What is the deal with Argus Filch?

Books
Posted by: John
January 24, 2011, 08:04 PM

Argus Filch is the favorite Potter character of a good friends of mine - no particular reason why. Thinking of Filch recently had me wondering, why would Dumbledore (or was it Armando Dippet) hire someone to a job as tedious and complex as being caretaker of a magical school to a squib? A poor old squib, unable to detect any sort of magical pranks being pulled on him by rowdy students, or able to clean any sort of magical spill without any magical means on his own, I've always found it a little sad.

If you are feeling as bad for Filch as I am right now, maybe you'll want to help him retain a bit of dignity fill out some of his Leakypedia page.

75 MyLeaky Points for Helping Filch!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Maura_s_epic_abstract_inverted_art

I guess no one really pays attention to Filch, becaus ein the books and movies he’s rlly just… there…JK maybe should have made a twist or conclusion why, I guess..

Posted by mistypaws5 on January 26, 2011, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

I think that no one really knew he was a squib, maybe they just thought he was bad at magic. He really wanted to keep his Kwickspell course a secret, remember?

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on January 26, 2011, 07:31 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

Dumbledore probably felt sorry for Filch, and gave him a job out of pity

Posted by jackyfaber101 on January 26, 2011, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12001 Points

I wonder if Dumbledore didn’t give him a few items to ease his chores, and obscure his squib status.

Posted by budgie on January 27, 2011, 10:35 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

I always think him is a very unfortunate and sad character, his position will always be reminding him that he is a squib and will never be a wizard. Though I really dislike the fact that he supports Umbridge.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on January 27, 2011, 11:30 AM report to moderator

I think Argus is very much like Dumbledore, Hagrid, Voldemort, and Harry. Hogwarts is his home, his kingdom. Dumbledore’s love of knowledge and tragic life made Hogwarts the perfect place for him. Hagrid, an orphaned outcast, found a place to fit in at Hogwarts. Voldemort, an evil ambitious meglomaniac orphan, found his home – his kingdom – in the place he found his true gifts, Hogwarts. Harry, the same as Voldemort only his heart was right and Harry wasn’t an evil git. Argus, in my opinion, desired to be magical and so he dedicated himself to the institution that shaped all the best witches and wizards. His own desire to be what he couldn’t be made him all the more dedicated to his non-magical tasks (cleaning, keeping the rules, etc). His continued lack of any magical qualities created in him a manic frustration that expressed itself in his hostile behavior towards the students who he watched become what he could never be. He had the desire to be great but it just wasn’t within him. That frustration created the pitiable creature we see in the books. Dumbledore may have kept him in hopes that he would some day come to terms with his own short comings, or maybe Dumbledore kept him because it is often useful to have an overzealous employee. You’ve got to admit that the man was determined to mop and clean and kept an eye out on every student that got out of line.

Posted by Coniglio on January 27, 2011, 05:59 PM report to moderator
31940_1368188618153_1634826053_846764_2109138_n_thumb

Dumbledore is a great man, he trusts people who deserve his trust, but sometimes, he trusts those who fail him without really knowing such. But still, he is a great man! Filch, in my opinion is a rule-follower, sometimes I like that, but sometimes I feel that it is too much. Also, I find myself feeling sorry for him.

Posted by potternotrotter on February 05, 2011, 12:01 AM report to moderator

And with a nasty squelching sound much like a plunger being pulled from a sink, he popped out his eye.[br]"Mad-Eye, you do know that's disgusting, don't you?" said Tonks conversationally.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014