"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Nominated for Two Academy Awards (Updated)

Film Awards
Posted by: Rosi
January 25, 2011, 09:42 AM

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences this morning released the nominations for the 83rd Academy Awards. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" was nominated for two Oscars.

The film is up for the Art Direction award, facing competition from "Alice in Wonderland", "Inception", "The King's Speech" and "True Grit". Named in the  nomination are Stuart Craig (Production Design) and Stephenie McMillan (Set Decoration).

"Deathly Hallows: Part 1" was also nominated in the Visual Effects category. Named in the nomination are Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi. Also nominated in the same category are "Alice in Wonderland", "Hereafter", "Inception" and "Iron Man 2".

To see the full list of nominations, take a look at the Academy Awards website, at this link. The 83rd Academy Awards will take place on the 27th of February, with the red carpet at 3.30pm Pacific and the Awards Show at 5pm.

Update: A number of films starring members of the Harry Potter cast were also nominated.

"Another Year" - which stars Jim Broadbent (Slughorn), Imelda Staunton (Umbridge), David Bradley (Filch) - was nominated in the Original Screenplay category.

"The King's Speech", which stars Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange), Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore) and Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew), received a total of twelve nominations, including Best Motion Picture of the Year and a nomination for Bonham Carter in the Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role category. Alexandre Desplat, who composed the score for "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" and "The King's Speech", was nominated for Original Score.

"Alice in Wonderland", which stars Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Helena Bonham Carter, Timothy Spall and narrator of the British Harry Potter audiobooks Stephen Fry, received a nod in three categories: Visual Effects, Costume Design and Art Direction.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Film Awards News

For_the_greater_good_thumb

First!! Who did Stephen Fry play in Alice and Wonderland?

Posted by PeverellForever on January 25, 2011, 09:57 AM report to moderator
Pumpkin-seeds_thumb

Yay, first.
Deathly Hallows part 1 is very thrilling and I would have been surprised if it wasn’t nominated for at least 1.
Can’t wait for part 2 to come out. I’m sure it’s going to be even better.

Posted by Hedwig♪WBM♪OS on January 25, 2011, 10:03 AM report to moderator
Pumpkin-seeds_thumb

When I was writing my comment I was the first, so don’t mind me.

Posted by Hedwig♪WBM♪OS on January 25, 2011, 10:06 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

@PeverellForever – Stephen Fry portrayed Chessur, the Cheshire Cat.

Congrats to DH1 and all of the wonderful actors and actresses nominated. I am a little surprised that DH1 did not have more nominations.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on January 25, 2011, 10:08 AM report to moderator

The one I like is Art Direction, primarily Stuart Craig.

Posted by zoltan42 on January 25, 2011, 10:10 AM report to moderator
For_the_greater_good_thumb

@Want to be a Weasley. Thanks! I couldn’t remember. I knew Alan Rickman played Absolam (sp?) and Helena Bonham Carter played the Red Queen, but i couldn’t remember that one.

Posted by PeverellForever on January 25, 2011, 10:17 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

Keep it up! We are looking forward to see more progress in the future. Cheers!

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on January 25, 2011, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Avatars_house2_13_thumb

Congrats to all the actors and actresses nominated. :D Hope DH1 wins something

Posted by shi suisen on January 25, 2011, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Harrycloseup_thumb

I am disappointed =’(

Posted by HarryLoony on January 25, 2011, 11:12 AM report to moderator

i really hope it wins the hp movies deserve more recognition and hope part 2 gets more nominations next year. i have a feeling that it will

Posted by clpotter on January 25, 2011, 11:22 AM report to moderator
881_thumb

yayy:)part 2 is going to be even better!

Posted by tough~pygmy~puffs*ROAR* on January 25, 2011, 11:25 AM report to moderator
3106762989_1_7_lisbs0hy_thumb

DH1 could have won more..

Posted by CDR on January 25, 2011, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

great, it is time for the HP saga to get an oscar!

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on January 25, 2011, 11:56 AM report to moderator

I know that it’s been nominated and everything… which is great don’t get me wrong. But the competition is really good and Harry Potter has this air of “just a teen fad”, which anyone who has read the books can say is not true. My point is that I really hope they win but to me it seems quite unlikely.

Posted by nitaro48 on January 25, 2011, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

That’s awesome. Wish they one an Oscar.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on January 25, 2011, 12:00 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Want one, Granger?" said Malfoy, holding out a badge to Hermione. "I've got loads. But don't touch my hand, now. I've just washed it, you see; I don't want a Mudblood sliming it up."