"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Breaks Midnight Opening Record

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
July 15, 2011, 04:09 PM

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" is on track to break several box office records this weekend, and according to Variety, it already has a major one under its belt.

The eighth and final Harry Potter film grossed $43.5 million in midnight screening sales in just the U.S. last night in more than 3,800 locations. This makes it the highest grossing midnight release, beating the previous record-holder "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."

"What an incredible beginning for the movie that ends it all," said Warner domestic distribution prexy Dan Fellman. "Everyone at Warner Bros. joins me in congratulating the many people behind the 'Harry Potter' films. We know this is just the start of what promises to be an astounding weekend and a magical summer."
Internationally, "Part 2" has grossed $82.5 million in just two days and also broke IMAX records for a midnight screening with sales of $2 million.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

YES! I always wanted this to be the highest grossing movie! And I’ve watched it! I’m actually planning to watch it again! :D It’s so brilliant! =]

Posted by . on July 15, 2011, 06:27 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

Just saw it- AWESOME! They did not talk about Dumbledores sister- about how she died.

Posted by silverkacy on July 15, 2011, 06:29 PM report to moderator

Welcome to New Jersey, where we have a Midnight Premiere and everyone in the theatre becomes a family for the night. Sharing cupcakes and candy and other things. One only needed to shout “Accio Deliciousness” and someone gave them something! It was beyond anything I could have imagined…..and Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar

Posted by PotionsMaster7 on July 15, 2011, 06:54 PM report to moderator
Th_hogwarts_thumb

Oh my gosh! SPOILER ALERT – When Snape was hugging Lily’s body while baby Harry was crying, I felt just as sad as he did. I’m so glad that they put that scene there, it really showed how much Snape loved Lily. The picture of Snape holding Lily has been haunting me since I saw it!

Posted by half-bloodprince on July 15, 2011, 07:04 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

OH GOD! excellent! I feel so proud. can’t wait to break another record! I’ll definitely help with few tickets ;)

Posted by Matea on July 15, 2011, 07:05 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-2-poster_1__thumb

Watched it yesterday!It was so incredible! the Great Battle was really good except for the last part with harry and voldemort,wish it were like in the book.Snape’s memories were amazing,one of the best done scenes.Everything was wonderful really, it is by far my favourite.I Have to go see it again.Long live Harry!!!

Posted by Mischief_Managed on July 15, 2011, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Img_0594_1__thumb

I seen the movie @ midnight, that was sold out all 14 showings. I seen a few people dressed-up. I seen a Voldemort, Draco and Bellatrix that were awesome. There were a few Gryffindor dress-up there too(with the tie and dress shirt). And then there was ME, dress-up in my Hufflepuff full attire. I got a lot of mix opinions but all-in-all, it was was amazing experience. I was glad to have been part of that epic night. Pottermore, here I come.

Posted by CorruptedNethicite on July 15, 2011, 07:14 PM report to moderator
Hpv16_thumb

Saw it at midnight last night. Glad I could contribute to twilights downfall! :P Loved the movie so much. Was in tears at the end and I wasn’t the only one. Lot’s of sniffles coming from the theater.

Posted by Mrs.Brisby on July 15, 2011, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

I was really hoping to see it today, but I won’t be able to check out DH:2 until Sunday morning. I hope it’s fantastic.

Posted by Bara on July 15, 2011, 07:31 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I didn’t get to go to a midnight show this year. So I went to the first non 3D one they had this morning. At 10:45 am I was certainly not alone in the theater. The one I was in seats 299 and I’d guess there were between 225 and 250 there. There were people in line for the next show when I left. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are after the weekend is over. But I’m not at all surprised – a lot of us have waited a long time for this movie. As with all the other movies, WB will make more on me than just today. I already have plans to go next week with my daughter and her husband who couldn’t go today.

Posted by Eeyore on July 15, 2011, 07:45 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I really loved this movie! A very important scene was missing but I’m not going to say what in fear I might spoil the film for some. I was really disappointed about that scene being missing and for a while I wasn’t sure whether I liked the film or not but then I got over it and I really enjoyed the film. A lot of the things they did was just fantastic and really did the book and fans justice. There was a couple of cheesy moments and some did make me cringe a bit.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! Snape’s memories were just fantastic and Alan Rickman really was amazing. They did miss out the fact Lily and Snape had fallen out! I definately cried when Snape found Lily. They managed to have some scenes from the first film too, which did start to get to me. When Voldemort yelled the curse that “killed” Harry it seemed a bit silly the way he pronouced it. It was a bit of fail at being dramatic :D. The King’s Cross scene was fantastic! The 19 Years Later bit really captured how I had imagined it. I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t get to see Hogwarts fully rebuilt as the last time we would have saw Hogwarts was a destroyed mess. There was a bit too much death eaters and not enough duels :S the final battle of Hogwarts seemed a bit too Lord of the Ringsy. The way they ended it seemed to suggest another film. As much as I would love I don’t think it would be a smart move. Imo it would turn out like Star Wars, which was a great franchise and keeps trying to make more and more of the same thing but turning out quite bad. Lets cross our fingers Harry Potter doesn’t go down that route.

Either way it was an amazing film and I would love to see it again. Very good to watch but I feel they could have said goodbye to the greatest franchise of all time in a better way (that’s just my opinion).

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on July 15, 2011, 07:57 PM report to moderator
315475_491136950901884_1807119504_n_thumb

i went 2 the midnight premere and it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by athena lupin on July 15, 2011, 08:15 PM report to moderator
315475_491136950901884_1807119504_n_thumb

Posted by athena lupin on July 15, 2011, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I believe it. There was 1,500 people at the theatre I went to. They even had a 3am showing of the movie so that the people who didn’t pre-order tickets could watch.

I live in the middle of nowhere, New Hampshire. I have not seen that many people in one place at the same time since I’ve moved here. o_o

Posted by Mad But Happy on July 15, 2011, 08:24 PM report to moderator

i cant believe it. its over. RIP Childhood!

Posted by Jakeom95 on July 15, 2011, 08:41 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"You [i]bought[/i] that monster?" said Ron...[br]"He's [i]gorgeous[/i], isn't he?" said Hermione, glowing.[br]That was a matter of opinion, thought Harry. The cat's ginger fur was thick and fluffy, but it was definitely a bit bowlegged and its face looked