Read Twilight with Jo's Book Nook

LeakyLounge
Posted by: Rosi
February 08, 2011, 08:29 PM

For the month of February Jo's Book Nook, our non-Harry Potter book club, is reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Take part in the discussion at this link.

As for the Harry Potter Book Club, the present reading of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will stay open for February and a new one will start in March. Check it out at this link!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent LeakyLounge News

Hermione_thumb

People were saying I couldn’t say it was bad unless I read all 4, so I read them and they were even WORSE than I expected. Now twilight fans are saying it’s fine for me to openly hate them as I HAVE read them. I must say it’s VERY diplomatic of Harry Potter fans to read them at all. They are awful books. And when you put them next to truly great novels (like HP, Lord of the Rings, Jane Austen, etc.) they look even worse. You want vampires, read Dracula. Everything else is a ripoff of that. You want romance, you’ve got plenty of options. Twilight is the most incomprehensible thing. I mean think about other things people are obsessed with. Star Wars. The Beatles. Harry Potter. How does Twilight fit into this category? VAMPIRES SUCK.

Posted by i_am_hermione on February 09, 2011, 06:13 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

To all of you screaming “blasphemy” to the non-HP related book club on Leaky reading Twilight you should really keep in mind that while some of you personally may not like it, which is fine, the overwhelming majority of Twilight fans are actually also HP fans who discovered the books after DH came out and decided to give Twilight a try so it makes absolutely PERFECT sense for the book club to read Twilight. Mugglenet does other book reviews and book club reads and they too have done a Twilight reading group so what’s the big friggin deal?

Personally I think you’re all being pretty absurd and childish. Why else would you feel the need to comment on a post about the book club reading Twilight when you clearly already disliked it and had no intention of participating in the reading? You don’t like it? You don’t want to read it? Ok fine, then how about you just keep it moving and go discuss things that you DO like? People that constantly need to make negative comments get on my last nerve. Is Twilight a literary stroke of genius? NO! Is it an entertaining read for some of us? Absolutely. Granted I do feel the need to vent my irritations at regular intervals and fight the impulse to bang my head against the wall when I read them, but I still enjoy them. Comparing them to HP is like comparing a Twinkie to a Laduree Gold Macaroon. Of course Stephenie Meyer’s writing is nauseating when compared to Jo’s, but so are most other writers’s work these days. Nothing will ever come close to comparing to HP for any of us, but that doesn’t mean we should hate every other popular series just because we personally don’t understand the lure others feel for it. So if you’re don’t participate in Jo’s Book Nook and don’t have any interest in participating in reading this book then why bother commenting? Is talking about how much you dislike or don’t “get” Twilight going to change anything for you or anyone else? NO. Seriously, just get over yourselves and grow up.

Posted by bella vita on February 09, 2011, 06:48 PM report to moderator
Lala_thumb

Haha, well said, bella vita. There’s no reason Twilight shouldn’t be on an HP site, and some people might enjoy it. Twilight is like cotton candy, HP is like chocolate. Everyone likes chocolate better, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go to the circus and buy cotton candy. Even if it makes you sick and you puke all over the car, or get so annoyed that you just dump out the damn thing to get at that little wipe in the bottom because it’s Way. Too. Sticky.
Er, that was kind of lame.
Remember, guys, all the crazy hate we pour out against Twilight just adds to our rep as Crazy! Lives in a world where only HP exists! kind of people. We’re better than that, yes?
Just chill, people. No one’s focing you to read it, or look at it. I personally won’t be involved, because I really can’t stand Twilight as book and really have better things to do. But I might read some of the discussion, just because it’ll be interesting to see what everyone thinks about it.

Posted by lunawannabe on February 09, 2011, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Wow! I surprised! I don’t agree with all of this “HP vs. Twilight” enemy stuff, but I have read all of the Twilight books and they hold no comparison onceorever to HP! I do not like the writing style. But to each their own so if you like it, go ahead!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 09, 2011, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mwfpc2fgyd1qan42po1_250_thumb
20964 Points

WHy in the name of Merlin is Twilight on Leaky!?!?! This is just NOT right!

Posted by LunaLuver on February 09, 2011, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

Twilight? Get off our site.

Posted by Liderc on February 10, 2011, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

Don’t get me wrong, I am obsessed with Harry Potter and think HP trumps Twilight by a ton, but I still like Twilight. Seems silly that there is such a load of animosity between the fans. People have a right to like both, well done Leaky for recognising that.

Posted by eccentricalice on February 10, 2011, 03:53 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

ARE YOU JOKING??? Twigarbage on THE LEAKY CAULDRON GROSS. Please never mention it again

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on February 10, 2011, 09:31 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

Really?? Twilight?? After all of the HP fans have said how much the books are horrid?? I guess that some things are just a surprise.

Posted by JessSnape on February 10, 2011, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Gary_oldman_07-1-1_thumb

Well, to be fair, not “all of the HP fans” have said they don’t like the books, as a member of staff I’m quite clearly a big HP fan but I enjoy a wide range of books, both fiction and non-fiction, deep and meaningful (big fan of Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen and William Shakespeare) and lighter authors like Jane Green, Trisha Ashley, etc. It’s true, there are flaws in Twilight and some parts are cringingly cheesy but I find the stories enjoyable and I’m enjoying reading them again now. I’m very grateful that I live in a world where I can make up my own mind about what is a good read for me and that I’m not limited to books thought “worthy” by others. Let’s celebrate eclecticism, read whatever we enjoy and let others do the same, there’s room for everyone.

Posted by Dreamteam on February 10, 2011, 01:53 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Hey folks calm down, maybe there are plenty of people who can read both and enjoy them for different reasons, and some who don’t like Twilight at all, fair enough, but don’t be so rude about the book being discussed on the book nook, it is a free country, and do please remember that one of the major themes in Harry Potter is about tolerance, please don’t be so intolerant with your comments.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on February 10, 2011, 02:08 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Well said moglet! Tolerance seems to be the main theme that most of the other commenters decided to just ignore while reading HP.

@Dreamteam: I’d love to participate. I’ve actually just finished re-reading the Twilight books a week or so ago so I won’t be reading them with every one else, but I’ll participate in some of the discussions. I’m reading the Hunger Games trilogy for the first time and I’m currently on Catching A Fire which so far I like better than the first book, but part of my head is still stuck back in Forks. LOL. You just can’t help getting attached to the characters especially Alice! Anyway see you in the book nook soon!

Posted by bella vita on February 10, 2011, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Gary_oldman_07-1-1_thumb

bella vita, we’d love to see you in the Nook, I read the Hunger Games when we featured the series in the Nook, I hope you enjoy the series.

Posted by Dreamteam on February 10, 2011, 04:31 PM report to moderator
Emma_t_thumb

I’m all for it, I love Twilight :) But I’m not looking forward to the annoying comments that are already being made about it….. Calm down people, you don’t HAVE to do it…. and if you’ve never read it, why not give it a try? Then at least you’ll have something to go off of other than the movies (which I’ll agree, are not so great :P)

Posted by Delilah [ROAR] on February 10, 2011, 07:02 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"You haven't got the guts to take me on without that thing, have you?" Dudley snarled.[br]"Whereas you just need four mates behind you before you can beat up a ten-year-old. You know that boxing title you keep banging on about? How old was your opponent?