LA Times Interviews: Matt Lewis on Neville's "Gryffindor Moment;" VFX Supervisor Tim Burke Talks 3-D

Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
June 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

As part of their countdown to the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," the LA Times' Hero Complex blog has been publishing new and exclusive interviews with the cast and crew of Harry Potter.

Yesterday, actor Matthew Lewis described his character Neville Longbottom as a "beaten, battered war veteran" in the final film. He talks about Neville leading the Hogwarts students during the battle and having his "Gryffindor moment."

"It’s that weird thing that Jo [J.K. Rowling] did when she wrote the character. Everyone was sort of thinking, “Well, why is he in Gryffindor?” And it just shows that you don’t have to be perfect. You don’t have to be a Brad Pitt look-alike hero just to be courageous and help out your friends and come through when it really matters. I think everyone can sort of relate to that in some way, particularly back to people’s school days. Like, I wasn’t on the football team at school or whatever, but it doesn’t matter. You can still make a difference."
Behind the scenes, visual effects supervisor Tim Burke has worked on the films since "Chamber of Secrets" and reminisces with the LA Times about some of his best work on Harry Potter. Burke admits he is slowly coming to the realization that the films are now complete, and he also gives high praise to the 3-D used in "Part 2."
"I think people are going to be really pleased. I know everyone’s a little nervous and skeptical of 3-D these days, but the work has been done very, very well. We’ve done over 200 shots in 3-D and in the visual effects as well, because so much of it is CG, so the results are very, very good. I think everyone’s going to be really impressed with it, actually."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Interviews News

Images_thumb

I really admire Neville and I’m excited to see his big scene in DH2! I can’t wait to see DH2 in 3D but I have to admit, I don’t like having to wear the 3D glasses.

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on June 28, 2011, 11:56 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Btw, first comment!

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on June 28, 2011, 11:56 PM report to moderator
Photo_241_thumb

I really can’t wait to se Neville’s “gryffindor moment”

I feel like I’m one of the only ones who really loves 3D movies. ><

Posted by potetofurai on June 29, 2011, 12:04 AM report to moderator
Photo_on_2011-05-29_at_12

So excited to see Neville! And everyone has courage in them! Also I’m psyched about the 3d :)

Posted by mollythemuggle114 on June 29, 2011, 12:20 AM report to moderator

I don’t know. . . . I’m skeptical because those 3D movies never really are 3D, they’re sucking three extra dollars from you! And, I was not at all surprised to see Nevile be so courageous! :D

Posted by . on June 29, 2011, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I’m not entirely sure that I want to see certain moments in 3D…

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on June 29, 2011, 02:10 AM report to moderator
2865_1127012896097_1250404635_30357756_4615970_n_thumb

@potetofurai I know how you feel. My friends and can’t wait to see it in 3d. That’s the main reason i had to ride the new star tours ride in Disneyland lol.

I did read an article about how tickets for 3d are disappointing. I thought people would be rushing to it. Plus i hear the 3d glasses will be shaped like harry’s glasses. That’s so cool.

Posted by got2lovme on June 29, 2011, 02:12 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

I too am skeptical about the 3D thing. Hope it all goes perfect

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on June 29, 2011, 03:11 AM report to moderator
December_loadoff_087_thumb

Sorry but, why is there a fugly picture of Daniel/Harry when we are reading about Matthew/Neville?

Other than that, I like it xD

Posted by Bella'love ^HISS^ on June 29, 2011, 03:54 AM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

Im super super stoked, cant wait to see the movie :)

Posted by sboyer06 on June 29, 2011, 08:49 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

i can’t wait anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by mencia on June 29, 2011, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I refuse to wear the goofy glasses…

Posted by Won_Two on June 29, 2011, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

cait wait for this part with neville!

Posted by farewell_fred on June 29, 2011, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

cait wait for this part with neville!

Posted by farewell_fred on June 29, 2011, 10:58 AM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

cait wait for this part with neville!

Posted by farewell_fred on June 29, 2011, 10:58 AM report to moderator

Marauder's Map: [i]"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."[/i]