Royal Mail Releases Lord Voldemort and Albus Dumbledore 1st Class Stamps Today (Updated)

Products
Posted by: Rosi
March 08, 2011, 11:15 AM

The Royal Mail have issued their range of "Magical Realms" stamps today, Tuesday 8th March, including two 1st Class stamps featuring Michael Gambon and Ralph Fiennes as Albus Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort respectively. Update: You can now find images of the stamps right here in our galleries. In a press release, the Royal Mail wrote:

Magical Realms (...) features some of the world famous wizards and enchanters who have brought a touch of magic to millions of people, from the legendary tales of King Arthur to the million-selling books of C.S. Lewis, Sir Terry Pratchett and J.K. Rowling.
The set of eight stamps use a combination of film imagery and newly commissioned images.  The set of stamps includes the myths and legends of King Arthur through two 60p stamps of Merlin and Morgan le Fay, while two 97p stamps reveal images of Aslan and the White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia. The set is completed by four 1st Class stamps portraying Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series and Rincewind and Nanny Ogg from Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series.
Renowned author Sir Terry Pratchett is quoted as saying:
Throughout history wizards and magicians have always held a beguiling place in the British psyche. In legends, poems, books and films, they have been a constant source of inspiration for generations.
Philip Parker, Royal Mail Stamps spokesperson, said:
People across the UK have always enjoyed an epic tale of magical adventure, so we decided to bring together these classic stories, both ancient and modern, in one set of stamps.
Many of these tales involve more than one magical character, so we selected four different sets of stories, choosing two characters from each. The result is a beautiful set of stamps and a fitting tribute to these legends of literature.
Stamps and stamp products are available at all Post Offices, or online at this link and from Royal Mail Tallents House (tel. 08457 641 641), 21 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 9PB.

Pictures of the stamps can be seen at this link in our galleries from here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

I’m going to buy several packs then send myself a letter covered in them (with my address barely visible) just like Molly Weasley, lol. Can’t wait for these!!

Posted by ogdensnut on March 08, 2011, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

I want these. Badly. Yet another reason for me to wish I lived in England.

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on March 08, 2011, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

These are the coolest stamps ever! All my favourite characters in a collection!

Posted by Fawkes1706 on March 08, 2011, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I would love to get one of those on a letter!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 08, 2011, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Snape_icons_collage_thumb

THAT IS SO COOL!!! :D Love it!!! :D I also have to agree, the U.S needs some cool stamps like that… :)

Posted by jhlovesmusic {^HISS^} on March 08, 2011, 10:18 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb

I’d love to have those stamps, always a reminder of some of the world’s best books ever written! Maybe one day..

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on March 09, 2011, 04:18 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

@Iceholic, Tolkien’s work has been well represented on UK stamps before now. @CristalShandaLear, I agree, the 2nd one should have been Minerva McG (if they were keeping to the male-female pattern of the other stamps) or Snape (if they were just going for the most interesting characters). I assume they were keeping it to adult magic-users, hence not Potter. I imagine if you’re outside the UK you can order sets via the Royal Mail website. I bought mine yesterday morning from the local post office, hahaha!

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 09, 2011, 05:05 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

They seem to be available for online purchase here:

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 09, 2011, 05:10 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

And this is the official site. (You can buy postcards of the designs too.)

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 09, 2011, 08:44 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb
The Royal Post produces beautiful stamps and these are going to be both fun and beautiful. If you can get your hands on a year book of British stamps from Canada Post, you can order from there too.
Posted by Fresca ROAR on March 09, 2011, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

This is really interesting. I love how they chose a positive and negative force from the series thus depicting the struggle of good and evil.

Posted by Xyra44 on March 09, 2011, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Logo_thumb

now… can I justify buying a load of stamps tomorrow? might encourage me to actually send off all the stuff I’ve been meaning to…

Posted by MySongIsLaughter on March 09, 2011, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Banana_l_thumb

@Valeria-Johanna, oh yeah, it didn’t occur to me (I only knew of the Kiwi ones, which I have, btw hehe)

Posted by Iceholic on March 09, 2011, 06:20 PM report to moderator

Glad to see that the UK takes Harry Potter so seriously. They embrace these characters like mascotts. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a wonderful thing. The US has put Elvis on a stamp, so it is fitting that they are putting Dumbledore and he who must be named on their stamps. It’s a great idea! Good Job!

Posted by lunalovewentz on March 09, 2011, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

Awesome! JKR has books, movies, merchandise, clothing, amusement park, and now postage stamps. HARRY POTTER IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!!
But, why Voldemort? Why Dumbledore? I wish they picked someone, like, not ugly.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on March 09, 2011, 10:45 PM report to moderator

Nick turned away from the window and looked mournfully at Harry. "He won't come back."[br]"Who?"[br]"Sirius Black," said Nick.