Reports: Unauthorized Film About Life of J. K. Rowling to Start Production in March

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
February 18, 2011, 10:18 AM

Reports have been making their way online regarding a "unauthorized made-for-TV biography" of the life of Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling beginning production next month.  The Times Colonist is reporting that the film, titled "Strange Magic," is set to be shot in Victoria, Canada "with the city used to re-create locations in Edinburgh, Portugal and London, including Leicester Square."  The Herald Scotland also has a report online, saying "A little-known actor has been cast to play Rowling’s first husband, Jorge Arantes, and the writer herself will be portrayed by Australian- born Poppy Montgomery, best known as FBI agent Samantha Spade in the US series Without A Trace."  Stay close to Leaky for updates as they come available.

Thanks to Doris, Siobhan, and those who mailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Tumblr_m0hexavzz21qb3do9o6_250_normal_thumb

Wow, I was actually wondering if they would make one of these films for her! Her life is so fascinating!
But of course, they have to get her permission first. It’s her life after all.
But I think this would be really interesting if she onboard!

Posted by Owana Potter on February 19, 2011, 10:56 PM report to moderator
Draco_malfoy_icon

That would be soooo cool if they did a movie about Jo, but I wish that Jo could be in the movie/tv serie herself…
But great!:)

Posted by jessyginny on February 20, 2011, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Lala_thumb

I really don’t like it. I loved the documentary they made that she was a part of, but that was so strong because it was actually her talking, giving us more information, going through places she’d been before. It was fabulous, because the strength and awesomeness of Jo isn’t that she can sign books and walk around, it’s her words. Always and forever. I don’t see how they’ll pull this off and give me any Jo love.
I’m also not a fan about this whole showing of her first marrige. It seems so disrespectful; Jo doesn’t like talking about it that much, it seems really presumptuous to try and present that. And will they show her and her dad’s relationship? That gets into some really sticky, personal stuff. They shouldn’t show that without her permission. It’s just disrespectful.

Posted by lunawannabe on February 20, 2011, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Lala_thumb

Posted by lunawannabe on February 20, 2011, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I don’t see the point of this. It’s her work that is extraordinary, not her life.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on February 21, 2011, 02:41 AM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

Hmm its always nice to learn more about JK Rowling but if its something that she doesnt approve of, it would be respectful to not go through with it, cause i doubt it would be in the interest of really loving JK and more for the money.. and thats not right… :\ lets see what happens…

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on February 21, 2011, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

The documentary that she made was perfect. But this movie? What an invasion of the privacy she has worked so hard to maintain for herself and her family. It says it’s a made for TV movie, so I’ll make sure I’m watching something else. I highly doubt that Jo will be pleased. But there is probably no way she can stop it.

Posted by Eeyore on February 22, 2011, 01:45 PM report to moderator

I would be so annoyed if someone took my life and made a movie of it without permission.Although Ms.Rowling has an insperational life story,she should be able to say no if she wanted to.

Posted by iwannabeanauror (R/HR♥) on February 25, 2011, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Buffy-last-gleaming-195x300_thumb

Ah! Kind of weird but still awesome! I live in Victoria and I could’ve gone down yesterday but I haven’t been on Leaky in so long I just found out today. I love the brick sidewalks and Munro’s books!

Posted by Meggie the Goose on March 09, 2011, 02:01 AM report to moderator

I wonder how this would turn out! But I bet people would watch it. Just because she’s a big name author, can’t wait! =]

Posted by . on April 27, 2011, 05:15 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I was at Hogwarts meself but I -- er -- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wand in half an' everything. But Dumbledore let me stay on as gamekeeper. Great man, Dumbledore."