Video: J. K. Rowling Discusses the Possibility of Killing Ron While Writing the Harry Potter Books

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 28, 2011, 09:41 PM

Video has made its way online from the special features on the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Blu-ray DVD showing a moment from the Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and J.K. Rowling sit down interview where the author talks about the possibility of killing the character of Ron while writing the series.  Ms. Rowling explains that during a not so "very happy place" mid way through writing the series, she "started thinking [she] might punish one of them off."  In explaining her choice of character, she adds:

"In my absolute heart of hearts of hearts – although I did seriously consider Ron. Anyway, I can tell you it’s a real relief to talk about it."
The full fifty-seven second video clip from the interview can be watched right here:

Thanks to Hypable for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Nargle_thumb

I’m super glad she didn’t kill Ron! But, throughout the last books, I thought if one of the main characters died, it would be Hermione. I mean, it’s always like ’Let’s ask Hermione, she knows everything!’ so it would be a real shock to Harry and Ron if she went, and they’d have to make their own way without relying on her. It really would have changed the story.

Posted by Blame The Nargles on October 29, 2011, 09:32 AM report to moderator
Da_thumb

good thing she didn’t. xD

Posted by harrypotter4258 on October 29, 2011, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

I was so scared for the life of someone from the trio, and I’m glad they made it through. I must agree, killing Ron would definitely change the story radically and the book would have a bigger and stronger impact. In the end, whatever and however she writes, it’s always the perfect way. That’s her beauty.

Posted by Matea on October 29, 2011, 09:45 AM report to moderator

I’m pretty sure she is saying “polish one of them off”, not “punish”.

Posted by dragonfrog on October 29, 2011, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Kill RON???? Geeze, I’m still not over Hedwig or Dobby!!! O.O

Posted by Won_Two on October 29, 2011, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

It would’ve made for a made for a much more beautiful story if he had gotten killed after The Kiss, but I am so glad she decided otherwise.

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on October 29, 2011, 12:41 PM report to moderator

Sounds to me like she was thinking of killing him far earlier than DH (mid-series, it says). Seeing how Harry and Hermione generally interact when Ron is not around, I’m sure glad she changed her mind! What would Harry have done without his best mate? And Hermione?
It’s too sad to think about.

Posted by reader on October 29, 2011, 12:56 PM report to moderator

No! She can never kill Ron! I’m just extremely glad that she didn’t kill ANYONE of the trio, for that matter! They’re the Golden Trio — always will be. :’)

Posted by . on October 29, 2011, 03:04 PM report to moderator

Oh, and I should say, I really ADORE the relationship between Jo and Daniel! It’s adorable, and I’m glad it’s this strong after a decade! <33

Posted by . on October 29, 2011, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_thumb

I wonder what the books would have been like if Ron woulkd have died…….. not that I wanted hime to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by HermioneGranger2 on October 29, 2011, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Agreed, dragonfrog: She’s definitely saying ‘polish one of them off.’ ‘Punish one off’ makes no sense.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 29, 2011, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’m not going to lie thats a little shock tbh :O

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on October 29, 2011, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mwfpc2fgyd1qan42po1_250_thumb
20964 Points

If she had killed Ron then Hermione could ended up with Draco! Tempting! For a while I was affraid Hermione would die in DH, so happy she didnt. =D

Posted by LunaLuver on October 29, 2011, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Why on earth would Hermione even look at Draco? He’s treated her with nothing but contempt throughout the stories.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on October 30, 2011, 03:51 AM report to moderator
N722916425_1748703_3612_thumb

Not tempting at all. Hermione with Draco would … nah..

Posted by Magixian -ROAR!- on October 30, 2011, 11:11 AM report to moderator

"Clear your mind, Potter," said Snape's cold voice. "Let go of all emotion..."[br]But Harry's anger at Snape continued to pound through his veins like venom. Let go of his anger? He could as easily detach his legs...

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014