Reports: Unauthorized Film About Life of J. K. Rowling to Start Production in March

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
February 18, 2011, 10:18 AM

Reports have been making their way online regarding a "unauthorized made-for-TV biography" of the life of Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling beginning production next month.  The Times Colonist is reporting that the film, titled "Strange Magic," is set to be shot in Victoria, Canada "with the city used to re-create locations in Edinburgh, Portugal and London, including Leicester Square."  The Herald Scotland also has a report online, saying "A little-known actor has been cast to play Rowling’s first husband, Jorge Arantes, and the writer herself will be portrayed by Australian- born Poppy Montgomery, best known as FBI agent Samantha Spade in the US series Without A Trace."  Stay close to Leaky for updates as they come available.

Thanks to Doris, Siobhan, and those who mailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Ravenclaw3_thumb

Oh my Rowling!!! That is going to be soooooo cool!!!

Posted by Ravenclaw4eva *WBM* on February 18, 2011, 04:34 PM report to moderator

hmm a short tv documentary is one thing, not so sure about this idea

Posted by DavidTheUnready on February 18, 2011, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_capture_thumb

I don’t really know if this is a good idea… I thought the approved documentary was enough. I doubt it will be very accurate.

Posted by sirius33 on February 18, 2011, 06:09 PM report to moderator

Why would they do this when they know she would not approve. Anyway inventing dialogue to fit into a movie (either tv or big screen) is just ridiculous when she has already done a beautiful documentary. Some people just get greedy.

Posted by hewy on February 18, 2011, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Ummmm good idea but hope they make it after Jo’s Approval

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on February 18, 2011, 06:54 PM report to moderator

This seems like a really lowlife thing to do. I can’t answer for what Jo thinks about it, of course, but knowing what I do know about her, I’m guessing she’s NOT happy about it. I didn’t even know they were allowed to make unauthorized films. Books are one thing, but… really? I don’t think it’s at all fair to interpret someone’s life for them and then thrust it up on the big screen for all to see without getting permission from the person themselves. I’d hate my life on a screen. And I can’t imagine they’ll do it very well either, since they’re filming in Canada. Ugh.

Posted by Libby on February 18, 2011, 07:17 PM report to moderator

Who knew Victoria British Columbia could be so versatile! I’m guessing the telefilm has a VERY tight budget.

Posted by German Adam on February 18, 2011, 09:32 PM report to moderator

This is going to be legendary!! and they’re shooting it in Canada!! yaaa Canadians represent here! :D

Posted by DDWatson on February 18, 2011, 09:51 PM report to moderator

Sounds like they’re looking to make a quick buck off JKR. In which regard, I might point out to them that JKR has the net worth of many third world countries — combined. Tick her off at your own peril.

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on February 18, 2011, 10:39 PM report to moderator

A red flag to me is that they will portray her first marriage, which she has never spoken of publicly. So who is their source for this portion of the screenplay?

Posted by Mimblewimble13 on February 19, 2011, 01:42 AM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

They should ask Ma’am Rowling first before doing so, it is very disturbing to have unauthorized stuff. I will never watch it if it’s unauthorized.

Posted by potternotrotter on February 19, 2011, 03:03 AM report to moderator

um no. I’d never go and see it. I mean first I need JKR’s approval second the dialogue and whole thing will be corny… No, just…no.

Posted by radishraven...WBM on February 19, 2011, 03:53 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

All righty, i could see this going epically terrible, and hollywood dr5amatising every single detail and producing something that would be the death of Jo…but it could go well but i would cast Meryl Streep as Jo :)!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 19, 2011, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

I don’t think I’d go see this. You can be sure that Jo is not happy about this, especially since they will dramatize her first marriage.

Posted by iamminerva on February 19, 2011, 04:30 PM report to moderator
Me_halloween_thumb

@Bryony

Unauthorized films are allowed, think “the social network”. But, because it is unauthorized it is going to be inaccurate or at worst sensationalized, even if it is a good movie, think “the social network”.

Posted by HugsForWizards on February 19, 2011, 08:54 PM report to moderator

"Sibyll Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favorite way of greeting a new class. If it were not for the fact that I never speak ill of my colleague