Matt Lewis Talks Neville Longbottom: "Seeing Neville Become a Fighter Was Great"

Lewis
Posted by: Mel
June 22, 2011, 09:11 PM

In a new interview with Parade Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) about a variety of topics, but mostly his feelings on playing Neville Longbottom for the past ten years. Lewis recalls his audition for the character:

"It was at the Queens Hotel in Leeds, which is where I live. I was a huge fan of the books, so I asked my mom if we could go down to the audition. We were in line for about four or five hours and we were given a raffle number. I remember I was number 463. We just had to wait and wait and eventually we got in and I had to read a paragraph from the book, which was the paragraph where Harry is talking about the dragon egg from the first film. So I read that and left and that was it. It was two months before we heard anything. We pretty much said, 'Well, maybe next year we'll try out for film two,' but we got a call asking if I wanted to come meet Chris Columbus, the director, and it just moved really quickly after that. I can't really explain how I felt. It was just amazing."

Lewis also discusses how Neville Longbottom has changed over the course of the films:

"In the earlier films, I had a fat suit on, which was not very enjoyable. I also had bits of plastic behind my ears so they would stick out, and there were false teeth as well. But as Neville got a bit older, we started slowly making him a bit cooler, not totally cool, but a bit cooler. In the last film, Neville's got no fat suit, no false teeth, no plastic behind his ears, but I was still in hair and makeup for a long time because there's lots of blood and cuts and bruises. I think the first time we put all the blood and stuff on, I was in hair and makeup for about two hours."

You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Owl_thumb

First! The thing about theft suit is hilarious! I have also injured seeing Neville evolve from complete dork to humble hero

Posted by farewell_fred on June 22, 2011, 09:43 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

…I really love that Jo had Neville destroy the last horcrux ,it’s really sweet and maybe antispated but not quite sure what he would do heroically

Posted by farewell_fred on June 22, 2011, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe__rupert_grint__emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_image_1_thumb

The Witless Wonder!

Posted by crikeyhunter on June 22, 2011, 10:01 PM report to moderator

He wore a fat suit? I wonder how skinny he was when he started! =]

Posted by . on June 22, 2011, 10:08 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

Oh bat my first comment,,,there are a lot of typos! Sryy I meant to say fat suit Instead of theft suit and also injured is supposed to be injoyec!;b

Posted by farewell_fred on June 22, 2011, 10:38 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

Ong I typoed in that last one too! Stupid miss-spelling spell Check!!!!!

Posted by farewell_fred on June 22, 2011, 10:40 PM report to moderator

A fat suit? I had no idea. I just thought he got skinny after the first couple of years. Now I want to watch the movies again. Lol

Posted by Ratorr on June 22, 2011, 11:31 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

You go Neville/Matt! After years of watching everying else he finially get a chance to kick some major ass! ;)

Posted by LunaLuver on June 22, 2011, 11:50 PM report to moderator
Beckett_thumb

GO NEVILLE!!! in the words of sue, YOU ROCK BABE!!!

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on June 23, 2011, 01:10 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

I always loved Neville. Even when he was a dork. :P Now he’s a BAMF! xoxo

Posted by Kessalia19 on June 23, 2011, 03:05 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Neville is the best, can’t wait to see him in action in DH Part 2! Matt and Neville have both changed so much since Philosopher’s Stone.

Posted by Fawkes1706 on June 23, 2011, 04:48 AM report to moderator

Huge Neville fan!!

Posted by Lisa96 (ROAR) on June 23, 2011, 06:47 AM report to moderator
December_loadoff_087_thumb

Matt is gorgeous ..
Fatsuit or not .. xD

Posted by Bella'love ^HISS^ on June 23, 2011, 06:58 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Neville is MY HERO!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on June 23, 2011, 07:57 AM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

haha no way fat suit. thats great!!! i love how neville changes, especially in book 7!! GO NEVILLE!!! cant wait to see him in hp7p2!!!

Posted by sboyer06 on June 23, 2011, 09:23 AM report to moderator

"Enough -- effing -- [i]owls[/i]..." muttered Uncle Vernon distractedly, stomping over to the window and slamming it shut again.