Emma Watson Putting University on Hold

Watson
Posted by: Stephanie_J
March 07, 2011, 05:06 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) posted a message on her official website today announcing that she will be taking a break from her studies at Brown University to focus on the final round of "Deathly Hallows" promotion and other projects.

As you know, I love Brown and I love studying pretty much more than anything but recently I've had so much to juggle that being a student AND fulfilling my other commitments has become a little impossible.
I've decided to take a bit of time off to completely finish my work on Harry Potter (the last one comes out this summer) and to focus on my other professional and acting projects. I will still be working towards my degree... it’s just going to take me a semester or two longer than I thought : )
Hope you are all well! Thank you for all your continuing support.
Watson recently launched the Spring/Summer 2011 collection with People Tree as well as another capsule collection with Alberta Ferretti. She is also due to begin filming her role as Sam in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" sometime this summer.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

For_your_consideration_thumb

Love her:)
She is such a great role model
I inspire to be so great like her:)
Really would like to meet her:) :)

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on March 08, 2011, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Lily___james_potter_thumb

University is important, especially to get a job…but with all the job opportunities she has…does she really need it? Anyway she is an amazing and responsible person. I absolutely admire that she is so dedicated. Go Emma! 10 points for Gryffindor ;P

Posted by Miss Weasley on March 08, 2011, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Stinkaavatar_thumb

i kinda wish emma had kept her decision private, she doesnt to say anything to anyone. she obviously doesnt need a degree to get a job in her field. her schooling was for herself, and not to impress upon anyone else…now, she is getting scrutinized for decision…which is sad. i respect her decision…go make that money! continue to strike while the irons are hot.

Posted by stinka on March 08, 2011, 09:11 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’m not surprised by this announcement. I thought she was trying to do a lot…but that’s the old woman in me :-)
I’m sure she’ll finish, but she’ll have to put something aside for that period of time. Other actors have done it, but they’ve put their acting career on hold for that period. She can definitely afford to do it.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on March 08, 2011, 11:10 PM report to moderator
600full-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows_-part-2-screenshot_thumb

I hope Emma put her heart into this decision as she is a mature young role model for me. I hope she does go back to collage for herself as she seems so passionate about it but i also hope she enjoys her life and we harry potter fans all know she like Hermione will succeed in whatever she does !!!!

Posted by maddison R-O-A-R on March 09, 2011, 02:52 AM report to moderator

I think Emma (like it or not) is much like Hermione and just as Hermione was the one to go back and finish Howarts I suspect Emma will finish her degree!

Posted by ginevra47 on March 09, 2011, 08:54 AM report to moderator

Haha, my first thought is that WB was nagging on Emma, trying to make SURE that she would be in the film premiers and not sign any contract like Dan, for whom they paid 500.000 $ to the theater for five whole funtions in order to have him in the premiers.

Anyway, Emma is very Hermione like and Hermione was able to decide to stay outside school in order to go with Harry to finsh off V. And she was the only one from the trio who decided to go back to Hogwarts and study her seventh year. I am sure that Emma will finish he study also, like she said one or two semester behind the others.

I wish her luck in whatevre she does, Hermione is the caracter who draw me into HP in first place and Emma is great in everything she does.

Posted by Eva Hedwig on March 09, 2011, 11:51 AM report to moderator

Sounds like Emma could use a time-turner about now. She will do just fine folks as Heromine is ingrained in her.

Posted by hewy on March 09, 2011, 04:43 PM report to moderator

I think it’s a wise decision to focus on her career now and leave her studies for later: if she did a 3/4-year pause now, right after Potter, it would be much more difficult to find roles when she would be finished with her studies, because she wouldn’t have worked in anything for a very long time and the last role people would remember of her would be Hermione, what would make it all the more difficult for her to shake off her typecasting.

It’s much more easier to find new and different roles now that she’s still popular after finishing the Potter films. If she concentrates on doing more films now, the ‘last’ role we would remember from her before her comeback would not be good ol’ Hermione, but she would have more roles under her belt, which would make it easier for her to get brand new roles =) So I think it’s a wise decision.

Posted by Bonnie Radcliffe on March 09, 2011, 05:26 PM report to moderator

@Bless_The_Children Of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but your comment that “I wish Dan, Rupert, Matthew, and Tom would be as ambitious as her and not so focus on fame or relaxation” is rather narrow-minded. As someone with a 4-year degree and the wife of a university professor, let me say that deciding NOT to pursue a college degree is definitely NOT an indication of a “focus on fame” or “relaxation”. There are many roads to success and happiness in life. Not all of them lead through the door of a university. One can be happy, successful, well-educated and intellectually stimulated without having gone to university. This is not a one-size-fits-all world. Just food for thought.

Posted by ThinkPositive on March 09, 2011, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

much love and best of luck to Emma <3

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on March 11, 2011, 11:51 AM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

Smart smart girl.

Posted by potternotrotter on March 12, 2011, 05:52 AM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

how very responsible

Posted by potternotrotter on March 12, 2011, 05:52 AM report to moderator
Green_sea_turtle_thumb

Emma is very wise for her years, to make such a difficult yet sensible decision. I trueley hope, she’ll be able to return to her studies later, for I believe she really enjoyed her education. Education requires a lot of attention and dedication, which will be better for her when she has less demands on her, pulling her in too many directions.

Posted by Butterfly Boy on March 12, 2011, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

I really ,really hope she goes back and finishes after HP and everything .

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on March 12, 2011, 02:07 PM report to moderator

"Wangoballwime?"[br]"Sorry?" said Cho.[br]"D'you -- d'you want to go to the ball with me?" said Harry. Why did he have to go red now? [i]Why?[/i]