More on Fates of Hagrid and Lupin from J. K. Rowling "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" DVD Interview

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Edward
November 03, 2011, 02:34 PM

As a followup to today's earlier post, more information from author J. K. Rowling about the fates of characters from special material included on the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" DVD has been released care of MTV.  This new information comes from a report on EW which details more from a conversation the Harry Potter author had with actor Dan Radcliffe for the DVD.  Here, Ms. Rowling explains how she came to the decision of the fates of Hagrid and Lupin and how her thoughts on the characters were altered as she wrote the books.  Quoteage:

Rowling tells Radcliffe that the image of Hagrid cradling "dead" Harry — a bookend to the beginning of the series, when Hagrid brought infant Harry to the Dursleys – stuck with her the entire time she wrote the books and she never let it go. If she had, Rowling says Hagrid would have been a “natural” target for elimination. "That image kept him safe," she says.
Rowling also reveals that in her original "sketch" (her word) of the series climax, one of the most beloved characters in the Potter canon survived: Remus Lupin — tragic werewolf, former Defense Against The Dark Arts professor, and husband to the metamorphmagus and auror, Nymphadora Tonks... The seventh book tells us that before their deaths during the Battle of Hogwarts, Lupin and Tonks had a child. On the DVD, Rowling shares with Radcliffe that when she created Lupin’s character, she planned for him to survive the finale. While the author has said as much in other interviews, here, she elaborates, explaining that she changed her mind when she realized that her last Harry Potter story was really about war, and that “one of the most horrifying things about war is how it leaves children fatherless and motherless.” The most powerful way she could dramatize that idea, she says, was to kill a set of parents that were dear to readers. “I had no intention of killing [Lupin],” says Rowling. “But then it dawned on me he had to die."
The full interview is set to be included as part of the special features on the Blu-ray edition of the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," scheduled for release on November 11 in the US and December 2nd in the UK.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

I wished he(and Tonks) could have survived! They where(are) amazing characters and two of my favourites. But I think it was the right decision in the end.

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on November 03, 2011, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Lupin_thumb

It was a blow to me when Lupin was killed. He is hands down my favorite character in the series. I agree that it had to happen, but it was devastating when I first read it.

Posted by undesirable1 on November 03, 2011, 04:57 PM report to moderator
Lupin_thumb

Posted by undesirable1 on November 03, 2011, 04:57 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I so wish Lupin and Tonk would have survived!!! I was shattered when the were killed, poor little Teddy left without parents, just like Harry was. I understand why she did it, but I’ll never be happy about it.

Posted by LunaLuver on November 03, 2011, 05:21 PM report to moderator

Honestly, it sucks that Lupin got killed! But he have to get killed for the Resurrection Stone scene. It makes it complete. :) I’m really glad Hagrid didn’t get killed! I respect all of Jo’s choices, although I might not be happy with them, I still love them and her. When you actually think about it, all these deaths had to happen, it made the series what it is.

Posted by . on November 03, 2011, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

She killed off too many characters.

Posted by Girlraven1 on November 03, 2011, 06:43 PM report to moderator
Dh-all_s-fair-in-love-and-war_thumb

I think that what she says is absolutely correct. It is war, and she portrays it beautifully. In war people die. Children are left parent less. She showed that very well, and that alone is enough for us all to applaud her.

Posted by Hermione_Granger_Weasley on November 03, 2011, 07:03 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

If Hagrid dies, HP is will not be HP anymore.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on November 03, 2011, 08:36 PM report to moderator
23853_380239903160_612108160_3797238_254090_n_thumb

Her comments on Remus and Tonks are nothing new – they are my favourite characters (and Sirius) and although I’m devastated that they all died, the reasoning and the circularity it gives the series makes sense.

I’m still surprised the Hagrid was alive, everyone always thought he’d be the next to snuff it. Once again, dead or alive determined by circularity of the series; lucky for Hagrid.

Posted by TonksftMemories on November 03, 2011, 08:45 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Hated to see any of them die…

Posted by Won_Two on November 03, 2011, 11:33 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

I’m glad Hagrid and McGonagall lived; I was seriously worried about both of them. I think one of the best moments in the Epilogue is when Harry tells Albus to go have tea with Hagrid, and you see that Harry’s kids will have the joyful and peaceful school experience he wasn’t able to have becuase of Voldemort. I love the idea of a grandfatherly Hagrid, still crazy about all of his monsters. Hagrid was there at the very beginning, and he stuck with Harry until the very end.

Posted by Bless_the_children on November 04, 2011, 01:18 AM report to moderator
Max_wild_thumb

I’m still not over the deaths of Lupin and Tonks. I’m still really upset… It’s so sad/weird to see how close we were to them surviving. But I get what Jo’s talking about, I get why they “had” to die, and still… :(

Posted by Miss Fawcett on November 04, 2011, 02:58 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

:‘( I understand now why it happened but doesn’t mean I like it

Posted by mencia on November 04, 2011, 03:41 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

If they had to go, they had to go. And we all know Teddy turned out ok in the end. Harry was able to make sure that he was ok, unlike his own childhood, where he had nobody until the Hogwarts years.

Posted by Mad But Happy on November 04, 2011, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

If Hagrid died, Potter would bore me. Sorry, it doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I’m just saying without Hagrid, what’s the point? Sorry, don’t take it the wrong way.

Posted by Tanderule on November 04, 2011, 10:19 AM report to moderator

"Harry, just go down to the lake tomorrow, right, stick your head in, yell at the merpeople to give back whatever they've nicked, and see if they chuck it out. Best you can do, mate."