Daniel Radcliffe's Five Influential Books For Scholastics 'You Are What You Read' Campaign

Radcliffe
Posted by: Stephanie_J
June 26, 2011, 08:26 PM

Scholastic's latest campaign, You Are What You Read, encourages readers to create a list - or "bookprint" - of books that have left an "indelible mark on our lives, shaping who we are and who we've become."

A few notable names have shared their personal bookprint with Scholastic, including Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe. His picks include the classics The Old Man and the Sea and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. And, of course, not to be left out: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone!

You can read Mr. Radcliffe's complete top five list below along with a short explanation for each of his choices:

1. The Old Man and the Sea
"I think the Old Man and Sea was probably the first book by a really classic author that I ever read, and it was then that I realized that things were classics for a reason, and they weren’t all just really, really, really hard work."

2. Germinal
"Germinal by Emile Zola was the first sort of longer and more European novel that I ever read, and I remember reading it in like five days. It’s a long book, and I’m a slow reader, but I just did nothing else."

3. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
"It was given to me on my 15th birthday by a friend, and I just thought it was the funniest thing I ever read and kind of amazing and captured the period of time brilliantly."

4. The Master and Margarita
"The Master and Margarita is my favorite, favorite book in the world ever by Mikhail. To me it’s the greatest exploration of the human imagination, and it’s about forgiveness and life and history, and it’s just the most incredible book that I’ve ever read; I read it once and then I read it almost immediately again."

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
"I think it’s fair to say that if we’re talking about the five books that have most influenced my life, I think it would be pretty churlish of me not to say Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for giving me everything that I have and everything that I will have."
Other famous faces who have shared their bookprint with Scholastic include actress Sarah Jessica Parker, tennis player Serena Williams, and writer/director Richard Curtis.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

2013-07-19_113504_thumb

It is so nice to see the books that have influenced him and glad that he included HP :-) I may have to pick up a couple that he mentioned that I haven’t read yet.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on June 26, 2011, 08:50 PM report to moderator

YAY! First… What an interesting collection of books. What a great idea by Scholastic!
Go Dan!

Posted by Maestra2 on June 26, 2011, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Hl002-1allinye_thumb

Glad to see some classics ^^

Posted by jedisakora on June 26, 2011, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

LOL! My list would include Dr. Thompson’s “Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail”. Anyone interested in how the campaign process works in America would do well to read this. Yeah, “Las Vegas” is another favorite of mine, but I’d only choose one Gonzo book for my list. Reading two might make you freak out- even if you live a clean life.

Posted by Paskunius Senus on June 26, 2011, 09:06 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Gone With The Wind would be on my top five list, along with DH and a few other HP books.

Posted by LunaLuver on June 26, 2011, 10:29 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_1_thumb

Ahahahaha. :) I love Dan Rad… He’s so awkward sometimes it’s halarious! These are all actually really good books. Haven’t read Germinal yet but now I know I will! :D Thanks for the awesome article, leaky/Stephanie_J!

Posted by doctorginny on June 26, 2011, 11:45 PM report to moderator
109_thumb

It is good to see that Scholastic is reaching out to greater audiences, difficult though it must be to name only five influential books. It is noteworthy that these are not necessarily books that Daniel R. read in school, but for pleasure – a concept that needs to be upheld! I love that several of them are below the radar on most Top 5’s that I have seen, especially Emile Zola!
Would love to see more book lists from members of the HP cast as well.

Posted by bonslp on June 26, 2011, 11:46 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

I love that he included HP, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of these books before…I need to start reading something other than HP sometimes :)

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on June 27, 2011, 12:00 AM report to moderator

i’ve never heard of the other books Dan mentioned. . .But I would love reads those books.
So glad he included HP, . .:))

Posted by aice031 on June 27, 2011, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

At least he didn’t name any comic books!

Posted by Won_Two on June 27, 2011, 12:24 AM report to moderator
0709091327_m_061608_em4_thumb

You can see that Dan is so far ahead of many of his peers. He is truly exceptional and I found his choices most interesting. Great guy.

Posted by CCB5Potterfan34 on June 27, 2011, 02:09 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I love ‘The Master and Margarita’ too. It’s a wonderful satirical fantasy written in the Stalin era in Russia, telling how the Devil and various of his associates visit Moscow. Mikhail Bulgakov, the author, was a very brave man.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on June 27, 2011, 02:09 AM report to moderator
0709091327_m_061608_em4_thumb

By the way, I am glad to see the site is back to normal. Could anyone tell me what the problem was? I couldn’t get here for days.

Posted by CCB5Potterfan34 on June 27, 2011, 02:10 AM report to moderator

I was happy Harry Potter got into the top five, even if it is number five! (;

Posted by . on June 27, 2011, 03:02 AM report to moderator

Being french, I had to read Germinal this year for school. Was more of a burden for me, but I guess it was interesting… Why was Harry Potter number 5? hOnestly. ;D

Posted by radishraven...WBM on June 27, 2011, 03:07 AM report to moderator

[Hermione] seemed determined to be in a towering temper, and she swept off toward the girls' dormitories, banging the door behind her.[br]"Such a lovely, sweet-tempered girl," said Ron, very quietly, prodding his queen forward so that she could begin beat

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014