Pottermore Names Charlie Redmayne as CEO

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
October 10, 2011, 10:37 AM

The Bookseller is reporting that Charlie Redmayne, HarperCollins' Executive Vice-President and Chief Digital Officer, is set to become Pottermore's CEO on November 7th.  The report quotes Neil Blair, Ms. Rowling's longtime agent and Chairman of Pottermore, as saying Redmayne is "a formidable talent in both the digital and publishing spheres," and has an "'entrepreneurial spirit', [which] made him the ideal appointment for the role."

Pottermore had been under the helm of interim CEO Rod [not Ron as has been elsewhere reported] Henwood, but, as the Bookseller notes, Redmayne's appointment marks "the next phase of the project," according to Mr. Blair.  In regards to Pottermore, Redmayne calls it "a hugely exciting project which will take one of the greatest brands in literature into a digital future."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Wow a new CEO. I wonder how far he’ll take Pottermore (: I’m enjoying it so far.. I can’t wait to take a hand at dueling.

Posted by MagicalMe^_^ on October 11, 2011, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Sniget_thumb

I’m still curious about what, exactly, Pottermore’s business model is. How reliant is it going to be on the e-book shop when it opens? Is it going to ever be laden with ads? Will it ever require users to pay for some aspects of the Pottermore experience? Buy galleons with real money?

Posted by Ellorgast on October 11, 2011, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Indeed, I hope h speaks the truth, but until I see some changes on Pottermore, I won’t hold my breath. I do hope he fixes wizard duelling soon though, I was really looking forward to trying it out but by the time I got onto Pottermore it had already been taken down.

Posted by Jacket on October 12, 2011, 10:12 AM report to moderator

Interesting news, indeed. We’ll see how this all plays out.

Curious re: the comment area was supposed to be for beta comments. IMO, they sure didn’t make that clear! With they way it’s presented on the screen, it’s hard NOT to take that as an area for free commenting/chatting. Especially with it tying in to “recent activity”, not to mention being able to look at friends vs. everyone. Instead of just “Comments”, it needs to be labeled something like, “Please post your suggestions for improving the site”.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on October 13, 2011, 06:54 PM report to moderator

@Ellorgast – Good question re: business model. I really hope that PM itself stays free like JKR promised. And I’m not fond of the thought of buying galleons with real money (though I know many of the facebook games do that sort of thing). It seems like that could skew the playing field a bit. Not that we’re really competing for much on there so maybe it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

I’m hoping the store will have more than just the ebooks, which would help with them earning money. I’d love to see HP covers for the ereaders! While I like my plain black leather case for my nook, I would totally buy a Ravenclaw cover for it! I don’t think I’d mind if you could earn galleons with store purchases (i.e. buy an ebook and earn 10 galleons or something like that).

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on October 13, 2011, 07:00 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@MagicBclPlyr – Interesting thoughts about the galleons. I really don’t want Pottermore to become something similar to another Facebook game. Though you can already connect through Facebook. I haven’t tried it yet though.

Posted by purplehogwarts on October 15, 2011, 03:02 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Well, I’ll echo some of the comments, there’s still a lot of work to be done. I haven’t been on Pottermore in days. Not much to do if you don’t like trying to brew massively complicated & difficult potions & losing lots of house points in the process.

Posted by vespasian68967 on October 15, 2011, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Congrats Mr. Redmayne! He’ll hopefully do great!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on October 17, 2011, 04:17 PM report to moderator

Unless he was very much mistaken (and he was not planning on saying it to anybody, in case he was), he had just achieved an "Outstanding" O.W.L.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014