Interview with Author of 'Harry Potter Page to Screen'

Movies
Posted by: Stephanie_J
November 09, 2011, 11:24 AM

Bob Calder, the author of Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey, recently granted a Q&A to Sugarscape about his time on the Harry Potter set while he compiled information for his book.

Some of the things Calder talks about in the interview include a stunt gone wrong during the filming of "Deathly Hallows," and what it was like to be on set during the final day of filming.  Click here to read the entire interview.

How heavily involved was J.K. Rowling in the envisioning of the film?

JK always wanted to keep the two things separate – HER books, THEIR films. That said, she was involved from day one making sure they got it right, and continued to be an advisory presence throughout. But I feel that once she realised she had the right people in place, from producer David Heyman on down, she was confident enough to let them get on with it, knowing that they felt as passionately about her work as she did. In the early stages of each movie, she would provide insight for the filmmakers, especially when they were unsure of what was going to come in the next book. And to the young cast she was a figure they could turn to on occasion. Many of them fondly recalled the personal letters they unexpectedly received from her, telling them how they’d brought things to life just as she had originally imagined them. Treasured items for all.

Harry Potter Page to Screen is now on sale.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

This is such a wonderful book! My book store has one unwrapped :), I swear, if you dont get teary holding it, you arent a true Potterhead. ;) Tops of my Christmas list this is!!!

Posted by LunaLuver on November 09, 2011, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

A must have for any real Potterphile…

Posted by Won_Two on November 09, 2011, 12:35 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I was under the impression that when David Homes (I think that was his name), the stunt performer was very seriously injured was more than likely the most dangerous stunt on set, surely

Posted by KiwiMcI on November 09, 2011, 03:28 PM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

I received the book for my birthday and I love it! It is so rich in content and extraordinary in presentation – I will treasure it forever!!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on November 09, 2011, 03:49 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’m going to get it for Christmas!!! :D

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 09, 2011, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

I think the book is not yet released in our country… just seeing it here can already make me happy! I just hope I could buy this and the first one! It would really mean a lot to me! :)

Posted by lovelle on November 09, 2011, 04:30 PM report to moderator

The author seems to have good insight, therefore it makes me want to get this book even more! :)

Posted by . on November 09, 2011, 06:46 PM report to moderator

Who got Allan Rickman’s autograph today? MEEEEE!!!

Posted by oakfrog130 on November 10, 2011, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Thats cool!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on November 10, 2011, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-05-21_at_12

The rest of the interview was really good, I can’t wait to get my hands on this book!!!

Posted by emmawatsonfan13 on November 10, 2011, 08:06 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I think when David Holmes go injured it was not neccessarily the most dangerous stunt, but it did go wrong and I think he landed very awkwardly on his back, I’m surprised that this was not mentioned too. If I’m not mistaken he subsequently became one of the stunt advisors, which he will no doubt be very good at and hopefully he will continue to be highly employable.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on November 10, 2011, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

This book sound so good. I want to read it. I don’t know where to find one.

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on November 10, 2011, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Thanks for article. I liked reading from an outsiders perspective

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on November 10, 2011, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

Ive asked for this book for Christmas. Hope I get it!! If not ill buy it right away with Christmas money hehe :)

Posted by sboyer06 on November 12, 2011, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

Posted by sboyer06 on November 12, 2011, 08:16 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Keep going!" said Harry sharply, because Ginny showed signs of wanting to stop and watch the egg's progress back into a bird.[br]"You dawdled enough by that old arch!" she said crossly, but followed him past the bell jar to the only door behind it.