could see the love between all the actors for each other. That in itself will be a bond that will never break.Remember what Dumbledore said “Of course it’s in your head,but why on earth would that mean it isn’t real?”. We all know it is….;)

Posted by Dlcohm7 on July 15, 2011, 10:57 PM report to moderator

I believe it this is going to set the record really high and probably will be very difficult to beat in the future.

Posted by Gata on July 15, 2011, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Go Neville Longbottom! You the wizard! I’m still emotional just thinking about all that happened, I could start crying again right now!

Posted by LunaLuver on July 16, 2011, 12:23 AM report to moderator

I know this is going to go against everybody else here, but I just got back from the movie, and very displeased. In my opinion, it is the worst of the eight movies because they changed to much important stuff. No, I’m not talking about the inevitable picking and choosing about what the put in and what they left out.

I’d give more detail, but it’s too early to discuss particulars.

Posted by Morrolan on July 16, 2011, 12:42 AM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

This doesn’t surprise me at All! I saw the movie and was just in tears! I also may have screamed when Ron and Hermione kissed :P

Posted by joeys_mommy on July 16, 2011, 12:45 AM report to moderator
May12003_thumb

of course they may have tabbed the rio 21 in albqurque as well, which last night had a 3:15 AM showing, so if were really a night owl you could watch ti as well

Posted by potterball on July 16, 2011, 01:20 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Awesome!!!!! Yeah baby way to go HP. Suck it twilight.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 16, 2011, 03:16 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

I am so moved to read this!

Posted by devilskinn on July 16, 2011, 03:19 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Awesome! Great job HP fans!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 16, 2011, 05:16 AM report to moderator

"You haven't got the guts to take me on without that thing, have you?" Dudley snarled.[br]"Whereas you just need four mates behind you before you can beat up a ten-year-old. You know that boxing title you keep banging on about? How old was your opponent?