Alan Rickman Talks Snape

Rickman
Posted by: Mel
December 30, 2011, 07:44 PM

In a new interview with the LA Times Hero Complex, Alan Rickman discusses what it was like to play Professor Severus Snape over a decade:

“It was a punctuation mark in my life every year because I would be doing other things but always come back to that and I was always aware of my place in the story even as others around me were not,” Rickman said. “Am I sad? The point about a great story is that it’s got a beginning, a middle and end. The ending of this story was quite popular and beautifully judged by Jo Rowling and David Yates, so it’s not a cause for sadness; it’s a cause for celebration that it was rounded off so well.”

Rickman also expresses his admiration for J. K. Rowling, for knowing how the story was going to end so many years in advance:

“It’s completely staggering that she had all of that in her head,” Rickman said. “Rumor has it that she put the ending in a bank vault when she was writing the beginning. So she held it all in her head, all seven books. It’s jaw-dropping, really. When we started she had only written three of the books so it was like trying to walk down two potential roads not at all knowing what the end would be but having some sense of what that man’s life was,” Rickman said. “I knew with Snape I was working as a double agent, as it turns out, and a very good one at that.”

Director David Yates and producer David Heyman also weigh in on Rickman's portrayal of Snape, and there is some discussion of Rickman's other acting roles further on in the article.

Many thanks to Hagiographer13 for sending this in!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

As wonderful as Alan Rickman was as Snape, it seems to me rather foolish to make the claim, ‘When (in) years to come people reflect on Rickman’s career, Snape will likely be considered the ace card and the eight “Potter” movies his winning hand.’ He is only 65, classically trained and has many roles yet to come, and I expect that some will be much more ‘heavyweight.’

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on December 30, 2011, 09:18 PM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

loved it! alan rickman is amazing!!

Posted by the mudblood princess:)/ginnylove101 {WBM}=:) on December 30, 2011, 10:44 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

Alan Rickman was, is and always will be the best of all the HP actors. He was so lucky to know what would happen to his character in the end, looking back you can see how that truely helped him to make Snape just perfect in ever way. And it is amazing how JKR was about to keep it all in her head like that from beginning to end! The best author of our day!

Posted by LunaLuver on December 31, 2011, 02:04 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

It’s absolutely staggering that JKR had it all in her head! Yes,no doubt Alan Rickman played a perfect Severus Snape,having known his character inside out. He’s truly an amazing actor!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on December 31, 2011, 02:14 AM report to moderator
Leia_thumb

As a huge Alan Rickman fan. I was thrilled to find this awesome article and pass it along. We have waited SO LONG for AR to speak out on Snape — and this is a marvelous interview!

Personally I find his portrayal of Snape as nuanced and fine a performance as I have seen in any film this year. It will be a shame that he won’t get the recognition he so richly deserves. Long before DH revealed the true man behind the Death Eater mask, Rickman was able to convey SOMETHING behind the silky voice and glower that said there was far more to Snape than met the eye. That is true acting.

Well done!

Posted by Hagiographer13 on December 31, 2011, 02:18 AM report to moderator
Lily___james_potter_thumb

Well all the comments above practically said it all!
Alan is a brilliant actor, nobody could fit into Severus’ shoes better than him, we love and thank you.
Staggering? Jaw-dropping? There are no words to describe Jo’s brilliance. Nothing she does can surprise me anymore, because she’s simply J.K. Rowling <3

Posted by Miss Weasley on December 31, 2011, 04:42 AM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

So cool! He is so humble and great! I mean, it’s so nice of him to praise JK like that! and even David Yates! amazing person indeed!

Posted by lovelle on December 31, 2011, 04:42 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

The interview from Alan Rickman is so cool I think by the LA Times!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on December 31, 2011, 06:48 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

@WeenyOwl I agree with you, it’s rather a surprising statement, given the quality of some of the work he’s already done prior to Harry Potter, and the fact that he’s done plenty of theatre too. He was already a well known actor after all, and, for instance, his portrayal of Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility was a wonderful performance, and I can think of others. His role as Snape was pivotal to the Harry Potter story, but there was not a lot of screen time in the course of the eight films.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on December 31, 2011, 06:55 AM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

I think his playing Snape endeared him to generations that would not otherwise appreciate all the other films he’s done before Harry Potter.

On another note, I think he enjoyed playing Snape – and knowing from the beginning how pivotal his role is to the story of Harry Potter.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on December 31, 2011, 07:13 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I couldn’t imagine anyone but him in the roll; he was perfect!

Posted by Mad But Happy on December 31, 2011, 08:36 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I love Alan Rickman. He not only played Snape really well but he understood the character too. Really amazing interview.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 31, 2011, 09:03 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

I couldn’t image any one other than Alan Rickman playing Snape- he was perfect for the role.

Posted by Grindylow_101 on December 31, 2011, 09:30 AM report to moderator
100_4747_thumb

Being a huge Alan Rickman fan, I have to say, that Alan Rickman is one of the greatest actors that was ever cast into the Harry Potter Movies. I think that his claim on “the whole point of a good story is that it has a beginning a middle and an end.” Is very true. That is why the ending of the whole movie and book series was so bittersweet. Because you can’t have another one. Alan Rickman was so right on that. I can’t believe that JO Rowling had the whole story in her head, that is the mark of an amazing writer. Alan Rickman had the part down pat. He is the one and only person to play Severus Snape

Posted by HarryLover on December 31, 2011, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe_being_perfect_thumb

All the comments above this one sum everything I was thinking up perfectly!
Alan is honestly THE BEST Snape we could have ever hoped for. Thank you Alan!
Also, really enjoyed the interview :)

Posted by Potterhead777 {ROAR!} on December 31, 2011, 11:07 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Harry concentrated on not tripping over his feet. Parvati seemed to be enjoying herself; she was beaming around at everybody, steering Harry so forcefully that he felt as though he were a show dog she was putting through its paces.