David Heyman Comments on Possible Theme Park Expansion

Movies
Posted by: Stephanie_J
November 18, 2011, 11:36 PM

In an exclusive interview with the Toronto Sun, Harry Potter producer David Heyman acknowledged that Universal Studios is planning an expansion to the popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park, though did not elaborate on any details.

Heyman confirmed with Sun Media that details are being planned, including new Potter-themed thrill rides. Heyman himself has been thrilled with the response. "This is the first time we've been here with this crowd," he said of "real fans" of the Harry Potter universe. "You realize it does live on and it lives on in so many ways."
Do note that any expansion would still be a few years off, but it's an exciting prospect! What are some Harry Potter-themed rides you'd like to see?

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

How exciting! :D I’ve always thought there should be more rides. :)

Posted by . on November 19, 2011, 02:08 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

They’ll probably do a Gringotts one and maybe a Floo Powder/Portkey ride :D I hope they do another sort of Forbidden Journey like ride because it looked good although I haven’t been yet!!!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 19, 2011, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Expansion is definitely needed. You shouldn’t be able to do every single thing there in a day, even with the long lines. Also, only kids are allowed to go on the Hippogriff ride – adults weigh too much.

In terms of new rides, I think that the wave of the future for theme parks ought to be attractions that are less passive, more interactive, so that they would appeal more to gamers. For instance, there could be a series of rooms with challenges like the obstacles to finding the Philosopher’s/Sorceror’s Stone, so that you actually have to solve some sort of puzzle (not exactly the same ones that are in the book) in order to go on to the next space. Ideally, the puzzles would vary, so that people wouldn’t find out all the spoilers before they went to WWoHP.

I’d like to see a little theatre that shows Potter Puppet Pals videos all day long, with the Cicieregas getting some income out of it. It would only be fair, considering that WB forced them to stop their PPP merchandising. A bandshell with different live wrock bands performing several times a day would be great, and strolling buskers singing Potter filks all over Hogsmeade or in the Hog’s Head.

Also, I’d like to see more live actors in character. The five minutes that you spend with a big crowd watching one person get to interact briefly with Ollivander, after a very long wait on line, is rather disappointing, I found.

In general, I’d like to see an emphasis on more interactivity and opportunities for roleplaying, so that you really feel like you’re in the Potterverse. That’s more important than more thrill rides.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on November 19, 2011, 03:18 PM report to moderator

I have a lot of ideas as well. I really hope that they do something that whole FAMILIES can enjoy. Not coasters, but something that even people with disibilities, or small children can do. Something tame. Not all Harry Potter fans love or can even go on roller coasters…it would be nice for those of us who can’t to still be able to do something other than shop.

Posted by songbird on November 19, 2011, 03:18 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe_12

I finally made it down there the end of last month. I loved it, but thought it was too small. I’m really happy they’re considering an expansion.

Posted by dab1158 on November 19, 2011, 04:58 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

OHMYGOD !! Happy dance YES PLEASE !!!

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on November 19, 2011, 06:55 PM report to moderator
Owl_bookstoppers_thumb

YAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYY!
WE WANT IT ALL! aaahhh! Harry Potter! YAAAAAAYYYY!
More Harry Potter-themed stuff! WICKED!

Posted by Hermione Weasley on November 19, 2011, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I think what they really need to add is The Ministry of Magic! So much could be done in all the different department! I’m getting excited just thinking about it. =)

Posted by LunaLuver on November 19, 2011, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

I’d love to see an interactive ride, kind of like the Men in Black ride. It could be like an Auror training ride, where you have “wands” on a car that you use to blast dark wizards and gain points. I also think a roller coaster type ride simulating a cart ride through Gringotts would be awesome. And for little kids, a carousel, but instead of horses, you would ride on magical creatures or broomsticks.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on November 19, 2011, 10:28 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

Somebody make us a Gringotts roller coaster ride!

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on November 20, 2011, 02:43 AM report to moderator
Evanna_____thumb

I am glad its all going well for them, but, i still think it should of been built in the UK where Harry Potter is originally based. Also, guys, where has your imagionation gone? Dont you want to keep the ideas and pictures of what you imagioned Hogwarts, butterbeer, hogsmead etc to look/taste like to still be continued in your head? Instead of the ‘real thing’ that they are doing here? Just something to think about!! <3

Posted by Luna-Rose on November 20, 2011, 06:36 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

How about a Department of Mysteries Maze? I rather miss the Funhouse concept that every amusement park used to have back in my youth, where you have to blunder around and find your way through at your own pace – rather than riding on something that zips you through and then you’re done.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on November 20, 2011, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Speaking of ‘zips,’ zipline (what mountaineers call a Tyrolean traverse) rides have become all the rage since they started putting them up in the cloud forest canopy in Costa Rica some years back. Now more and more ski areas in the US are installing them as off-season attractions. WWoHP could graft broomsticks onto the harness apparatus somehow, and visitors could ‘fly’ from platform to platform over a Quidditch pitch (with lots of safety nets, of course).

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on November 20, 2011, 11:33 AM report to moderator

I think one of the obvious ride ideas is Gringotts. They should have the entrance be just like the bank where you can exchange money for wizarding currency…like how you can get Disney dollars at Disney world.

Posted by julytwofive on November 20, 2011, 12:06 PM report to moderator

Oh, wow, now I’m boiling over with ideas…maybe a Quidditch World Cup experience…the Gladrags idea someone above had…a whomping willow ride…a flying car experience. I’m just so excited and I haven’t even been there yet!

Posted by julytwofive on November 20, 2011, 12:11 PM report to moderator

"Broaden you minds, my dears, and allow your eyes to see past the mundane!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014