Rupert Grint, Tom Felton Talk Characters and "Part 2" Final Battle with Empire Magazine

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
May 25, 2011, 11:20 AM

As part of Empire Magazine's commemorative Harry Potter feature, two new interviews with Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) have been published online.

Grint spoke about Ron's darker turn in the "Deathly Hallows" and what it was like filming the final battle.

So when you read the book, and you see what happens, did you become excited?

That's been the case with a lot of the later books, really. The character's had a lot more dimensions to him. In previous films Ron was usually quite scared all the time, that was always kind of him, but it was great to see that there was a lot more heavy emotion. Because he really falls in love, so there's all that story, and that really develops in Part Two particularly. And then there's the family stuff as well. There are some quite dark things that I never really got before with Ron.

Was it a case of 'no acting required' as Hogwarts comes down there?

Yeah. It really nailed that down, that this was the end. Seeing the Great Hall... The place had become quite a familiar one in our lives; we'd spent a lot of time there. And now it's on fire. There are dead bodies, dead children everywhere. It's really dark.
Click here for the complete interview and watch a video of Grint talking about the final film.

Felton meanwhile talked about the tight bond between the cast and crew on the Harry Potter set and what his final few days of filming were like.
What was your last scene?

There were a couple. One of my last scenes as a group was us, 19 years on, on the platform at King's Cross. That was really quite fitting, because one of my first scenes was as a 10 year old being put on the train there, ten years ago literally to the day, so it was really weird and suitable that that fit. My very last one was a night shoot on 2nd unit just by myself. I was shot walking away after the battle, I believe, so again, that was really nice because there's always a tighter feeling with the 2nd unit crew.

There was a lovely moment at the Empire Awards one year when you were both there and she immediately went into Bellatrix mode.

I always get really taken aback by that! It's all very different when you're working together, but when you're outside work you always think, "I wonder if they still have a clue who I am". And she literally pounced on me! I've learnt a lot from her. She's the complete Jekyll and Hyde, if you will: she's the sweetest British lady and slightly in her own world and then when the cameras roll she goes berserk, which is amazing. It's brilliant to watch. I could name more: every single one of those actors has been incredibly nice to me, which makes a big difference.
Felton's full interview can be read here along with a video clip of the actor.

Empire Magazine hits shelves tomorrow, May 26. Fans can also order a copy of the publication online.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

This issue of Empire Magazine will be AMAZING! Thank you guys for tributing the end!

Posted by KiwiMcI on May 25, 2011, 11:37 AM report to moderator
3106762989_1_7_lisbs0hy_thumb

Great!Can’t wait to read it:D

Posted by CDR on May 25, 2011, 12:59 PM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

Hoping I can find this mag. in the US, if not will have to order it online! Can’t wait to see and read the whole thing :-)

Posted by Rosie016 on May 25, 2011, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Me_2010_thumb

@Rosie016: From my experience, Barnes & Nobles and Borders usually sell Empire though it might be a few weeks behind. Best to check with your local store :)

Posted by Stephanie J on May 25, 2011, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Thanks, Stephanie J. I will try that. I enjoyed the comments from Rupert and Tom, and especially Tom’s description of Helena Bonham-Carter’s acting chops. I loved her depiction of Queen Elizabeth(the Queen Mum) in The King’s Speech too. The way she socially cut out Wallace Simpson was pretyy terrific acting!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on May 25, 2011, 01:43 PM report to moderator

I can’t wait to read this issue.

Posted by Ratorr on May 25, 2011, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I can’t wait to get my hands on that magazine! I am rushing straight to the shop tommorow morning!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on May 25, 2011, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I absolutely can’t wait to get it!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on May 25, 2011, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Sounds like it will be a good one…

Posted by Won_Two on May 25, 2011, 04:53 PM report to moderator

I want to read it now! Can’t wait for the movie! (:

Posted by . on May 25, 2011, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I am def. buying Empire Magazine this weekend. So much is in it, such a must have for the finally movie. I cannot wait!!!! =D

Posted by LunaLuver on May 25, 2011, 07:52 PM report to moderator
Radcliffe_artices_radiotimes_01_thumb

bought my copy already!! Can’t wait 2 get it in my mail box soon! Hope!!!!

Posted by roller on May 25, 2011, 11:04 PM report to moderator
December_loadoff_087_thumb

Sounds like a fantastic piece ..

Posted by Bella'love ^HISS^ on May 26, 2011, 06:00 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

tears i am crying my eyes out right now, reading about the interviews and watching the videos…it all just hit home it’s ending, my childhood……
i’ll have to get my hands on this feature!

Posted by mencia on May 26, 2011, 07:46 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Can’t wait to read the rest and see those video’s!

Posted by Jacket on May 26, 2011, 09:55 AM report to moderator

The Creevey brothers had managed to get hold of a stack of [i]Support Cedric Diggory![/i] badges and were trying to bewitch them to make them say [i]Support Harry Potter![/i] instead. So far, however, all they had managed to do was get the badges stuck on