10 Year Anniversary of "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" Movie Release

Movies
Posted by: Mel
November 15, 2011, 10:12 PM

On November 16th, 2001, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (or "Sorcerer's Stone" in the US) was released in the US and UK. Now, ten years later, we have just completed the film journey of the Harry Potter series with the DVD release of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

Take a look at the trailer for the "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" and consider what your thoughts were on the film when it first came out. And do take some time to celebrate the anniversary of the first film in the comments. It's certainly been a magical decade!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

So nice to hear from all the young people who’ve been deeply touched by the books and films. Me? I was 47 when the first film came out, but was already an avid fan of the books. I read the first three back-to-back after seeing an article in U.S. News & World Report about this new series that was turning a generation of “vidiots” into readers, and I decided to check it out. Together, the books and films have brought me, my wife, my children, and now, my grandchildren, countless magical moments. Thanks to J.K. Rowling and all involved in the films!

Posted by dfreebo on November 17, 2011, 09:14 AM report to moderator
Moonlit_fox_pic_2_thumb

I was 9 years old ten years ago. Back then I was really, really excited to see the first Harry Potter movie. Kept bugging my mom to get the tickets. So my whole family got tickets and we sat in the cinema and watched the film. I still have the tickets from each of the Harry Potter movies I went to see. Harry Potter 4ever!

Posted by MoonlitFox on November 17, 2011, 01:11 PM report to moderator

Philosopher’s Stone movie came in the midst of a Harry Potter drought…the long wait in between GoF and OotP! I was 14 in 2001 and I remember thinking that the film was still a bit of a consolation prize to keep us going until the next book. I was checking Leaky regularly on my slow South African internet connection, for any clues about OotP. But the films have taken on a life of their own and grown on me since then. The Harry Potter ‘experience’ has definitely enriched my life…it has trained me in web-design and allowed me to make friends from all over the world through our common love for Harry Potter. LeakyCon 2011 was a wonderful culmination of that-after all these years I had the opportunity to interact with others in the fandom face-to-face, while at grad school in the US. It has been a wonderful 10+ years :)

Posted by longliveRemus on November 17, 2011, 10:59 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I was 13 in 2001. The trailer used to be at the beginning of a ‘Friends’ VHS I had, except it was the teaser trailer not this one. And I watched it again and again mainly because a one shot glimpse of Tom Felton was in it. I was instantly in love, he kicked off puberty for me. I begged my parents to take me that weekend in the end they conceded on Thursday 22nd November 2001 to take me and my two older brothers to go see it.

After I saw it so so much more than Felton enchanted me. I really can’t explain what it was but I loved every single second. I couldn’t think of anything but Hogwarts, Harry, Ron and Hermione. That Christmas I asked for the Harry Potter books, needless to say I’ve never had a better Christmas present.

Thank you Jo!

Posted by KiwiMcI on November 18, 2011, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

