Potter Producers Heyman and Barron on "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Changes, Additions, and Spoilers

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
April 05, 2011, 12:54 AM

CinemaBlend has a report online from last week's CinemaCon event, which included a discussion with Harry Potter film producers David Heyman and David Barron.  In addition to the much talked about four minute collection of footage from the film, the producers spoke at length about the second half of  the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film.  In the Q&A, which can be heard and read in its entirety here, Mr. Heyman and Mr. Barron discuss alterations made to the final battle elements of the film, as well as speak to the reshoots done for the Epilogue scene last winter.  Below is a small portion of the lengthy Q&A.  As always, beware of movie specific spoilers!

In the footage we saw today, there's a scene of Snape and McGonagall facing off in the Great Hall, which I don't remember happening at all in the book.
They do face off, but it's not in the Great Hall. There are a lot of things there that are slightly different from the book, but they are true to the spirit to the book. Snape and McGonagall do face off in the book, but it's in a corridor as Harry's on his way to the Ravenclaw common room. It didn't work the way we were structuring the final battle to have that, so it takes place in the Great Hall. We also wanted to make a bigger scene of Harry's confrontation with Snape. Snape's role in the film is minimal, and it was minimal in the second half of the book, and yet you wanted to have the emotional investment when you see his past story [the memory Harry views in the Pensieve]. We wanted to build that up in order for it to have its emotional impact.
So the Pensieve moment stays in too?
Yes, that and Dumbledore [at King's Cross]. But what I love about these films, what I love about the books, is that all the action, adventure and magic, what means most to me is the character stuff, the slow stuff. I love having the time to tell the story. I'm really happy about breaking the book into two films, it gives us the time to really spend time with the characters and have the moments such as the flashback, Dumbledore at King's Cross. If we had done it as one film, we would have lost the Snape flashback.
Do you keep the desks that Professor McGonagall is instructing to charge?
No, we didn't.
Oh, I loved the desks!
I liked the desks too, but if you think about it, in a film which has grown up, that's kind of juvenile. It's like Peter Pettigrew strangling himself [which happened in the seventh book but was cut from the film]. It's great in the book, but really hard on film. Those things don't translate as well when the films are growing up.
When you went back and reshot the epilogue at the end of the film, was it mostly tweaking the makeup effects?
It was a couple of reasons. One it was the makeup, that was the first thing. The other was, to be honest, we were limited by shooting at King's Cross. It really limited our ability to block. And in terms of performance, these little kids, some of who weren't actors, were drowned by the noise of the trains, the announcements. That was really a problem. When we filmed it back at the studio, we brought the trains to the studio and filled the station in digitally. It's really beautiful.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Ed-in-chief_thumb

if only we can time travel to july 14…

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on April 05, 2011, 12:59 AM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

If only.

Posted by potternotrotter on April 05, 2011, 01:37 AM report to moderator
Beckett_thumb

if we could….i’d travel to New york……..premiere style…………..DAMN YOU TO HELL TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without you we would have the WHOLE 8 movies out by now so CURSE YOU AND YOUR STUPID VAMPS TO HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if only i could emphasise my point more clearly…..

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on April 05, 2011, 04:47 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

I agree! I am beyond excited to see this film now!!! Although while I understand what he says about omitting McGonagall and the desks, I will miss it.

Posted by eccentricalice on April 05, 2011, 04:59 AM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

@mudblood: Breathe! We all dream of being able to join the whole cast in London for the premiere, I know. July will be here soon enough.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on April 05, 2011, 07:39 AM report to moderator
Roses2_thumb

Cool! I am really looking forward to seeing the last Harry Potter film… I am very sad though! :( I can’t wait for any R/H moments. They are such a sweet couple! I think Rupert and Emma should date. They would be perfect for each other. I know, ships are way off topic! LOL XD!

Posted by CassidyWeasley:) on April 05, 2011, 08:00 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

“Snape’s role in the film is minimal and it was minimal in the second half of the book.”

What on earth is he talking about ??? Snape’s role in DH (Book) is far from minimal !!!

Posted by siena on April 05, 2011, 09:39 AM report to moderator
34903_1465127064332_1118181956_31366985_5699589_n_thumb

I only wonder how long until a box set of all eight ultimate editions are available.

Posted by Madeye Carl on April 05, 2011, 11:17 AM report to moderator

“I liked the desks too, but if you think about it, in a film which has grown up, that’s kind of juvenile.”

Doesn’t this strike anyone as being a bit odd? Why are they aiming the films at a different audience to the books?

And I hope Ginny stops trying to be seductive in this one. I’m sick of the “ooh, do my dress up Harry!” codswallop :)

Posted by pipkin3 on April 05, 2011, 11:21 AM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I am really very excited to see how the Battle of Hogwarts looks…. There is just so much that could be right and so much that could go wrong. I wish they would have asked if the scene with Snape and Harry in the Shrieking Shake was left in… When green eyes met black.

Posted by JessSnape on April 05, 2011, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

@JessSnape, the Snape scenes are all in the film – listen to the latest Pottercast if you want to know more. I am pretty excited now, too.

Posted by siena on April 05, 2011, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

I’m about to cry! I can’t wait to see Snape’s scenes, but it’s gonna be over!! no!!!! I’m just glad I was able to have a great experience in my life such as Harry Potter.

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on April 05, 2011, 02:04 PM report to moderator
Owls_thumb

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s going to be over!!!! WHY???!!!! These movies are one of the few things I live for!!!!!

Posted by hedwiglover on April 05, 2011, 03:02 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

How exactly are stampeding desks any more ‘juvenile’ than marching suits of armor? I’m disappointed that they left that out.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 05, 2011, 03:36 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

‘[W]e are the harshest critics of the films. I’m aware of everything that’s wrong with each and every one of the films…There’s nothing we can be told.’

What spectacular arrogance. The fact that the typical fan response to the burning-of-the-Burrow scene was ‘WTF????’ clearly means nothing to them whatsoever – just to cite one glaringly bad filmmaking decision.

I just hope I live long enough to see a remake that does full justice to the saga – perhaps a made-for-cable-TV maxi-series (for that, I would get cable!), created lovingly by people who truly come out of JKR’s fandom.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 05, 2011, 04:02 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"This mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible."