James and Oliver Phelps Announce MTV's Harry Potter World Cup

Fans
Posted by: Rosi
June 17, 2011, 12:35 AM

MTV have released a video in which James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley) announce the Harry Potter World Cup, "a month-long tournament that will have you, the fans, voting to make your voice heard and determine who really is the greatest character in the entire Potterverse." 64 different characters in total are battling for the top title, with the winner to be announced during MTV News' coverage of the "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" premiere in New York City.

Leaky will be one of the fansites weighing in on the competition as the tournament unfolds. The first round of voting begins on Monday, 20th June and runs until the 26th of June; find the full voting schedule underneath the Phelps twins' video announcement below:

MTV News' Harry Potter World Cup Tournament Voting Schedule:

Round 1 – Monday, June 20th through Sunday, June 26th
Round 2 – Monday, June 27th through Thursday, June 30th at Midnight
Sweet 16 – Friday, July 1st through Tuesday, July 5th at Midnight
Elite 8 – Wednesday, July 6th through Thursday, July 7th at Midnight
Final 4 – Friday, July 8th through Sunday, July 10th at Midnight
Championship Round – Final 2 announced Monday, July 11th. Voting will continue up until the New York City premiere of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2."

Find the official bracket here and more information at this link. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Angel_thumb

Interesting… but I doubt it will be all that reliable. It is not a contest of merit, merely a popularity contest. Still, it is something a bit different, so I will give it a look.

Posted by hrrypttrfn328 on June 20, 2011, 01:16 AM report to moderator

this is interesting but no where does it tell you HOW to vote. I guess you have to use magic.

Posted by LoriMJo on June 20, 2011, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Avatars_house2_13_thumb

I’m afraid the Twilight fans will do anything just to let anything related to Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory) to win >.>

Posted by shi suisen on June 20, 2011, 08:50 AM report to moderator
Gryfindor_lion_thumb

I agree with shi suisen. :-)
But it’s possible to vote only with twitter? :-(

Posted by Patronus 27 on June 20, 2011, 08:53 AM report to moderator
Gryfindor_lion_thumb

I think that the Final 4 would be: Harry, Hermione, James Potter and Ron; maybe the outsiders will be Draco, Dumbledore, Bellatrix and Voldemort.
But wait a second: a World Cup Tournament WITHOUT Ludo Bagman???? :-)

Posted by Patronus 27 on June 20, 2011, 08:57 AM report to moderator
Gryfindor_lion_thumb

Round 1 and already a derby: Arthur vs Percy!

Posted by Patronus 27 on June 20, 2011, 09:12 AM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

LoriMJo and Patronus 27, you can vote on MTV’s website. Go to the official bracket Leaky links to and then click on Harry vs Quirrell. It’ll take you to the voting page for the first two pairs.

In round one I voted for Harry over Quirrell and Lockhart over Lucius, but I want Ron to win overall. I wouldn’t mind if Harry did though, just so long as Ron is in the top 5. This is a fun idea.

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on June 20, 2011, 10:28 AM report to moderator
Gryfindor_lion_thumb

Oh, thank’s a lot!!!

Posted by Patronus 27 on June 20, 2011, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

oh thank you ! perfect !

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on June 20, 2011, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Vote for the giant squid!

Posted by Won_Two on June 20, 2011, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Gryfindor_lion_thumb

Question: why Quirrel is #16, Lucius #8 and Lockart #9 ?
13,76 % Quirrel???? It’s a joke, right???

Posted by Patronus 27 on June 20, 2011, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

Actually could someone explain the bracket to me? At the moment I can only vote for Harry vs Quirrell or Lockhart vs Lucius. When do we vote for Ron or Lavender? That hasn’t been done already has it?

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on June 20, 2011, 11:36 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_philosopher_s_stone_thumb

@Immortal Phoenix- Is it that hard? Buddy, this is in rounds, you can only vote for the people that week. This week its Harry vs. Quirrel and Lockhart vs. Lucius. Each week, it will be divided closer and closer to the champions, who have won most. Finally, we will have a winner.

@Patronus 27- Each character is assigned a random number they represent. And no, its not a joke, some idiots actually think Quirrel could beat Harry.

Personally, I’m rooting for the top four to be Hagrid, McGonagall, Slughorn and Dumbledore…with the top 8 also including Hermione, Rita, Harry and Ron _

Posted by RubeusHagrid on June 20, 2011, 11:50 AM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

Voting has now opened for McGonagall vs Fudge and Neville vs Greyback. No real mystery who’s going to win those. :)

RubeusHagrid, though my country always plays in the World Cup I don’t really follow it so I’m not familiar with the bracket. I’m pretty sure I get it now though.

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on June 20, 2011, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Gryfindor_lion_thumb

Only 17 % for Lockhart? :-(
The others are a bit predictables, with a strong performance: more than 88 % for each other. I think that the first head-to-head will be Trelawney vs Flitwick….. I love World Cups and I love brackets! :-)

Posted by Patronus 27 on June 20, 2011, 02:41 PM report to moderator

Harry thought, and no sooner had he reached the part about number twelve, Grimmauld Place, than a battered door emerged out of nowhere between numbers eleven and thirteen, followed swiftly by dirty walls and grimy windows. It was as though an extra house