"Thanks for all of it, Jo" Alan Rickman Remembers Harry Potter for Empire Magazine

Rickman
Posted by: Edward
May 25, 2011, 03:38 PM

Actor Alan Rickman (who portrays the character of Severus Snape) has written as part of Empire Magazine's Harry Potter Ultimate Celebration Supplement about his time working on the films.  In brief, yet touching, note, Mr. Rickman describes his emotions upon finishing his role as Severus Snape and recalls working with his young co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley).  The note finishes with a thank you to Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling.

To view the note, please click here.

The full issue of Empire Magazine with the 36 page supplementary will arrive on newsstands tomorrow.

Thanks to Andy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

That note pretty much sums up everything.

And reminds me once again why I love Alan Rickman so much.

And why I love this series so much.

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on May 26, 2011, 02:47 PM report to moderator
Picnik_collage_simple_thumb

GO SNAOE!

Picnik_collage_simple_thumb

GO SNAOE!

Normal_hp5-tl-0271_thumb

ABSOLUTLEY GREAT

Posted by J.E.T. on May 26, 2011, 08:50 PM report to moderator

alan rickman does a superb job as severu snape I cant wait to see his performance in the last movie

Posted by wdlee on May 26, 2011, 09:07 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Clearly there ARE still people who haven’t read the books, and haven’t been paying very close attention to the films either, because elsewhere on the web you can still see them arguing about Snape in many languages. (The other day I think someone was calling him ‘an accursed traitor’ in Portuguese.) Merlin’s Beard, they’re going to have a shock when they see the last film!

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on May 27, 2011, 02:33 AM report to moderator

waw he’s not just the greteast of actors he’s also a impressive writer waw

Posted by daldula on May 27, 2011, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

I don’t know, Valeria-Johanna – you have of course a point when saying some people might not have read all the books yet – but really, the last one came out in 2007 – and we are in 2011 now …. so plenty of time passed by I should say. In my opinion Rickman is saying he doesn’t want to spoil things for the young readers as an excuse – he simply doesn’t want to talk about Snape. I can partly understand him – whenever he tried to promote a new film or work for the theatre, journalists constantly asked him about Harry Potter instead. This must have been extremely frustrating. But he could have counteracted by giving one or two lengthy interviews specifically and exclusively about his work for HP – and after that, if any journalist dared to ask him about Snape again, he could refer them to that interview.

I mean even the most reluctant actors (Rafe Fiennes for example) do now talk about their parts.

Posted by siena on May 27, 2011, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

P.S. By calling Rafe Fiennes “reluctant” I meant, of course, that he is usually reluctant to speak about his parts – NOT that he is a reluctant actor, of course ….

Posted by siena on May 27, 2011, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_philosopher_s_stone_thumb

What a wonderful note from my favorite actor actor of all time to my favorite author of all time..How perfect, right?
I heard someone else say, “He didn’t want to give away anything because some people have not yet read the books.”
But well, honestly—you’ve had four years, folks. There’s this one girl in my class—and when I let slip Dobby dies, she screams at me, “I DIDNT WANT TO KNOW THAT! YOU RUINED IT!” I said, “well you’ve got 4 years…And you’ve still not read it…” But she’s read Twilight saga. Honestly, the girls who read that (or most) just read it so they can be like “I’ve read a book! Yay!”

Sorry :P

Anyway, love the letter and fantastic job Mr.Rickman!

Posted by RubeusHagrid on May 27, 2011, 03:50 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’ve loved Alan Rickman as an actor for a long time!!!

This only adds to my admiration of him!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on May 28, 2011, 09:47 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

What a fantastic note from a fantastic actor! It doesn’t much matter to me why he is so reluctant to talk about Snape. Somehow it seems more appropriate. Snape, even after “The Prince’s Tale” is an enigma, and by not talking about him in depth, we, as readers, and Alan Rickman, as the actor, are left to draw some of our own conclusions about Snape. We were given a lot of information about his life and his motivations, but there is still some mystery about him that makes him a more interesting character. And when all of that is put with JKR’s comments, we end up with the most challenging character to understand. And apparently, that was not really Jo’s intention. It’s always nice to find serendipity in a book, and even nicer when it carries over into the movie. We have Alan Rickman’s reluctance to tell us all he knows about Snape to thank for that, and the result is a fascinating and magical moment in the movies.

Thank you, Mr. Rickman, and thank you, Jo Rowling. Isn’t it great that two brilliantly talented people gave us Severus Snape.

Posted by Eeyore on May 30, 2011, 04:56 AM report to moderator
Lily___james_potter_thumb

that was brief, touching and basically summing up what most of the cast probably felt…love you, Mr.Rickman, excellent job on the films!

Posted by Miss Weasley on May 30, 2011, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

That was really emotional

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on June 14, 2011, 05:51 AM report to moderator

"Look at this!" said Malfoy in ecstasy, holding up Ron's robes and showing Crabbe and Goyle, "Weasley, you weren't thinking of [i]wearing[/i] these, were you? I mean -- they were very fashionable in about eighteen ninety...."