Emma Watson Putting University on Hold

Watson
Posted by: Stephanie_J
March 07, 2011, 05:06 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) posted a message on her official website today announcing that she will be taking a break from her studies at Brown University to focus on the final round of "Deathly Hallows" promotion and other projects.

As you know, I love Brown and I love studying pretty much more than anything but recently I've had so much to juggle that being a student AND fulfilling my other commitments has become a little impossible.
I've decided to take a bit of time off to completely finish my work on Harry Potter (the last one comes out this summer) and to focus on my other professional and acting projects. I will still be working towards my degree... it’s just going to take me a semester or two longer than I thought : )
Hope you are all well! Thank you for all your continuing support.
Watson recently launched the Spring/Summer 2011 collection with People Tree as well as another capsule collection with Alberta Ferretti. She is also due to begin filming her role as Sam in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" sometime this summer.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I love this girl, how level headed and responsible, what a role model!

Posted by KiwiMcI on March 07, 2011, 05:15 PM report to moderator

Quite a good decision in my opinion. She has so much opportunity right now and it is better to be able to focus on her studies when is taking coursework.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on March 07, 2011, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

She is a terrific role model! Whatever she decides I’m sure is the right choice.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 07, 2011, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Img_0020_thumb

I think when it comes to study – if you are serious about it, you kind of need to have it as priority number 1, and having all that other stuff to deal with would sort of compromise that. So yes – I agree: good decision.

Posted by ladydars on March 07, 2011, 06:21 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I understand the reasons for Emma’s decision and I look forward to seeing her in Perks. But a part of me is a little sad to hear this news. What I’ve always admired greatly about Emma is her commitment to her education. She is a very popular actress and will certainly be in great demand by the film industry. It may become very hard for her to resist putting her studies on the back burner again and again. Emma must be very excited about her post-HP career and justifiably so. I hope she also keeps her commitment to herself.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on March 07, 2011, 07:05 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Uh-oh. I hope she really does come back to finish her education, but it’s easy to see how she could get so swept up into the maelstrom of career demands that she can’t find her way back.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 07, 2011, 07:18 PM report to moderator

She’s so cool— I hope she does well with her studies!

Posted by ExpectoPatronum512 on March 07, 2011, 07:35 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-04-11_at_8

Does anyone know when the DH, Part II NEW YORK premiere will be?? need info please, lots of chocolate frogs in return

Posted by Gaudium on March 07, 2011, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

That is a tough decision, but I know eventually the pull back to her studies will be stronger than anything else.

I wish Dan, Rupert, Matthew, and Tom would be as ambitious as her and not so focus on fame or relaxation.

Posted by Bless_the_children on March 07, 2011, 09:33 PM report to moderator

Very true KB Prez big celebrity or not. Many people have put school on hold and some don’t go back even if they planned too. My second semester I sat next to a lady who went to college (at 18/19 )but then took off she wanted to work for a bit. She planned to only take 2 or 3 semester off and return. Well life got in the way she had her first child got married had other baby’s. Obviously she did finale come back but it was when she was in her early 40’s. Hopefully Emma will return I think its sets a good example. Lets be honest she wouldn’t have to college if she didn’t want to, she now has tons of connections because of Potter. Dan has always said school is not for him which I fully respect. Even with out Potter I dont get the impression that he’d have gone to College. Which is cool College is not for everyone.

Posted by dobby_rocks on March 07, 2011, 10:16 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

No matter what, ultimately it is Emma’s decision. Higher education is important, but so is being true to one’s self and knowing when one has bitten way too much of the apple.
I wish Emma luck with her endeavours..

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on March 08, 2011, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Harry-daniel-radcliffe-reference-124235_v96_thumb

@Bless_the_children-What are you talking about Dan,Rupert ,Matthew,and Tom being so focus on fame or relaxation?
If I recall Dan is on Broadway doing a show and has two films ahead;Matthew were on stage recently,Tom has been working on one or two films and Rupert is also attached to Eddie the Eagle.They all are working on something and Emma only will only start filming on May.So I don’t find her more ambitious than antone else.
Sériously"not focus on fame or relaxation"I wonder what made you said this.

Posted by HPlover222 on March 08, 2011, 03:25 AM report to moderator

I’m not surprised… The poor thing has been trying to bite off more than she can chew for too long. It’s a sensible decision, that way she can really devote herself to whatever she chooses to do.

Posted by Bonnie Radcliffe on March 08, 2011, 03:30 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_normal_thumb

I admired her decision on going to uni and I think it’s great that she still wanted to at least earn a degree. But now that she has a lot of things going on for both her school and career life, I just wish her the best. Let’s just hope her decisions are for the best. :)

Posted by ykaitot on March 08, 2011, 09:17 AM report to moderator
Pink_rose_thumb

Don’t balme her with the amount of stuff she’s got coming up, it will be a lot less stressfull for her just to take time out. At least she can pick up where she left off

Posted by suzyking on March 08, 2011, 10:55 AM report to moderator

"Harry, let go of him," he heard Fudge's voice say, and he felt fingers trying to pry him from Cedric's limp body, but Harry wouldn't let him go. Then Dumbledore's face, which was still blurred and misted, came closer.[br]"Harry, you can't help him now. I