10 Year Anniversary of "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" Movie Release

Movies
Posted by: Mel
November 15, 2011, 10:12 PM

On November 16th, 2001, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (or "Sorcerer's Stone" in the US) was released in the US and UK. Now, ten years later, we have just completed the film journey of the Harry Potter series with the DVD release of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

Take a look at the trailer for the "Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone" and consider what your thoughts were on the film when it first came out. And do take some time to celebrate the anniversary of the first film in the comments. It's certainly been a magical decade!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

This was so touching to watch — not just because of the memories, but because of the foreshadowing there — seeing Harry gawking at the Snitch (thinking of the Forest, Again….) and seeing Ron talking about Hermione, and thinking about their futures… so very much happening. Add in that we were recently in England and saw some of the locations in the trailer (Lacock, Oxford) — well, like so much of Harry Potter, this is just a special place and time that will always be a part of me. Thanks, JK. And thanks for the reminder, Leaky!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on November 16, 2011, 08:35 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I love Harry Potter, I am the only one in my family who does, my little brother likes the movies but is not that interested in the books of which he ony read two. the rest of my family doesn’t understand my love for the magical world of Harry Potter at my age, I am 24. to be honest in Namibia, there is not too much hype about Harry Potter, only those who chose to be interested in it are. I read the Philosopher’s Stone when I was 13 and fell in love with the world of HP, since them I have been an great follower of the series, I have read all the books and seen all the movies, I only saw the last 5 in cinema. I love the books more but I think they have adapted the films well, I was only disppointed with the last movie and the third. the fourth movie is my favourite, it was also my favourite book until deathly hallows. I have only joined leaky this year but feel very much at home with people who love HP as much as i do, and for that reason leaky has become like a second family for me. I will always be greatful to Jo for Harry and his world, she has taught me so much about love, friendship, tolerance, forgiveness, above all the love can overcome so much. Thank you for Harry really :)

Posted by mencia on November 16, 2011, 08:53 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

apologies, I didn’t read through before I posted and have so many errors but I think you can still understand what I was saying

Posted by mencia on November 16, 2011, 08:56 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Knowing the movie came out 10 years ago makes me feel.. well… old. lol But I grew up with the books and movies, and I wouldn’t change that for anything. :)

Posted by Mad But Happy on November 16, 2011, 09:02 AM report to moderator

I remember being so excited about the movie because I was going to get to wear my Hermione costume my mom had made me for Halloween. I believe I saw it with my best guy friend at the time and he went as Harry. Can’t believe it’s been ten years already.

Posted by Jrm2492 on November 16, 2011, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

i have to thank my mum and dad for introducing me to harry potter. they bought me the deathly hallows book for a challenge and i have loved it ever since. i dont know where i would be without harry and friends. again thanks to my mum and dad

Posted by ForbiddenMarauder on November 16, 2011, 09:33 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lokzuoj7sm1qayjpzo1_500_thumb_thumb

oh my God ! Harry Potter is the best always !

Posted by Joannedern on November 16, 2011, 10:01 AM report to moderator

Well I didn’t see the first movie ten years, I saw it last weekend at Universal Studios Citywalk. I’ll never forget all the magical moments I experienced last weekend, but also I won’t forget what a phenomenon the series was when it first came out and how it caught on like wildfire – the news coverage, the WB stores opening with merchandise, all of my friends gabbing about the series. It’s certainly been a great decade!

Posted by bellahawthorne on November 16, 2011, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Oh,wow…it’s been 10 years,yet it seems like just yesterday! Can never thank you enough,Jo, you have given us the most magical childhood we could ever have! :’)

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on November 16, 2011, 10:40 AM report to moderator

I remember it so clearly. My mum had told me I wouldn’t get to see it in cinemas because I hadn’t done my homework a few weeks before, and I was so upset, but I didn’t want her to know how much it hurt (though she definitely knew how important it was). On this day ten years ago, I came home from school and kept a straight face when she told me to go to my room and do my homework, then when I turned around, 5 of my friends jumped out! She had organized a surprise party, and took us all to see it. It still brings tears to my eyes when I remember it. 16 November 2001 is one of the greatest memories I have. Thank you Jo for this world we have all lived in.

Posted by pottermate on November 16, 2011, 11:25 AM report to moderator

Posted by pottermate on November 16, 2011, 11:25 AM report to moderator

I remember how badly I wanted to see the first movie when it came out but instead my mom bought us tickets for the first showing the day after. I was too scared to sleep the night before because I was afraid I’d missed it. It was so magical seeing it for the first time. I remember absolutely loving it! I was 12 and having a pretty rough year, being bullied by a group of girls and trying to decide whether or not I wanted to stay at my awful school, and this just made all of that go away. I repeat, it was magical.

Posted by Huffletough on November 16, 2011, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Hermione3_thumb

YAYYY! :) I watched this movie when I was six and I have been hooked since then!

Posted by hpemmapie on November 16, 2011, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’m one of the rare people who actually read the books ( 1-3 ) before the first movie came out. My older sister gave me SS about a year before the movie came out( I was 11 ), I read it, I loved it, and there was no going back. Since, I’ve gotten each book the days its came out, and seen all the movies the day they’ve come out. DH Part 1 & 2 at midnight. Some of my best childhood memories are tied in with Harry Potter. So I would like to say, Thank you. Thank you JKR and WB for making the past tens year as magical as they could be. We will forever be in you debt. :,)

Posted by LunaLuver on November 16, 2011, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

I cant believe its been ten years xD
My brother (who is now 9) would hum Hedwigs theme when he was only 18 months old and once we got this movie our whole family became fans of Harry potter. Its always been in my life, and I’m sad to know there will be no more movies or books, but I know it will be in my life forever :)
THANK YOU JKR AND ALL THE STARS OF THE MOVIES !! <3

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on November 16, 2011, 01:31 PM report to moderator

A breeze ruffled the neat hedges of Privet Drive, which lay silent and tidy under the inky sky, the very last place you would expect astonishing things to happen.