Harry Potter Cast and Author at BAFTA Film Awards; J.K. Rowling "Writing Hard" (Updated)

Film Awards
Posted by: Rosi
February 13, 2011, 02:04 PM

The BBC have a couple of new interviews up with the Harry Potter cast from the BAFTA Film Awards which are taking place in London's Royal Opera House this evening. You can find a short interview with Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) from the red carpet here and an interview with Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) talking about the success of "The King's Speech" here on the BBC website. As we told you over a week ago, the Harry Potter films have won this year's Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has been spotted on the red carpet.

Update: The BBC now have a highlights from the red carpet video up, with footage of Emma Watson being photographed by the press. You can find that video here on the BBC website.

Speaking to Lizo Mzimba from BBC News, J.K. Rowling described being at the BAFTA Film Awards to get a special BAFTA as an "incredible thrill" and "a particularly meaningful award because it was very important to me to keep it British and we had these amazing British actors". Watch a video of the Harry Potter author on the red carpet here on the BBC News website. "It is mindblowing, actually," said Rowling of the franchise's success, "it is extraordinary. I never got over the thrill of going down to Leavesden Studios and walking onto a set, physically walking into a space I'd imagined in my head."

Commenting on her current writing projects, Rowling said:

"I don't know when you'll be able to read it, I've got several things on the go at once. It's hard to know which will be the first that actually appears in print, but I'm writing hard."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" lost in both the Make Up & Hair and Production Design categories.

Other Potter-related wins:
  • "The King's Speech", which stars Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew), Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore) won a total of seven BAFTAs, including Best Film and Best Supporting Actress for Bonham Carter. "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" composer Alexander Desplat won for Best Original Music for the score in "The King's Speech".
  • "Alice in Wonderland" won the Make Up & Hair award. The film stars Bonham Carter as the red queen, Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) as the Blue Caterpillar, Timothy Spall as Bayard and narrator of the UK Harry Potter audiobooks Stephen Fry as the voice of the Cheshire Cat.
Stay close to Leaky for more news on tonight's ceremony.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Film Awards News

Bonnie was on the Red Carpet, how come she didn’t go up with the other to get the BAFTA?

Posted by DavidTheUnready on February 13, 2011, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

want to see the ceremony!

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on February 13, 2011, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Wow! Six Baftas is good news, and Helena Bonham Carter was superb in the King’s Speech. I loved the scene where her charater, Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mum) breezed past Wallace Simpson, delivering a very effective snub! I wonder what projects JKR is working on!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on February 13, 2011, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

GO Jo!!! cant wait to read one of those few things yet to be in print!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 13, 2011, 08:09 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’m excited Jo is writing hard!!!!

I was very happy to see Helena get an award for the “King’s Speech”. I just saw it. Great Movie.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on February 13, 2011, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Andrew_s_pics-_ligniers__france_005_thumb

Can’t believe how nervous they were. They deserve to win more awards and if they do, it may make them more relaxed in their acceptances. Well done and well deserved to all!

Posted by cherriekin on February 13, 2011, 10:46 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

Bonnie looked amazing in the dress. Why didnt she go to the stage? I dont know but I do hope that next time they actually ask her to the stage. Loved her dress and all. It looked great. Was not a fan of the ruffle that Emma had on her Valentino dress. Other than that I am sooo happy that The King’s Speech won many of the awards. I have always been a fan of Colin Firth and glad to know that like Jeff Bridges, his time had come!

Posted by sidnandragin on February 14, 2011, 12:27 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

Just the fact that she’s confirmed she’s working hard on new material is freaking exciting as hell! You could do several podcasts just on “What does the fandom think Jo is working on?”.

While I continue reading other books nothing else in the world has come to close to filling the gaping hole Jo/Harry has left!

Posted by akcorr on February 14, 2011, 01:18 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

I watched this last night and it was awesome to see HP get some recognition…plus I loved all the shots of JKR in the front row with all the HP crew!

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on February 14, 2011, 10:27 AM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

So nice to see Jo Rowling again, I’m glad to hear she’s writing so much and that she’s enjoying it. I’ve never been much of a fan of the films, because I loved the books too much and the characters are all different in my head. But I’ll eventually see the films, they are of course great with such a cast and crew!

Posted by lollifant on February 14, 2011, 10:51 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_capture_thumb

I hope J.K. Rowling’s writing the “Scottish Book” hard.

Posted by sirius33 on February 14, 2011, 11:56 AM report to moderator

Any day we have a JKR sighting is a good day. : ) I hope she’s able to get something new in print soon!

Posted by Mimblewimble13 on February 14, 2011, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Maura_s_epic_abstract_inverted_art

I wonder what she’s writing…?:)

Posted by mistypaws5 on February 14, 2011, 05:03 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That’s wonderful! This a huge milestone for the Harry Potter films.
That just goes to show what hardwork and dedication can do. If it weren’t for our lovely British (cough Emma cough Watson cough) actors then it wouldn’t have been possible.
Ever since the “King’s Speech” release I’ve been hearing nothing but postive feedback. Afterall, it did have Helena Bonham Carter…….

Emily_spectrespecs_1_thumb

Wow J.K. Rowling is writing again! I can’t wait to find out what it’s about!
Hopefully something to do with Harry Potter!
:D can’t wait!

Posted by Emy_Lovegood on February 16, 2011, 04:13 PM report to moderator

...he sank backward through the ragged veil hanging from the arch...[br]And Harry saw the look of mingled fear and surprise on his godfather's wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil, which flutter