Press Peeks into J.K. Rowling's Back Yard, Sees Hagrid, Gets It Wrong

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
April 19, 2011, 06:17 AM

There's a pretty hilarious article going around from the Daily Mail that posits that J.K. Rowling is building Hagrid's Hut in the yard of her Edinburgh home. It claims the author is constructing a "lodge" that will sit at the bottom of her gardens that will mirror the hut we've seen in the films, with a conical roof, a spire, a chimney and stone steps up to the door.

While it is true she has submitted plans for the building of a garden house in her yard, which will match the style of her home and happens to have a conical roof, there isn't any intent to make it match Hagrid's hut (which is actually wooden as per the books, not stone as in the films).

Stay tuned to Leaky for more info on Jo's architectural adventures, including her plans to build a full scale Hogwarts on the grounds of Buckingham Palace; the functioning Hog's Head pub being readied for her private use on the Royal Mile, and, of course, her very own Room of Requirement, which will appear now and then inside her Edinburgh home and serve coffee, biscuits and writing inspiration on demand. We'll bring you the scoop!

(Just in case it needs saying, which we know from experience it does: The above paragraph is a joke and should not be mistaken for anything resembling truth.)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Tumblr_lf5ex5tfjg1qcfnt7o1_r1_500_1__thumb

Hahahahahahahahahahhahaha oh leaky

Posted by Jakk Hagrid on April 19, 2011, 06:32 AM report to moderator
Wall_thumb

I came to Leaky for amusement today and this article exceeded expectations!

Posted by Loader Lady on April 19, 2011, 06:55 AM report to moderator
475968_thumb

Mwahahahahaha!! I read the Daily Mail article and was thinking – riiiight, sure she is… Glad to see my skepticism was correct. Loved this!

Posted by TarsieS (FTC) on April 19, 2011, 07:04 AM report to moderator

Ahh Melissa I love you XD

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on April 19, 2011, 07:05 AM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

Thanks for making me laugh today. I bet our daughter would love a Hagrid’s hut in our yard, though…

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on April 19, 2011, 07:11 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

Wait a minute — you mean she doesn’t have a functioning owlery????

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on April 19, 2011, 07:54 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Fabulous, Leaky! Love to start my day with a laugh :)

Posted by Lillylove on April 19, 2011, 07:57 AM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

Hahaha:P
Oh dear, what do the press come up with these days!
They’ll write anything to get people to read them:/
Very funny though leaky:P ;)

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on April 19, 2011, 07:58 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

There was a similar article in The Sunday Times which had more details and an impression of what it would look like, and my first reaction when they suggested it looked like Hagrid’s hut was “which one?” as there seem to have been several in the films.

Posted by roonwit on April 19, 2011, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Imagescajfpgyt_thumb

Oh that’s hilarious :) What a way to brighten my day further after the glorious weather outside :D

Posted by SnapeshouldhavebeeninGryffindor! on April 19, 2011, 09:05 AM report to moderator

Personally, I would like a Great Hall, with food apprearing whenever I am hungrty….

Posted by Dawna on April 19, 2011, 09:09 AM report to moderator

@ Dawna, my sentiments exactly! =D
lol this is a funny story! haahah!

Posted by Winkyxx on April 19, 2011, 09:10 AM report to moderator

Nice one Melissa, I would not object to Buckingham Palace being replaced by Hogwarts, brought a smile to my face :). I wish there was a Great Hall in the college I work at, have just paid €6.40 for horrible lunch in staff canteen. Hogwarts food looks so much better

Posted by DavidTheUnready on April 19, 2011, 09:21 AM report to moderator

Now THIS is what I expected to read on Leaky on April Fools Day. Leave it to The Daily Mail to conjour such a story. I hear that there are authors who work from tree houses in their back yards. Why not cozy huts?

If I had the back yard space, I would most certainly build a replica of Hagrid’s Hut as a personal respite.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on April 19, 2011, 09:47 AM report to moderator

Me too! A hut would be awesome! LOL

Posted by cassadinechik on April 19, 2011, 09:49 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

[i]"The Dark Lord will rise again with his servant's aid, greater and more terrible than ever he was. Tonight... before midnight... the servant... will seek out... to rejoin...his master..."[/i]