Collider Talks 3D, Blu-Ray and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Length with Producers Heyman and Barron (Updated)

DH Film
Posted by: Rosi
April 02, 2011, 06:45 PM

CinemaCon took place this week at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and Potter producers David Heyman and David Barron gave a non-spoilery interview to Collider just before the Warner Bros. presentation in which they talk about making the last film 3D, "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" for Blu-Ray and the length of the film. Some quotes from the interview:

Interviewer: You guys decided not to do the 3D conversion for Part 1, but you said 3D for Part 2. Is Part 2 still being released in 3D?
Heyman: Yes it is. The reason we didn’t do it on the first part was because we didn’t feel that we could do it justice. And actually the 3D would actually compromise the film, so we didn’t have the time.
Barron: We were diving into 3D for the first time, it was a new world for us, and so we didn’t get off to a fine start. There wasn’t time to do it properly, and so Warners very very kindly supported us. I’m sure they were wishing it was not the case, but they were hugely supportive to not put out something that we weren’t happy with.

Heyman: David Yates is approaching 3D from a character point of view.
Barron: It’s a storytelling aid. Rather than being a special effect gimmick where it’s like “Oh that’s cool.” We’re using it to help tell the story better.
Heyman: It’s probably gonna be more subtle than on some films, we’re not gonna have tons of stuff flying out the screen, we’ll have some but not much. The depth will not necessarily be as great as some films. But it will make the film feel larger, be more immersive, and I think it will add to the stories as opposed to take away.

Interviewer: What’s the running time of the final film?
Barron: It will be one of the shortest films.
Heyman: It will be the shortest film.
Interviewer: So what does that mean?
Heyman: We don’t know yet, because we’re still editing.
Barron: It’s not a short film, but it will be shorter than the others.

Find the full interview at this link.

Update: Images of David Heyman and David Barron at CinemaCon on the red carpet and receiving the Hall of Fame award can now be viewed in the Leaky galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

well I’m in two minds about whether to see it in 3D. I am not a fan of 3D at all and actually thought it had a negative effect (or no effect) on some of the films I saw such as Avatar and Toy Story 3. On the other hand it will be the only time I see it in 3D so maybe I should.

I hope that some cinemas do a double bill and show part 1 again just before part 2.

Posted by anne1 on April 04, 2011, 04:43 AM report to moderator
Lily___james_potter_thumb

HOW SHORT WILL IT BE? :0
If it’s in 3D what will that mean for the CD version? I mean since they use it to help tell the story???

Posted by Miss Weasley on April 04, 2011, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Ron_and_hermione_fight_thumb

Keep in mind that the first half of Deathly Hallows was 2 hrs. 30 mins. and it covered way over half of the storyline in the book. There is not a whole lot left to cover as far as sequential events go, although I know there’s going to be a lot of backstory (as there is in the book). I think even if it was 1 hr. 30 mins. that would be plenty of time to tie up all loose ends. Of course, I hope it’s longer, but I also hope that it is just as long as it needs to be to make it perfect.

Posted by Andrew on April 04, 2011, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

The longer the better!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 05, 2011, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I hope it’s not the shortest film. Also I hope they come out with a 2D version since I personally am not a fan of 3D.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 10, 2011, 06:29 PM report to moderator

[Cho] smiled at him and departed. He walked on, feeling quietly elated. He had managed to have an entire conversation with her and not embarrassed himself once... [i]You were really brave standing up to her like that...[/i] She had called him brave... She