"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Deleted Scene Released, Shows Harry and Aunt Petunia at Privet Drive

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
March 25, 2011, 01:14 PM

A new deleted scene set to be included among the bonus features of the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" BluRay DVD set has been released online and shows a very tender and touching scene between Harry (Dan Radcliffe) and Aunt Petunia (Fiona Shaw).  The clip, which runs approximately one minute long, takes place at the now empty Privet Drive home of the Dursleys before they must flee from Death Eaters.  To view the deleted scene, please click here.

Thanks to Portkey.it.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hufflepuff_thumb

Wow. This is such a different view of Aunt Petunia. It would have been nice to see it in the movie, if only just to have some sort of send of for the Dursleys apart from what was already shown.

Also, according to my computer this was posted 2 minutes in my future. :)

Posted by schwanna on March 25, 2011, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

Also, according to my computer this was posted 2 minutes in my future. :)

Posted by schwanna on March 25, 2011, 01:25 PM report to moderator

great, touching and really MISSED in the movie

Posted by Giant Fairy on March 25, 2011, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

OMG!!!!! WHY THE HELL DID THEY DELETE THAT!!!! SO POWERFUL! I WISH IT MADE IT IN! I hope they release an extended edition that includes this with the film.

Posted by eiVega on March 25, 2011, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_april_003_thumb

That is one of the BEST scenes ever!

Posted by AbbyWeasley on March 25, 2011, 01:53 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Always believed that the audience ability to sit through longer films that tell a fuller story is greater than what is considered acceptable by studio heads. For the heads it still comes down to $$ and they miss the essential point of telling the best story possible. I do hope an extended edition is released!

Posted by 2tal - SpiritMagic174 on March 25, 2011, 02:03 PM report to moderator
3106762989_1_7_lisbs0hy_thumb

i really missed the handshake of Harry and Dudley…

Posted by CDR on March 25, 2011, 02:10 PM report to moderator
Escudo20ravenclaw__1__thumb

Beautiful scene right there. It was only a couple of minutes tops, why did they have to get rid of it?!! argh, its sooo annoying!

Posted by cloethebelatrixlover on March 25, 2011, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I really wish they put this in the movie. I cried in the beginning of the movie when Hermione was leaving, but the leaving of Privet Drive seemed rushed. I think this would have made it more emotional and realistic. Also, the leaving of Privet Drive was honestly one of the saddest parts in DH for me, and the movie didn’t do it justice. I really would have liked this in there.

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on March 25, 2011, 02:32 PM report to moderator

They always seem to cut the Dursley’s scenes down or out completely in the movies.. they were absent from GoF and HBP all together… which makes me wonder if they were even in the script at all.

They get rid of scenes like this to get the movie down to a certain time limit because the studio heads know that if it runs too long then it could mean less potential show times per day, which means less revenue overall.

I’ve heard that most movies shoot double or more of footage that actually makes it in the final cut.

I just wish more would make it onto the DVD/Blu-ray and intregrate it into the movie and NOT make us buy a separate “Extended Edition”.

Posted by DumbledoresMan5769 on March 25, 2011, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

Why oh why do they consistently delete crucial scenes that lend themselves to the actual story and replace them with puffy surplus dross? Are they just trying to draw in adolescents who haven’t read the books? This is a FANTASTIC scene!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on March 25, 2011, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Gothic7_thumb

It would have been nice to have seen it in the movie…she loved her sister after all

Posted by 4mandyme on March 25, 2011, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Ron_and_hermione_fight_thumb

Hmm I feel like the odd one out, but that scene didn’t seem to really fit with how Aunt Petunia has always been portrayed. Lily’s death didn’t sadden her, nor did she ever hint that it did. The books don’t give us the impression that she was ever close to Lily or wanted to be associated with her after she got into Hogwarts. I agree that “The Dursleys Departing” sequence was really rushed in the movie but I don’t think that scene needed to be in there, especially as there are no clues from previous movies that she was aware of the Wizarding World (e.g. Azkaban and being neighbors with Snape).

Posted by Andrew on March 25, 2011, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

@aes824: Agree. The fact that the Dursleys have been edited from the other movies makes this scene such an abrupt change to how in the films Petunia has been portrayed as the aunt who couldn’t care less about Harry.
The books have worked towards this final goodbye between Harry and Petunia – the films have not.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on March 25, 2011, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Ron_and_hermione_fight_thumb

@chikitcorpuzvesterbaek: I’m glad you agree. I think even if the movies had provided more back story about the Dursleys and Aunt Petunia’s knowledge about certain aspects of the Wizarding World, that scene still wouldn’t fit. I just don’t recall her being remorseful or ever sad about her sister’s death. I mean, yeah, she admitted that she was her sister, but that’s about it. And, as I recall, in the book she hurriedly leaves the house when she realizes that she and Harry are alone. I don’t think she would have been that open. Uncle Vernon was the one doing all the talking in the book. Correct me if I’m wrong though – it’s been a while since I’ve read the whole series all the way through.

Posted by Andrew on March 25, 2011, 03:14 PM report to moderator

Considered by many the greatest wizard of modern times, Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner Nicholas Flam

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014