10 years ago I was 14 going on to 15 and I hated! Harry Potter and anything to do with it. So sadly I didn’t get to experience the whole thing, but I’m glad to know Harry Potter. Better late then never.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on November 18, 2011, 09:42 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I never saw this one in theatres, and it’s the only one I never did. I remember before I ever saw the movie, one of my friends would always want to play Harry Potter at recess, and I was always Ron :P Of course I didn’t know who he was.
Sorcerer’s Stone came out when I was in first grade. My mom bought the VHS (yes!, VHS) on the first day it came out. I remember my brother (who was probably 3 or 4 at the time) saying “when we got the movie at the store there was a three-headed dog on the sign!” My mom explained that there was a picture of a three-headed dog on the display that had the movies on it.
^^Fluffy <3
I fell in love with the movie, I must say, as any 7-year-old would! It’s a great movie. It started my best friend’s obsession, which of course meant I liked Harry Potter a lot then, too. I’m not gonna go into everything I love about Harry Potter, though, because this is a comment, not a novel. :)
First of all, can I say, I always laugh at the “Wood fail” in the movie when he turns his head the wrong way at first to look at the snitch!
2. My friends and I (we are the trio- I’m Harry, one of them is Ron, and one Hermione) have all decided that at one of our friend’s wedding ("Hermione"’s wedding) “Ron” is going to run in and say “TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! Throught you outta know.” faint and then I am going to do Malfoy’s reaction because it is hilarious.
3. Me and my friends (the trio) always reenact scenes from SS. Such as the “Wake up Potter! We’re going to the zoo!” whole beginning scene; the scene at the zoo; and my personal favorite, “honestly, don’t you two read? The Sorcerer’s Stone is…” and then… “Immortal?” “It means you’ll never die!” “I know what it means!” “Shhh!” OMG it’s just wonderful :)
4. The Sorcerer’s Stone computer game. Can you say, my childhood? Honestly I remember playing this game so much. My brother was great at finding secret passages and getting the wizard cards. I loved the broom lesson, certain parts of the Charms one, Herbology, Snape’s potions on the way to the Sorcerer’s stone, HAGRID’S FIRESEEDS- which rule all, btw! xD I love how, in the Herbology challenge, when you get to the top of this tower thing, you can see the Quidditch field in such detail. I also love the randomness at the end with all the Bertie Bott’s beans exploding out on Snape and Fred and George’s girlish laughter! I love Crabbe and Goyle, “Po-aa” - they can’t say Potter right, and all of Malfoy’s random, rude comments. Me and my friend “Hermione” were honestly obsessed with that game. We have it down to a science; like we even have a record going of how fast we can beat it, which is in 2 hours and like 33 seconds or something. Hahahah :))

Of course, the SS book is wonderful as well. I won’t talk about it, though, cuz this is just about the movie. (Shhh! I didn’t talk about the computer game above!^^)

The thing I love most about this movie is that it IS Harry Potter. It is truly magical. It is almost exactly like the book, with word-for-word instances in certain parts of the movie. When I watch this movie, I am happy. All of the characters are perfect. I can tell you, I have no complaints about this movie. I even have complaints about DH2, and that was a very good movie. SS will always be my favorite movie. :)

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on November 19, 2011, 01:54 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

wow 10 years !! can’t believe it .. It almost become a part of the lives of all HP fans ..

Posted by vandy[FTC] on November 19, 2011, 06:52 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

i dont think i saw the first movie trailer. like that is the first time ever!!! i was introduced to harry potter when my mum bought me the deathly hallows book and have loved it ever since. i got the box set of the first 5 films and worked froom that. i collected the books and films in any way possible and even though the last film is out i think it will never be over. leaky cauldron is one example of the many fans that have gathered together across the world to celebrate harry potter. the magic will never end :’)

Posted by ForbiddenMarauder on November 19, 2011, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

’I’m a what?’ Ah Harry, so adorable! I can’t believe it’s only been 10 years! feels like a life time…I recently had a marathon. Watched the first 7 movies all in a row, it took 3 days! Man. What a great series. JKR I could never thank you enough, you have given me the most magical and wonderful childhood anyone could ever have.

Posted by Jacket on November 19, 2011, 11:03 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

wow the trailer looks great
BUT u have 2 accept that there acting wasnt as near as good as it is 2day
and sorcerer’s stone – where did that one come from??? keep 2 philosopher’s stone – that’s what it was printed as
the 1st view of hogwarts however, was AMAZIN i loved it loads!!!
AND 10 years on that’s some achievement
im glad they kept the same actors/actresses especially emma and daniel!!!

soz 4 the long message
Lily luna!!!

Posted by lilyluna257 on November 21, 2011, 10:23 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

though looking at a previous message, it doesnt seem tooooo long

Posted by lilyluna257 on November 21, 2011, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

though looking at a previous message, it doesnt seem tooooo long

Posted by lilyluna257 on November 21, 2011, 10:27 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

and that beautiful theme tune

Posted by lilyluna257 on November 21, 2011, 10:28 AM report to moderator

omg I sooooo have to see that!!! it looks awesome

Posted by oakfrog130 on November 22, 2011, 11:34 PM report to moderator

omg I sooooo have to see that!!! it looks awesome

Posted by oakfrog130 on November 22, 2011, 11:35 PM report to moderator

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to [i]buy[/i] their way in," said Hermione sharply. "[i]They[/i] got in on pure talent."[br]The smug look on Malfoy's face flickered.