10 Year Anniversary of "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" Movie Release

Movies
Posted by: Mel
November 15, 2011, 10:12 PM

On November 16th, 2001, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (or "Sorcerer's Stone" in the US) was released in the US and UK. Now, ten years later, we have just completed the film journey of the Harry Potter series with the DVD release of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

Take a look at the trailer for the "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" and consider what your thoughts were on the film when it first came out. And do take some time to celebrate the anniversary of the first film in the comments. It's certainly been a magical decade!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Hpphotoshop_thumb

I saw the film when I was 5 and now I’m 15 and nearly 16 and I knew and liked the books before I saw the film so its been a huge part of my life. When I saw it I started crying at the troll scene and ended leaving at the chess scene because I was too scared but I saw it again later on and I had nightmares for months about Voldemort :D Oddly enough I was absolutely obsessed with the films even back then. I remember buying the chocolate frogs and collecting the cards. I’d actually bought one for my first time seeing the film and I hadn’t looked at the card until I got home… it was a holographic picture of the troll scene and I literally chucked the card and ran into my room and hid. So yeah I’ve had great memories from Harry Potter and thats just a very small amount of them :) <3<3

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 16, 2011, 01:39 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

Crying. So many emotions flooding back all at once. I’ve only been to two Potter movie premieres. Deathly Hallows part 2, and Sorcerer’s Stone. God.

Posted by Elwood J. Blues on November 16, 2011, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Nargle_thumb

I’m sad to addmit, but I’ve only been a HP fan since about 2 summers ago. My mum had almost all the books, and I had nothing else to read, so I pulled out the first book and…well, you can guess what happened. ;-D

Posted by Blame The Nargles on November 16, 2011, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

I came to late to the Potter party. My oldest son was too little when the books were first published, so I didn’t understand what all the buzz was about. Fast forward to 2004 or 2005 and I bought him the first three books. I picked up Sorceror’s Stone and was hooked right away. Harry Potter has become a huge part of my life. Thank you, JKR, for re-introducing magic to an everyday wife and mom’s life.

Posted by AvanelleWood on November 16, 2011, 03:48 PM report to moderator
20121227075238822000_thumb

10 years is quite the long time. Like a Wedding Anniversary, only…Harry Potter.

Posted by MossHorpione on November 16, 2011, 04:08 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

wow i cant beleive it was 10 years ago i was in 8th grade n going to see harry potter for the first time ever…. such good memories :)

Posted by sboyer06 on November 16, 2011, 07:33 PM report to moderator
Dh-all_s-fair-in-love-and-war_thumb

I can’t believe it has been that long. Wow. I’m in tears.

Posted by Hermione_Granger_Weasley on November 16, 2011, 08:03 PM report to moderator

Oh my gosh, how could I forget?! I was fairly young at the time so I can’t explain my first magical moment when I saw Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone in the theaters since I haven’t but I must say, it’s been a great ride! I think we can keep the spark alive, we Potter fans, through fanfiction, through rereading and rewatching, and especially just by thinking about it. :)

Posted by . on November 16, 2011, 08:28 PM report to moderator
Owl_bookstoppers_thumb

Oh my goodness.
10 years ago, I was 3.
I had no idea what Harry Potter was, what it was about, who it was about, nothing.
I had no idea what it would do to my life. Now, 10 years later… and I’m a completely different person because of Harry Potter. THe movies just brought the magic to life, especially the first one. The first movie is my favorurite, as it just introduces and just, I don’t know how to explain it, it just was perfect.

I’m so grateful for Harry Potter, and it’s not just a book and movie series. It’s a way of life. Not some gang or obsession. It’s like, how to be the awesomest Muggle anyone can possible be.

So thank you Harry Potter! Thanks Dan, Emma, Rupert, Ms. Smith, Mr.Coltrane, Mr.Harris (RIP), David Heyman, Chris Columbus, everyone.

And thank you Jo, for making it all in the first place.

Posted by Hermione Weasley on November 16, 2011, 09:16 PM report to moderator
269071_243257649019738_146705262008311_1068786_4799908_n_thumb

I was three when the first book came out, six when the first movie came out. I enjoyed the movies when I was younger as they began to appear on T.V. But I never read the books because at the time I considered them to be “Boy Books” It was not, however until the summer going into sixth grade that I began to become a real fan. That was the summer that the final book was coming out. When all of the hype over the last one got even like me non-fans excited. my neighbor gave me a copy of the Deathly Hallows and I knew then and there that I had to start reading. I saw the Order of the Pheonix that summer ( the first HP movie I had seen in theatres) and began to read the books. They were a bit boring at first, but I promised myself I would not give up on this series like I had given up on many other books in the past. It turned out to be an addiction after I finished the first book. It was like I could not put those books down and I was always trying to cram time in random places to read (which was not normal for me because I am not an typically an avid reader.) As I finished the series I found more and more books which interested me. The Potter series really did help me learn to enjoy reading.

Posted by sparkle9 on November 16, 2011, 10:16 PM report to moderator
100_4747_thumb

harry potter is my life now, and i’m grateful for the full ten years,
Its been an incredible ten years, and I wish that the years could keep going.
But I know that they will. with myleaky and all that.
Thanks

Posted by HarryLover on November 16, 2011, 10:26 PM report to moderator
100_4747_thumb

I’m also sorry to say that I have only been a fan for the last couple of years but I will be a fan forever

Posted by HarryLover on November 16, 2011, 10:28 PM report to moderator

I was only 7 when the first film was released, and I wasn’t interested in Harry Potter at all until after I watched it when it came out on DVD. I’ve been a fan ever since. I absolutely fell in love with the entire Potter world, and this love only increased once I started reading the books. I recall completing “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” in three weeks and longing desperately for more. Each time a new book or movie was released my enjoyment in the series only deepened. It is very hard to believe that it has been ten years since then, but I think the legacy will continue for many more years to come. I am very greatful to J.K. Rowling for creating such a magical world for us all to enjoy, and feel very privileged to have been a part of something as special as Harry Potter.

Posted by MS on November 16, 2011, 11:37 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

oh wow, this brings back so many memories! i was so pumped to see this…way back in the day lol. first time i saw this was with my daycare, second to last time i saw part 2, i saw it at my college. D:

Posted by hermy007 on November 17, 2011, 12:28 AM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Ten years already — good grief. Harry forever!

Posted by Girlraven1 on November 17, 2011, 05:42 AM report to moderator

"Myrtle, there aren't [i]merpeople[/i] in there, are there?"[br]"Oooh, very good," she said... "it took Diggory much longer than that! And that was with [i]her[/i] awake too" -- Myrtle jerked her head toward the mermaid with an expression of great dislike