What is the deal with Argus Filch?

Books
Posted by: John
January 24, 2011, 08:04 PM

Argus Filch is the favorite Potter character of a good friends of mine - no particular reason why. Thinking of Filch recently had me wondering, why would Dumbledore (or was it Armando Dippet) hire someone to a job as tedious and complex as being caretaker of a magical school to a squib? A poor old squib, unable to detect any sort of magical pranks being pulled on him by rowdy students, or able to clean any sort of magical spill without any magical means on his own, I've always found it a little sad.

If you are feeling as bad for Filch as I am right now, maybe you'll want to help him retain a bit of dignity fill out some of his Leakypedia page.

75 MyLeaky Points for Helping Filch!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Severus_x_2_thumb

I think your quill must have malfunctioned. Thanks :)

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 25, 2011, 06:47 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Aaaah now i’m in for some confusion.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on January 25, 2011, 07:23 AM report to moderator

I feel Argus Filtch has hidden his non-magic from the school. Thats why his KWIKSPELL correspondence course letter was something Filtch didn’t want Harry to tell anyone about and in the end told everyone anyway. This would also explain why Filtch worked so hard at the school. Just to keep his secrete.

Posted by jpeterson48371 on January 25, 2011, 07:32 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

Filch was an interesting character, to say the least, I loved the way him and Peeves got along!!!! that is to say NOT AT ALL!!!! Peeves loved aggravating Filch, and it is really ashame they could not have found the time to include Peeves in all of the Movies!!!! Filch loved Umbridge, and was so excited that he would be having more authority to punish students when she became head Mistress!!! for a spell!!!! I really liked Mrs Norris, a beautiful cat!!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on January 25, 2011, 08:24 AM report to moderator

Nice John. You spelled his name wrong. And yes, I am smarter than John Noe. Heheheheh… :) Don’t worry. I still think you’re awesome.

Posted by supermegafoxyawesomehot on January 25, 2011, 08:36 AM report to moderator
For_the_greater_good_thumb
I would have loved to see Filch and Peeves together in the movies. It would have been so funny. Since Filch liked Umbridge so much, I wonder if he liked Snape and the Carrows even more.
Posted by PeverellForever on January 25, 2011, 09:54 AM report to moderator
23853_380239903160_612108160_3797238_254090_n_thumb

I’m rereading Chamber of Secrets at the moment and thought the exact same thing! A bit of mud for a wizard: scourgify and you’re all set, whereas for a squib it means finding mops. (And he’s a squib, therefore didn’t get sorted, therefore isn’t a Hufflepuff, so not very good at finding.)

Oh and you spelled Filch wrong, John.

Posted by TonksftMemories on January 25, 2011, 10:07 AM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

haha is a weird character , its great

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on January 25, 2011, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Oh,now I’ve started to feel sorry for him…haha :-)

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on January 25, 2011, 12:02 PM report to moderator
Hp_timeturner_thumb

I always wondered if maybe Dumbledore gave him the job because he felt sorry for him? Afterall, he did that with Hagrid and pretty much Trelawney too. Maybe Filch just wanted to be at Hogwarts and in the end he didn’t care if he was a student or if he was staff, he just wanted to be there? And maybe he half thought all the magic from the students might one day rub off on him, like radiation or something. Except eventually he would have realised the truth that he would remain a squib forever, yet always surrounded by hoards of youngsters who take magic for granted, but he’d be trapped in limbo – not really a wizard and not really a muggle – so he’d never be able to do anything else or have any other job and … if you think about it like that, you really can’t blame him for becoming so bitter.

Posted by MissHorntail on January 25, 2011, 02:02 PM report to moderator
Caffiene_thumb

Ha. He spelled his name wrong. >:) I find that amusing. :) :)

Posted by Quidditchluver on January 25, 2011, 02:39 PM report to moderator

I really like MissHorntails comment! I want to point out that his first name is Argus. So , like in greek mythology, he s got an Argus Eye on things happening in Hogwarts, not a magical eye…..

Posted by Giant Fairy on January 25, 2011, 02:46 PM report to moderator

I’d like to think that Dumbledore knew he was a squib. He proved in HBP that he could detect magic, and he would have sensed that there was none in Filch. He probably just wanted to give the poor bugger a home. Filch had probably been an outcast all his life. This was his way of still having a place in the wizarding community, albeit an underapreciated one.

Posted by Redbeard on January 25, 2011, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

Just went and read his Wiki page, pretty neat story he has that you kind of forget about. He’s actually very involved in the main story.

Posted by Liderc on January 25, 2011, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Awwwwww Filch! :( I agree with MissHorntail and Giant Fairy!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 25, 2011, 04:05 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"[Malfoy] insulted my parents," snarled George. "And Harry's mother."[br]"But instead of leaving it to Madam Hooch to sort out, you two decided to give an exhibition of Muggle dueling, did [br]you?" bellowed Professor McGonagall.