Reports: Unauthorized Film About Life of J. K. Rowling to Start Production in March

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
February 18, 2011, 10:18 AM

Reports have been making their way online regarding a "unauthorized made-for-TV biography" of the life of Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling beginning production next month.  The Times Colonist is reporting that the film, titled "Strange Magic," is set to be shot in Victoria, Canada "with the city used to re-create locations in Edinburgh, Portugal and London, including Leicester Square."  The Herald Scotland also has a report online, saying "A little-known actor has been cast to play Rowling’s first husband, Jorge Arantes, and the writer herself will be portrayed by Australian- born Poppy Montgomery, best known as FBI agent Samantha Spade in the US series Without A Trace."  Stay close to Leaky for updates as they come available.

Thanks to Doris, Siobhan, and those who mailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Snape_icons_collage_thumb

First! That is soo cool! :D Can’t wait to see it! ;)

Posted by jhlovesmusic {^HISS^} on February 18, 2011, 10:29 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

No way! That is amazing! I absolutely cannot wait to see it!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 18, 2011, 10:46 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Ewwww…somebody else playing JKR in a fictionalized (read: sensationalized) version of her life? This is going to be a disaster.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 18, 2011, 11:24 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

It should be interesting, but I still think they should ask Mrs. Rowling first, for it can be quite offensive.

After all, it’s her decision to whether make her life into a movie or not.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on February 18, 2011, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I mean, she’s not even dead yet. Usually they wait until somebody is history before they start rewriting their story to make it more palatable to the least common denominator of the TV-consuming public.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 18, 2011, 11:25 AM report to moderator

Wow I live in Canada so I think it’s really cool that they’re shooting there. Definitely looking forward to the movie!

Posted by nitaro48 on February 18, 2011, 12:13 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I hope they at least let her see it first before putting it out.

Posted by molly43 on February 18, 2011, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

mixed feelings about this – i hope they don’t ruin jo’s lifestory.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on February 18, 2011, 12:39 PM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

I read this before leaky had it, step up your game leaky, what’s going on??

Should be good but yeah they should ask jk Rowling first

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on February 18, 2011, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

I’m not sure about this… Does JK Rowling even know about the film?

Posted by lollifant on February 18, 2011, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I really don’t know what to think about this. I loved the documentary the JK Rowling made and I’m not sure how this film will come out. I really feel they should ask her before they make a film about her. I don’t think she will give them permission to do it because she’s very protective of her private life. That is one of things I respect her most for. I think she’s already told the story of her life in the most honest and best way possible.

Posted by hermione198k on February 18, 2011, 01:26 PM report to moderator

Not a fan.

Posted by pottermate on February 18, 2011, 02:06 PM report to moderator

Not a fan.

Posted by pottermate on February 18, 2011, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Sniget_thumb

Weird, I live in Victoria, Canada. There is a lot of European-style architecture here, but I didn’t think movie producers would actually use it as a mini-UK.

Anyway, I’m guessing they’ve already asked and been turned down by Rowling. It really does seem strange to make an unwanted fictionalized account of someone’s life, especially when they’re still so young.

Posted by Ellorgast on February 18, 2011, 02:09 PM report to moderator

Filmshaft.com writes, “Whether or not Rowling, and Hollywood will respond to this project with a big budget, big screen version is yet to be seen. We already know that Rowling has no love for anything “unofficial” relating to her or the Harry Potter series so it’d be reasonable to expect an endorsed project at some time in the near future.” Food for thought… ?

Posted by ogdensnut on February 18, 2011, 03:04 PM report to moderator

"You stand by all this garbage about You-Know-Who returning and you being the sole witness -- ?"[br]"I wasn't the sole witness," snarled Harry. "There were a dozen-odd Death Eaters there as well. Want their names?"[br]"I'd love them," breathed Rita... gaz