"How to Succeed in Business..." Round Up: Appearances and Film Possibilities

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
March 05, 2011, 12:42 PM

News continues to pour in about "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying", the Broadway musical in which Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) stars as a lead. The musical is currently in previews at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre and opens on the 27th of March. Following our recent "How to Succeed..." roundup, here is a brand new roundup of the latest news about the musical.

The LA Times has a short blog post highlighting the brief hiatus Radcliffe will take from the musical on the 7th, 8th and 9th of July as he promotes "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2". "The producers of the Frank Loesser musical will not hold performances on July 7, 8 and 9", reports the newspaper. As we told you earlier this week, the World Premiere of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will be held in London on the 7th of July 2011. Find the LA Times blog post at this link.

Television Appearances

The actor will appear and perform on NBC's TODAY Show on Tuesday the 15th of March, but there is no news yet as to what number he will be performing from "How to Succeed..." and with whom. The TODAY Show airs between 7 and 11am.

Radcliffe will also appear on Live! With Regis and Kelly on the 17th of March. Thanks to our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com for the heads up!

No date for its release has been announced yet but news reporter Katie Couric did a segment for CBS Evening News with Radcliffe, and uploaded a photo to her website, which you can see at this link. Couric writes in a caption: Last week I interviewed Daniel Radcliffe, who said “Only epigrammatic people should be on Twitter”.

Interviews

Radcliffe spoke to The New York Times about his role in the musical. Find the full article here on The New York Times' website. Of his choice to do this particular musical, Radcliffe said:

I think to a lot of people it’s a slightly confusing choice (...) but I like that. (...) If you’re enthusiastic enough about stuff — even if you’re not good at it — your enthusiasm will get you to the point where people allow you to do it enough so that you become good at it

The newspaper also spoke to Gary Oldman (Sirius Black) who said of Radcliffe:

He realizes that once ‘Potter’ ’s finished, he is in the marketplace with all those actors who are going up for the same job (...) And just because he’s been Harry Potter for 10 years doesn’t mean a thing.

Director David Yates commented further:

Despite Mr. Radcliffe’s outsize stardom, “he’d be more comfortable being one of the boys,” whether helping a film crew clean up after a late-night shoot or deciding to star in a Broadway musical. “His way of dealing with it,” Mr. Yates said with a laugh, “is to try and pretend that he’s normal, and dance with everybody else.”

Radcliffe lastly spoke about the passing of any sadness about the end of the Potter films, "having shed his tears when the majority of his filming was completed last summer":

For me I’m done, I’m finished (...) People have to remember, we are not mourning the death of an actual person. There is not an appropriate grieving period which I have to observe.
Check out the full New York Times article here.

British newspaper The Daily Mail also spoke to Daniel Radcliffe in an interview in which Radcliffe mentions in passing talk between him and producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron about adapting the musical for a film.

Joking about a scene in the musical where he jumps up and down on a sofa, Radcliffe comments on the night's preview performance, "we had an intelligent audience in tonight (...) They got the Tom Cruise reference."

About his rehearsals, keeping his energy up and his big numbers,  Radcliffe comments:
Sometimes I was dancing for nine hours a day when I wasn’t filming (...) The thing was to keep practising and practising until you could do it without thinking about it. The aim was to be effortless — or to appear to seem effortless. I’m doing this for nine months, and I did Equus for five months here and that felt like a long time. I was exhausted after that, so I have to learn to keep my energy levels up with diet and exercise.
The rest of the cast work  tremendously hard, but I have just two big numbers — Grand Old Ivy and Brotherhood Of Man — and there’s a lot of dancing and singing. They’re exhilarating to do and I love that this is so  different from everything else I’ve done. I’m not repeating myself.
Read the rest of the article here on the Daily Mail website.

Find full details about the musical, getting tickets and more via the official "How to Succeed..." website, at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Huzzah! I can finally get back into Leaky! It’s nice that Mr. Radcliffe is stretching himself, but I will remain skeptical that he can actually sing and dance until I see a clip!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 06, 2011, 08:29 PM report to moderator

Well, thank God Leaky is back up and running!!!!! Both these interviews are great and he will do just fine as his drive and attention to detail will get him through and satisfy his own personal goals which he apparently sets pretty high. Break a leg Dan!!!!

Posted by hewy on March 07, 2011, 12:46 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I’m happy to report that a local radio host here in upstate New York just said on-air that he attended a preview of ‘How to Succeed’ this weekend and that it was excellent in spite of having a few glitches left to work out (which is what previews are for). He described Dan as ‘a great song-and-dance man,’ so let the buzz begin!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 07, 2011, 09:33 AM report to moderator

Am so happy he is getting to do what he has wanted to far a long time and
it is SO VERY enjoyable to read people who aren’t or haven’t really been fans being surprised at how good he is..his converting them.. and those who already loved him finding out the other talents he has but weren’t shown in HPbecause of the character he was portraying

Since I can’t see any of his stage shows.. am looking forward to the TODAY Show performance and The Woman in Black coming
hopefully later this year

BTW…the Katie Couric interview is this Sunday on CBS morning

Posted by Jeannine on March 07, 2011, 11:18 AM report to moderator
Harry-daniel-radcliffe-reference-124235_v96_thumb

I really can’t wait to see this.hoo-hoo!I’m sure he will do well.He is great.

Posted by HPlover222 on March 07, 2011, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I wish this show was touring! I saw an article about it in the newspaper today!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 07, 2011, 05:59 PM report to moderator
John_s_books_thumb

Wow i was beginning to think i’d never be able to come on here again!
Go Dannny BOIII!! hope it goes great!

Posted by MissStarKidSmiles on March 08, 2011, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Lily___james_potter_thumb

The picture of Daniel dancing (?), sooo funny ^^
Can’t wait to see it! Can’t though…I’m at Hogwarts, so…but I found a way to connect to the internet…that’s a plus ;}

Posted by Miss Weasley on March 08, 2011, 08:52 AM report to moderator
Pink_rose_thumb

that picture has really cheered me up, wish I could go along to watch the whole show

Posted by suzyking on March 08, 2011, 10:50 AM report to moderator

I like Dan as a “theaterman” He has improved filiming so much since Equus. His acting since HBP improved a great deal. I really enoyed the scenes, especially thios involved with Slughorn. He is great.

Posted by Eva Hedwig on March 09, 2011, 12:51 PM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

How I wish I had the chance to watch the show. :(

Posted by potternotrotter on March 12, 2011, 05:48 AM report to moderator

"What're you doin' here?" said Hagrid furiously. "Get outta my house!"[br]"My dear man, please believe me, I have no pleasure at all in being inside your -- er -- d'you call this a house?" said Lucius Malfoy, sneering as he looked around the small cabin.