Matt Lewis Talks Neville Longbottom: "Seeing Neville Become a Fighter Was Great"

Lewis
Posted by: Mel
June 22, 2011, 09:11 PM

In a new interview with Parade Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) about a variety of topics, but mostly his feelings on playing Neville Longbottom for the past ten years. Lewis recalls his audition for the character:

"It was at the Queens Hotel in Leeds, which is where I live. I was a huge fan of the books, so I asked my mom if we could go down to the audition. We were in line for about four or five hours and we were given a raffle number. I remember I was number 463. We just had to wait and wait and eventually we got in and I had to read a paragraph from the book, which was the paragraph where Harry is talking about the dragon egg from the first film. So I read that and left and that was it. It was two months before we heard anything. We pretty much said, 'Well, maybe next year we'll try out for film two,' but we got a call asking if I wanted to come meet Chris Columbus, the director, and it just moved really quickly after that. I can't really explain how I felt. It was just amazing."

Lewis also discusses how Neville Longbottom has changed over the course of the films:

"In the earlier films, I had a fat suit on, which was not very enjoyable. I also had bits of plastic behind my ears so they would stick out, and there were false teeth as well. But as Neville got a bit older, we started slowly making him a bit cooler, not totally cool, but a bit cooler. In the last film, Neville's got no fat suit, no false teeth, no plastic behind his ears, but I was still in hair and makeup for a long time because there's lots of blood and cuts and bruises. I think the first time we put all the blood and stuff on, I was in hair and makeup for about two hours."

You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Raven_avatar_thumb

It beats having to go on a diet!

Posted by Won_Two on June 23, 2011, 10:08 AM report to moderator
19367_107686879241474_100000004876136_193787_5840231_n_thumb

I knew about the false teeth and the ears, but I had no idea he wore a fat suit. I thought he might have just been a bit round to begin with. :P I’m excited to see him in the room of requirement in the last movie. Hope they do it right!

Posted by MrsBeccabear55 on June 23, 2011, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I love Neville and Matt!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on June 23, 2011, 10:27 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Your COOL MATT LEWIS… !

Posted by Priori Incantato on June 24, 2011, 09:59 PM report to moderator
Design_keepcalm_thumb

I always loved Neville….I hated how the movies portrayed him, I really wished they had kept closer to the books. He wasn’t just a class clown…even if it was unintetional

Posted by sunny2017 on June 25, 2011, 10:40 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"There'll be only one murder here tonight," said Black, and his grin widened.