J.K. Rowling "Actively Considering" Plans for E-Book Release of Harry Potter Series

Books
Posted by: Rosi
April 04, 2011, 10:52 AM

The Scotsman is today reporting a quote from J.K. Rowling's agent, which says that the Harry Potter author is "now actively considering plans for e-book versions" of the Harry Potter books.

The article speculates that the e-book rights that would need to be purchased to make the whole series available on the iPad and Kindle could fetch up to £100m (approx $161.64m USD).

Find the full article at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

20261_1274074097358_1395090330_30880094_3910781_n_thumb

I definitely feel that I’m in the Harry Potter fan minority, as I prefer e-books. Oh, and Noble Birth Descending, they’re not saying that the e-books would retail for that much, they’re saying that the e-book rights might go for as much as $161,640,000.00 . They had the “m” on the pounds but not on the USD.

Posted by Egor on April 04, 2011, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I think that cloethebelatrixlover is onto something. Wouldn’t the Potter books actually be better on scrolls of parchment, if they feel the need to market them in a different format?

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 04, 2011, 04:24 PM report to moderator

HOORAY! Now can someone please suggest the books be released in ePub format and Nook too? Not all of us like that tacky Kindle or the toy iPad. I’m a “real” book lover, but really, lugging pounds of HP on vacation isn’t my idea of fun.

Posted by redtapegrrl on April 04, 2011, 04:26 PM report to moderator

I’d certainly purchase a set just for the ease and convience of always having some superb reading available:)

Posted by Metalcutter on April 04, 2011, 04:47 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

It’s about freakin’ time. Although I still suspect ebook editions are several years away, sadly. Assuming Rowling even decides to go with them.

Posted by vespasian68967 on April 04, 2011, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I do prefer to read from an actual book, but I have read from two e-readers. I think that its a great idea if it will help more people discover the amazing world of Harry Potter!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on April 04, 2011, 05:31 PM report to moderator
Privetdrive_thumb

Fans who read both physical books and ebooks would definitely want to have both formats, because it is too difficult to carry all 7 books (8+ if you count Beedle the Bard and the 2 textbooks for Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch) everywhere you go, but you can carry one Ebook reader, making it easy to refer to any of these books (or refer to more than one) on the go. Then read the paper versions at home. They ought to throw in the Lexicon by Steve Van Der Ark as well.

Posted by Viurre on April 04, 2011, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Wrong_thumb

YES!!!!!!!!!! I keep checking Amazon, hoping I missed an announcement about the HP series being release for ebooks but its not there =[[[ I hope they decide to relese them, I know buy them =]

Posted by ∂ʋмвℓɛ∂σяκ31*ЯѲΔЯ* on April 04, 2011, 08:18 PM report to moderator

I have the entire series, in hard cover, bought on release day. I still read them often, but my hands get so cramped holding onto the four largest books. Nothing will replace my beloved bound paper books, but I really hope Jo decides to release e-book versions. I’d pay just about any price to be able to read these classics even as my hands deteriorate!

Posted by Zainy Scamander on April 04, 2011, 09:35 PM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

Books are much better than e-readers :)

Posted by potternotrotter on April 05, 2011, 01:36 AM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

Harry Potter fans are just awesome, I love that so many here prefer printed books as I do, including those who want the ebooks as well. The books have been printed in such nice editions. I do understand the desire to have them in a more travel-convenient format though. Don’t forget to frequent your local bookstore if you want to continue to have both, because publishers are so going to push for a total ebook takeover if they can.

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on April 05, 2011, 06:08 AM report to moderator
Hg_thumb

I have multiple copies of all the books plus the audiobooks. Bring on the Kindle versions. I love the books, but portability is golden!

Posted by Chreechree on April 06, 2011, 10:46 AM report to moderator

Oh I can’t wait! I hope it happens soon because I’m going on a 16 hour flight to Hong Kong at the end of June. I really want to re-read the series before the last movie comes out, and the flights there and back would be perfect – but I just can’t lug seven books with me on the trip. I love my “real” HP books – but an e-reader version is essential for travel. Great News!

Posted by Eurisko22 on April 06, 2011, 03:40 PM report to moderator
Polar

I love books don’t get me wrong, however this would seal the deal for me on a e reader. If this goes through I am so getting an I pad.

Posted by lupinblack2001 on April 08, 2011, 12:57 AM report to moderator

About time too. This should have been done much sooner. I travel a lot and it’s so much more convenient to have 50 books all together on my ipod than to cart even two books around, especially books as large as the HP series.

Posted by anne1 on April 08, 2011, 12:05 PM report to moderator

"She met that Potter at school and they left and got married and had you, and of course I knew you'd be just the same, just as strange, just as -- as -- [br][i]abnormal[/i] -- and then, if you please, she went and got herself blown up and we got landed wi

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014