Pottermore Beta Testing Period Extended

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
October 28, 2011, 12:05 PM

The Pottermore Insider Blog has been updated to announce that the beta test period for J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter online experience will be extended in order to further improve the functionality of the site.  This decision, the blog post notes, follows the gathering of information from the original beta period and will mean that Pottermore will not be open to new users " in the immediate future."  Quote:

Since we launched Pottermore, our one million Beta users have given us lots of amazing feedback, and we’ve been collecting their thoughts and comments so that we can make Pottermore the best experience it can be before it opens to everyone.
After looking closely at all the information that we've gathered, we have decided to further extend the Beta period so we can improve Pottermore before giving more people access. This means the site will not be opening to new users in the immediate future, but please know that we will open registration as soon as we can.
The blog post continues, saying that the site will be offline for two days starting Wednesday, November 2nd, in order to "make a few technical changes behind-the-scenes."  As part of this beta extension, Pottermore has set up this new page so users may track updates and get answers to general FAQs about the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Platform_9_34_thumb

Boooooooooo. I wasn’t lucky enough to get in on the Beta test and I’ve been patiently waiting but I’m getting a bit tired of all the tweets and podcast comments about things that I can’t get too.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on October 28, 2011, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Platform_9_34_thumb

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on October 28, 2011, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

beallgood01, I can understand your frustration at having to wait. But as someone who is a beta user I can tell you that it will be worth it. Although it has improved lately, Pottermore is still rather “glitchy”. You’ll enjoy it so much more once they work out all the bugs.

Posted by AvanelleWood on October 28, 2011, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I agree with AvanelleWood, its better they work out all the bugs now before even more people access the site. Thats’ll just cause Pottermore to crash more and the new people wont be happy with it.

Posted by LunaLuver on October 28, 2011, 01:44 PM report to moderator
Blue_sun_med_thumb

While I agree you want them to work out all the bugs before releasing it to milliions and millions of people and you want their servers to be able to handle that type of traffic, I too am really tired of getting overly excited thinking I might FINALLY get in, only to be told – not yet no idea when. I’m a huge fan of the Potter universe and all it entails, but I’m starting to fall into the “i don’t care anymore” side because I’m being told I have to wait another month or “indefinite” period. It’s just frustrating because I want to see the excitement too. I want to share in the fun everyone who is in is enjoying. Bah. Hopefully when it does finally roll out it’ll be awesome. I’m now thinking I won’t be allowed in before 2013 though. Bummer.

Posted by gizzmogeek on October 28, 2011, 02:20 PM report to moderator

They need to stop telling us it will be at one point then changing it agian. I really want to know, legitimately, what my house is before I go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter this December. Also, I’m pretty sure most of us would rather be able to get on than it be perfect right away…it will get better and perfected with time, it doesn’t need to be so when we finally, if they ever decide to let us, get on.

Posted by SamuraiNinjaKoriin on October 28, 2011, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

I’m sorry for those frustrated being told they have to wait. Please don’t lose heart – think of it as similar to when they changed the release date of Half-Blood Prince. Or when you come here and you get the “doing some dusting” message. When it’s done it will be great and hopefully smooth.

Posted by Xyra44 on October 28, 2011, 03:52 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

I can’t see them delaying things too long. People do lose interest over time so there is a balance between that and delaying to improve things. I think we will see some changes later in November, (the few days outage from November 2nd is mostly for back end changes), then a few weeks for testing, with a full opening sometime later in December.

Posted by roonwit on October 28, 2011, 03:58 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

SamuraiNinjaKoriin: I would be surprised if they set any more dates for the full opening of the site, having failed to make previous dates. Hopefully we will still get updates but I imagine it will be about smaller things, eg. “we are tweaking potions”.

Posted by roonwit on October 28, 2011, 04:16 PM report to moderator

Have patience if you’re not part of the beta group. Remember that no one has ever done something like this before. Naturally lots of things will come up that were not thought of during the planning for the site. (Does that sentence sound like something Dumbledore would say?) I suspect that Pottermore will open to all before the year ends.

Posted by sampsongregory on October 28, 2011, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Th_names_thumb

In my opinion, coming from a beta tester that was let in really really late into the game, those who haven’t been granted access yet aren’t missing out on all that much. To be completely honest, the beta experience thus far has included going through all of the chapters in book 1 to find that you cannot progress any farther and then being told that all you can do until beta testing is over is brew potions (which really is just as hard as it seems in the books), so being granted access as it stands now really isn’t a big thing. Trust me, you’d almost be MORE frustrated having access to this REALLY COOL site with all of these promised features only to find out that you can only experience a fragment of it. I can’t speak for any other beta testers out there, but I feel a little stifled at this point – and don’t visit the site much anymore because I don’t want to waste all of my galleons brewing potions that aren’t successful (which means I am contributing just about nothing to my House at the moment). Just my two cents, worth!

Posted by Ginevra86 on October 28, 2011, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Oh well – i thought it would open on Halloween. But honestly there are already so many people in the beta group! It’s so crowded! But please please somebody add music and sound effects!

Posted by Girlraven1 on October 28, 2011, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

Well I already got on so I’m not really complaining but this sucks for my friends who want to get in really badly but can’t and are really jealous of me. But I mean how long are they going to extend the beta? I mean they should be working on the second book by now already!

Posted by Acciobrooms on October 28, 2011, 05:57 PM report to moderator
Picasion

Aaaw! I was looking forward to getting it!

Posted by Weasleyisourking99 on October 28, 2011, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Irish_eyes_thumb

Okay, so I’d say 11/11/11 is out. Maybe they’ll go for 12/12/12.

Discouraging. Really, really discouraging. Especially for those of us who couldn’t sit up and wait half our lives for the ruddy quill only because we have to work full-time.

Posted by Night Zephyr on October 28, 2011, 09:21 PM report to moderator

"Welcome, Death Eaters," said Voldemort quietly. "Thirteen years... thirteen years since last we met. Yet you answer my call as though it were yesterday... We are still united under the Dark Mark, then! [i]Or are we?"[/i]