WB Considering Theatrical Re-release of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" in NYC and LA

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
December 01, 2011, 08:39 PM

According to Variety, Warner Bros. is considering re-releasing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" in theaters at select locations in New York and Los Angeles. The theatrical re-release would be part of WB's ongoing efforts for the film to receive Oscar nominations during the upcoming award season.

The Los Angeles Times spoke to WB president Jeff Robinov and worldwide marketing president Sue Kroll about their campaigning. Read highlights from their interview below:

Winning an Oscar isn't going to sell another ticket or DVD for Harry Potter. So why are you putting so much into this campaign?

JR: The films have been of a really high standard, and a lot of the academy attention has been on the technical side, which overlooks their quality. We believe if you look at what [director] David [Yates] has done with this last film, if you look at the critical reception and pure execution, and if you look at the scale and depth and entertainment value, it's worthy of academy recognition. It feels to me like if you look at what has been released this year, "Harry Potter" is deserving of consideration as one of the best films and directorial efforts.

Are you really campaigning for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2" or did you save your big academy push for this year in hopes of rewarding the series as a whole?

SK: The strategy is not to reward the history of the franchise but to recognize this very singular achievement on behalf of David Yates and all the people in the movie. We didn't decide to do it until after the film was released.

It got a 97% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an A+ CinemaScore from moviegoers. We devised this campaign very much on the basis of this specific film because we think it is worthy.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Raven_avatar_thumb

Thats very interesting…

Posted by Won_Two on December 01, 2011, 09:48 PM report to moderator

Hmm… I dunno… I can think of other films in the series which I think were more Oscar worthy than this one. There were some definite problems in the script for Part 2, which are quite apparent once the tears dry and the euphoria fades a bit.
I would see this much more as a nod the the series than to Part 2 on its own.

Posted by pottermate on December 01, 2011, 11:47 PM report to moderator

I would see this much more as a nod the the series than to Part 2 on its own.

Posted by pottermate on December 01, 2011, 11:48 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I hope they win but to be honest they deserve it. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars didn’t even have this much of fan base and attention.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 02, 2011, 05:29 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Thats very interesting…

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on December 02, 2011, 06:04 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I really don’t think that the last movie is the best of the lot, I think goblet of fire, philosophers stone, DH part 1, chamber of secrets, order of phoenix where beter in the order that I mentioned them. the ones that didn’t mention where really disappointing for me especially half-blood prince. I would however be the first to cheer if it gets an oscar because it is still HP and that’s what counts

Posted by mencia on December 02, 2011, 08:32 AM report to moderator

I would LOVE it if they put it back in the theaters, I would even go and watch it when I already have the DVD but I want them to be doing it for reasons such as the fans, not awards. :/

Posted by . on December 02, 2011, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Da_thumb

Huzzah!

Vote for me 3 times? It would really help:
Thanks! :)

Posted by harrypotter4258 on December 03, 2011, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

Seriously, HP is really deserving the Oscar’s even from the beginning! The movies are amazing! The details are more amazing and, seriously, HP is a real winner!

Posted by lovelle on December 03, 2011, 11:30 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

um, I am thinking NO! The movie was good but there is no way it was that good. It is no LOTR. The movie is more like Star Wars. A lot of awards for Special Effects and definitely for cinematography & art direction but let us not kid ourselves.

Posted by sidnandragin on December 04, 2011, 01:19 AM report to moderator

"But Harry set Dobby free, and he was over the moon about it!" said Hermione. "[i]And[/i] we heard he's asking for wages now!"[br]"Yeah, well, yeh get weirdos in every breed."